• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Objective" Evidence

WTF... Now you think that you actually have an arm. Given your "philosophy", how do you "know" this? Isn't it just your subjective impression?

I tell what I experience as my arm to move and it does.

I have said again and again.

All a human has are their subjective experiences.

They have nothing else.

This is a fact some do not like.

They have no answer to it though.

Said your brain as it wrote this sentence.

WTF... Now you think that you actually have an arm. Given your "philosophy", how do you "know" this? Isn't it just your subjective impression?

I tell what I experience as my arm to move and it does.

All a human has are their subjective experiences.

They have nothing else.

This is a fact some do not like.

They have no answer to it though.

Said your brain as it wrote this sentence.

Said the thing that moves the ideas I experience.

You have no access to anything besides subjective experiences.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe you forgot to click your heels together?

You obviously cannot address any ideas.

You need to have a mind fit to use ideas to have any.

You are asking your own brain this question and your own brain is responding. You are insane.

I am asking anybody with a mind reading this.

So you have faith that others exist.

I do not ask my brain questions.

It is you so you don’t have to.

I tell my brain to move my arm. Now!

That is what I want you to believe.

- - - Updated - - -

So the question is, why are you telling yourself this?

The presence of an object is independent of a conscious agent's knowledge of an objects presence. Consider a person that that dies alone at a kitchen table. The table remains present upon death, even though knowledge of the table is lost to the one that has passed away. When another enters the room, he becomes aware that the table is present, but neither awareness nor knowledge was a factor in the streadfastness of the enduring presence of the table.

An agents knowledge of something has no bearing on the objective truth of the matter. We would not discover that which is true that it was present if it were not already true that what was discovered was already present.

The presence of an object is independent of a conscious agent's knowledge of an objects presence. Consider a person that that dies alone at a kitchen table. The table remains present upon death, even though knowledge of the table is lost to the one that has passed away.

A table is only present to a mind experiencing one.

- - - Updated - - -

So you have faith that others exist.

So do you I assume.

So the question is, why are you telling yourself this?

Dodge.

Worthy of a three year old.

Untermensche, do you consider yourself a solipsist? I'm a realist myself, because an external, objective reality and other conscious beings seems a more probable paradigm than just being a brain in a jar. But I do admit that there is no absolute proof that I'm *not* a brain in a jar.

A solipsist must ask him/herself- "how did my brain come to be, and who made the jar?" Even if all your experiences are totally subjective and internal, the experiences still present themselves to your awareness.

"Christ, what an *imagination* I've got!"
-Shalmaneser, the self-aware computer from John Brunner's novel Stand On Zanzibar

I know that Koy remembers Yahzi; I expect others here do, too. He had an infallible method of demonstrating objective reality- he called it the 'Baseball Bat Test'. Trouble was, he couldn't perform it online, only IRL.

Pity, that.
:D

A table is only present to a mind experiencing one.
That has an ambiguous overtone.

If you mean "present to a mind," as if to say there is no cognition of the tables presence without a mind to allow us to experience the fact there is a table present, then that is akin to saying we do not have awareness of its presence without a mind. In other words, knowledge requires a subject.

But, i'm not disagreeing that we cannot know of a table's presence without a mind. What I'm saying is that there is a table whether you know it or not. If it wasn't already there (already, I say), then mind or not, you would not have come to experience the fact it's there.

So, if you mean "present to a mind" as if to say the very presence of the table depends on there being a mind, then I wholeheartedly disagree. It's like you're saying everything we see disappears when we close our eyes, as if to say only what we actually see in the moment exists.

Untermensche, do you consider yourself a solipsist?

No.

But I have "faith" an external world exists.

All I have and all any human has are their experiences.

You will not see one person here waving their arms and dancing like they have to pee name something else.

If you mean "present to a mind," as if to say there is no cognition of the tables presence without a mind to allow us to experience the fact there is a table present, then that is akin to saying we do not have awareness of its presence without a mind. In other words, knowledge requires a subject.

What you call the "presence" of the table is an experience of it.

No experience means no presence.

If you have absolutely no experience of the table can you say there is a table?

What you call the "presence" of the table is an experience of it.

No experience means no presence.

If you have absolutely no experience of the table can you say there is a table?

The reality of whether the table is there or not is independent of what anyone believes or says.

The planet Neptune existed long, long before anyone "experienced" it, indeed long, long before there were humans capable of "experiencing" it. And, even though there are very, very few humans who have ever "experienced" it, it still exists even when no one is looking at ("experiencing") it.

The reality of whether the table is there or not is independent of what anyone says.

If there is no experience of a table how do you say there is a table?

What can say there is a table?

The only tables that can be said to exist are the tables that are experienced.

And saying a table exists is to say it is experienced.

And saying the table exists as more than an experience is just a belief.

Our minds are trained very early to trust what we experience.

As I said, what anyone "says" about the table, is irrelevant as to its existence.

What makes you think reality gives a shit about what you experience of say?

Not true at all.

It's existence is totally dependent on what people report.

If there are no reports of it's existence then it cannot be thought to have existence.

Back
Top Bottom