• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Obama wants "Cousin Pookie" to vote

Anyone who is encouraging others to get out and vote should not have it be a goal to get the uninformed and the crazy to get out and vote. Since they are the ones encouraging others, they should make that determination.

And they have and they dont think they are encouraging crazy people to vote, but CITIZENS to vote.

So, see, you can sleep easy.

Cousin Pookie is a sterotypical example of an uninformed citizen who is a couch potato, possibly a drug user, who doesn't follow politics for one second, who literally needs to be dragged away from whatever he is doing by family to go out to vote. Should we be encouraging Cousin Pookie to get out and cast his uninformed vote?

I understand why Obama would want them to vote since they are more likely to support D over R.

And they have and they dont think they are encouraging crazy people to vote, but CITIZENS to vote.

Cousin Pookie is a sterotypical example of an uninformed citizen who is a couch potato, possibly a drug user, who doesn't follow politics for one second, who literally needs to be dragged away from whatever he is doing by family to go out to vote. Should we be encouraging Cousin Pookie to get out and cast his uninformed vote?

I understand why Obama would want them to vote since they are more likely to support D over R.

Please post your links to your sources the the bolded bits. Thank you.

Please post your links to your sources the the bolded bits. Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jack_City

I actually have a Cousin Pookie (that is what we call her, yes I said her. She worked 35 years at the Post Office and now does about 25 hours a week in volunteer work and she is 68 years old which kinda predates chris rock, doncha think?) and I have people in my circle of family and acquaintances who many people would consider "cousin pookies" and none of them are the person you just described.

ya know...

When ya don't know, you should probably just leave shit alone.

jessayin'

Understanding Pookie

According to Urban Dictionary

"Pookie n nem" are the proverbial ominous "hood" characters and or family member that every person with a connection to the ghetto knows. They can be called at will to "whoop" and or "bust a cap in" yo ass...

Cousin Pookie (along with Ray-Ray) is who you can call on to get you out of a tight spot. And "Pookie n nem" always have your back and will always come when you call. Not a bad characteristic.

Notice no reference to drug dealing, unemployment, illiteracy, or ignorance of world affairs is included

Understanding Pookie

"Pookie n nem" are the proverbial ominous "hood" characters and or family member that every person with a connection to the ghetto knows. They can be called at will to "whoop" and or "bust a cap in" yo ass...

Cousin Pookie (along with Ray-Ray) is who you can call on to get you out of a tight spot. And "Pookie n nem" always have your back and will always come when you call. Not a bad characteristic.

Notice no reference to drug dealing, unemployment, illiteracy, or ignorance of world affairs is included

Did you miss the part where Obama said this?

Obama said:
He’s sitting on the couch right now watching football, hasn't voted in the last five elections, you’ve got to grab him, and tell him to go vote.”

Sounds like someone not interested in politics or world affairs to me (and thus very likely to be uninformed).

Yes. We should encourage everyone to vote, should discourage no one from voting, and should encourage all the Cousin Pookies to not just participate in their political system, but become more informed about politics. The way to get all the Cousin Pookies involved in the process is not to say "don't vote, you don't know enough."

Cousin Pookie doesn't have to become a political junkie, watch cable news every night and catch C-Span every morning. He just has to get up, maybe read a voter guide (I don't know about your state but mine provides a detailed guide to all the candidates and ballot proposals) and get himself down to the polling place. Participating in the process might just turn Pookie into a citizen who IS informed, and actually WANTS to vote.

This idea you're pushing - that we should actively discourage people from voting - is absurd. We want a citizenry that is informed, engaged, and participates in the democratic process, and telling people not to vote is counter productive to put it mildly.

...we've really got people mad that Obama said "cousin Pookie" now?

Understanding Pookie

Did you miss the part where Obama said this?

Obama said:
He’s sitting on the couch right now watching football, hasn't voted in the last five elections, you’ve got to grab him, and tell him to go vote.”

Sounds like someone not interested in politics or world affairs to me (and thus very likely to be uninformed).

Like football is on 24/7/52 and if you watch football, you couldnt possibly read a paper or listen to the radio.

Give it up, man.

If you wont listen to me, listen to dismal.

My guess is Cousin Pookie stays home because he is smart enough to know his vote won't mean shit.

When the candidates running aren't even mentioning issues you feel are important, When state governments run voter roll purges that disenfranchise tens of thousands of citizens at a time for nothing those citizens have done, when both political parties look at you and sees either a thug or an unwed mother, when both parties tell you if you just pull up your pants and play midnight basketball, your problems will be over, why should you participate in a process that legitimates an unrighteous system that can lead you to be the next young man in the way of a cop's bullet?

You wanna talk about Cousin Pookie?

Better you talk about something you know about.

And Pookie, Ray-Ray an' nem obviously ain't something you know about.

There is power in aggregation, which you are ignoring in favor of an individual point argument.

Whether cousin Pookie votes or not has nothing to do with "aggregation". Cousin Pookie is one person with one vote. You understand this right? The act of Cousin Pookie voting does not cause other people to vote? It affects just one vote?

Yes. We should encourage everyone to vote, should discourage no one from voting, and should encourage all the Cousin Pookies to not just participate in their political system, but become more informed about politics. The way to get all the Cousin Pookies involved in the process is not to say "don't vote, you don't know enough."

Cousin Pookie doesn't have to become a political junkie, watch cable news every night and catch C-Span every morning. He just has to get up, maybe read a voter guide (I don't know about your state but mine provides a detailed guide to all the candidates and ballot proposals) and get himself down to the polling place. Participating in the process might just turn Pookie into a citizen who IS informed, and actually WANTS to vote.

This idea you're pushing - that we should actively discourage people from voting - is absurd. We want a citizenry that is informed, engaged, and participates in the democratic process, and telling people not to vote is counter productive to put it mildly.

Where did I say actively discourage them from voting? I only said don't actively encourage them. And also, you will note, I said only if they are uninformed (meaning they also don't take the time to become informed by reading a voter guide, because obviously that would make them no longer uninformed). Yes, if you want to encourage people to first become informed before voting, you have my support.

Where did I say actively discourage them from voting? And also, you will note, I said only if they are uninformed (meaning they also don't take the time to become informed by reading a voter guide, because obviously that would make them no longer uninformed). Yes, if you want to encourage people to first become informed before voting, you have my support.
I agree with that.

If your interest is in preventing uninformed morons from voting, why do you support the Republican Party?

If you are referring to me, who said I support the republican party? The misrepresentation and baseless assumptions from the left about their political opponents is getting worse and worse.

However there is a reference to beating up people ("whoop") and shooting them ("bust a cap in yo ass"). So an enforcer rather than a crackhead? Of course I could never buy Chris Rock as an enforcer ...

By the standard you set, it is many of the Tea Partiers themselves who should not be voting. Have you posted a thread suggesting they shouldn't?
I oppose Tea Party politics as much as most here, but they tend to know who the vice president or their senators are. Or what's in the constitution. Or what each branch of the government does. Cousin Pookie or cousin Badger not so much.

Step 2: Determine what constituted "informed" by controlling the flow of information
How do you propose anyone do that in today's day and age?

Voter registration drives should be changed to voter information drives. Herding people just to register as many of them as possible should not be the goal. But most of these organizations are partisan and as long as big majority of people they register can be relied to vote D all is good as far as they are concerned. But it is not a good thing for small-d democracy. Instead people should be empowered to make their own choices.

Where did I say actively discourage them from voting? I only said don't actively encourage them. And also, you will note, I said only if they are uninformed (meaning they also don't take the time to become informed by reading a voter guide, because obviously that would make them no longer uninformed). Yes, if you want to encourage people to first become informed before voting, you have my support.

So let me see if I've got you right on this...

If an uninformed person were to ask you whether or not they should vote, you would say "no," but that's not discouraging them from voting. And if they said "what if I became informed" you'd say "that's great, just don't vote until you are" and that's in no way discouraging them from voting. You're not telling them to not vote, you're just telling them they probably shouldn't vote.

In any case, you think that people who don't meet your standard of political knowledge should not participate in the democracy. Is that fair to say?

Badmouthing Obama is not a rational basis for the assumption that one is a Republican now?

And it was a pretty simple and quite direct criticism applied more generally to our menagerie of conservatives and racists than to you specifically, Axulus. If any of you actually cared that ignorant and uniformed people are allowed and encouraged to vote, you'd find that huge swathes of reliable Republicans disqualified.

So yeah, take your hypocritical outrage and shove it.

However there is a reference to beating up people ("whoop") and shooting them ("bust a cap in yo ass"). So an enforcer rather than a crackhead? Of course I could never buy Chris Rock as an enforcer ...

Enforcer - the member of a group, especially of a gang, charged with keeping dissident members obedient.

Yet another word used imprecisely if not incorrectly.

Pookie, was s/he in a gang, is the member who backs your play in a fight with a rival gang, not keeps you in line within the gang. S/he doesn't fight you but fights for you.

Please stop.

Back
Top Bottom