• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NYPD Hissy Fit

Davka

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
These cops disgust me. Turning their back on the Mayor at a funeral, for daring to suggest they might need to clean up their act? And every time i see one of their spokesmen, they're whining about how they were only arresting people for selling looseys because that's what they were told to do, conveniently avoiding the fact that they were *also* told not to use choke-holds...

And now they're sitting and pouting with their cute little slow-down. Fuck 'em - the whole goddam system is clearly not working properly, time for a large-scale overhaul, with shit-tons of pink slips. Start with the assholes who used officer's funerals as a political stunt. After all, this slowdown seems to indicate that NYC doesn't need as many cops as it currently has in order to maintain order.

/rant

I'm not a big fan of Georgia's (the nation) Shashkavili (or whatever), but one thing he did do was fire every goddamn policeman in the country and start from scratch, to reduce corruption. It worked and didn't lead to anarchy. It is a lovely precedent. We know it can be done.

I'm not a big fan of Georgia's (the nation) Shashkavili (or whatever), but one thing he did do was fire every goddamn policeman in the country and start from scratch, to reduce corruption. It worked and didn't lead to anarchy. It is a lovely precedent. We know it can be done.

It appears we have forgotten our love for public worker unions.

These cops disgust me. Turning their back on the Mayor at a funeral, for daring to suggest they might need to clean up their act? And every time i see one of their spokesmen, they're whining about how they were only arresting people for selling looseys because that's what they were told to do, conveniently avoiding the fact that they were *also* told not to use choke-holds...

And now they're sitting and pouting with their cute little slow-down. Fuck 'em - the whole goddam system is clearly not working properly, time for a large-scale overhaul, with shit-tons of pink slips. Start with the assholes who used officer's funerals as a political stunt. After all, this slowdown seems to indicate that NYC doesn't need as many cops as it currently has in order to maintain order.

/rant

If there is a reason to detest an organization it is when that organization acts politically rather than professionally. Of course the cops are going to get the rap for what the union is inciting which is what I'm talking about.

the main failing of unions is that they choose to act in their member's interests by attacking motives rather than policies. Stop and frisk sucks and its right the people of NY choose to elect a person who advocated its elimination.

Now the people are allowed to vent on the mayor because the union sees this as a way out of the horrible mess they've managed to put themselves into. Does anyone see any good coming out of this radicalization that might help the both ones who are both trying to do their jobs and the ones who are feeling the effects of abuse of authority?

NYPD union leadership should be be treated like the Italians treated Mussolini when they realized he was abusing his authority at their expense./rantdu

The police have become militarized. But not when it comes to disobeying orders. Can you imagine what would happen if it was soldiers doing this rather than police?

Zing!

dismal said:

I will be the first to confess that this whole situation is causing me to rethink my erstwhile pro-union bent.

Jason said:

You see, honestly reevaluating your preconceived notions when confronted with new evidence is no reason for embarrassment. You should try it sometime.

This certainly highlights the potential for a union to become a retrenched power structure, just as corporate interests can be. One can also detect cult-like behavior in the NYPD union.

This whole period has been a sort of political awakening for me. I'm not sure where it will go.

I've been annoyed with unions for years now. I'd like to see them dissolved every few years, and rebuilt from scratch. The concept of the union is a good one, but in practice the scum tends to rise to the top.

Yes, because the misbehavior of some local police is a natural indictment of public employee unions. The shallowness of that thinking is truly frightening.

I will be the first to confess that this whole situation is causing me to rethink my erstwhile pro-union bent.

You see, honestly reevaluating your preconceived notions is no reason for embarrassment. You should try it sometime.

This certainly highlights the potential for a union to become a retrenched power structure, just as corporate interests can be.

This whole period has been a sort of political awakening for me. I'm not sure where it will go.

God I wish my union was powerful enough to even think to pull a stupid stunt like this. Our leaders couldn't organize a free fall down a mine shaft.

I agree with Davka on this one. Maybe they could try an informational picket line and see what the criminal element will do. I can't go with a Blue Flu which would and could hurt the public.

I think the fact that the NYPD union represents people who are individually powerful, while most unions do not, is significant.

The police have become militarized. But not when it comes to disobeying orders. Can you imagine what would happen if it was soldiers doing this rather than police?
uh, well, per the last 15 years of US military history, yes we can perfectly imagine what would happen if soldiers were doing this: absolutely nothing would happen, except for anyone questioning the military being called a liberal america-hating traitor.

Yes, because the misbehavior of some local police is a natural indictment of public employee unions. The shallowness of that thinking is truly frightening.

This is the 21st century! Don't you know that all groups of people will be held responsible for the actions of the dismally few bad ones in the group?

uh, well, per the last 15 years of US military history, yes we can perfectly imagine what would happen if soldiers were doing this: absolutely nothing would happen, except for anyone questioning the military being called a liberal america-hating traitor.
Might not have been clear but i was referring to De Blasio's order that they not protest, as Dave Lindorff noted.
NYC Cops Prove They Aren’t Really Needed
Of course deBlasio should fire the protesting cops in his city for another reason too. Police love to see themselves as domestic soldiers, and to adopt military imagery, awarding ranks like sergeant, lieutenant and captain, wearing American flag lapel pins, medals and braids, and dressing up in military gear for SWAT raids and patrols, armed with the latest semi-automatic arms. But when they publicly diss their boss — both the Mayor and the police chief who told them not to protest his eulogies — they do something that uniformed military personnel would and could never do without facing a court martial. It is totally unacceptable for public employees whom the public has entrusted with a license to kill to disrespect and to refuse the orders of their supervisors and their ultimate boss — the mayor.

We should have a betting pool on how long it will be before these jackasses don't turn their back on De Blasio. If it goes on until he is reelected with a landslide it would be awesome.

ho hum. Got any more from ancient history.

Never been the case. Unions are necessary. Union excesses are given. Now let's try to get cops back on the job.

No. Fuck the cops. They've been doing their work slow down and it's been great for people of color in the city so far. They need to keep not doing their jobs.

Back
Top Bottom