• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ontario teacher's union reduces weighting of votes cast by white people

If the straight people thought enough of me to furnish me with a weighted vote, then I would trust them, whether or not they gave me a weighted vote. We either succeed at getting along peacefully with the straight people, or we fail at getting along peacefully with the straight people.
If straight people thought so condescendingly of me to furnish me with a weighted vote, then I would distrust them.

If the straight people thought enough of me to furnish me with a weighted vote, then I would trust them, whether or not they gave me a weighted vote. We either succeed at getting along peacefully with the straight people, or we fail at getting along peacefully with the straight people.
If straight people thought so condescendingly of me to furnish me with a weighted vote, then I would distrust them.
Nah, you'd just try to use the power to fuck over transgender people.

Nah, you'd just try to use the power to fuck over transgender people.
What kinds of policies do you think would 'fuck over' transgender people?
I am sure you would try to think of something. I have zero confidence in your morals.
What do you think I would 'think of'? It appears to me you can't point to anything I've said that would be a policy that would 'fuck over' trans people, so you have merely decided to smear me without producing evidence.

Please, forget it, @Metaphor. I can't.
You want to smear me, and then you want me to forget you've done it? I can't.
The only reason that anybody can see it is that you left the quote in there. If you want to discuss it further, then DM me.
Everybody can see post #42 where you said I would find a policy to fuck over transgender people. Now I agree this thread should not be about your personal problems with me, but you were the first to bring it up.

Please, forget it, @Metaphor. I can't.
You want to smear me, and then you want me to forget you've done it? I can't.
The only reason that anybody can see it is that you left the quote in there. If you want to discuss it further, then DM me.
Everybody can see post #42 where you said I would find a policy to fuck over transgender people. Now I agree this thread should not be about your personal problems with me, but you were the first to bring it up.
Mods, please, I regret flying at this guy's throat. @ZiprHead or whoever is here, I am sorry for causing trouble. I'm going to put this guy on ignore, and I promise I won't be any further trouble.

the American system does not weight votes toward white people by design.

BZZZZZT.
Thanks for playing, and be sure to pick up a complimentary copy of "American History for Ignoramuses" on the way out.
The American system was designed from the ground up by white land owners and slave owners, to benefit white land owners and slave owners. That's why there's a Senate and an electoral college.

BZZZZZT.
Thanks for playing, and be sure to pick up a complimentary copy of "American History for Ignoramuses" on the way out.
The American system was designed from the ground up by white land owners and slave owners, to benefit white land owners and slave owners. That's why there's a Senate and an electoral college.
It was designed to weight rural people and less-populous states over other states.

But, if you believe that a system that weights votes by race is unfair, I agree.

*wing-shrugs*

It would suit me just fine if they gave the same kind of weighting to benefit transgender members, too.

If white members have not actually been doing anything to unfairly advantage themselves, then they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The demonstration of trust toward their minority coworkers could only serve to improve relations in my own humble opinion.
Well, that's silly. I certainly wouldn't trust a White person who did this shit.

BZZZZZT.

I get what you're saying, sort of. But I still think you're wrong.

The Founders couldn't even imagine a world in which BIPOC voters exist, or female voters.
What they were worried about was keeping the wealthy WASP dudes together in opposition to the British. That's why the Senate and House, nothing about race. The British Empire, and it's military power, remained a threat for decades. A dire threat to the aristocracy of the Colonies.

Once that threat faded they turned on each other. We call that episode of U.S. history "The Civil War", but it really wasn't one. It was two different colonialist cultures going to war over the interests of the ruling WASP males of the two cultures. "The War of Northern Aggression" is much more apropos.

The bottom line is that the system rigging done by the Founding Fathers was not racist. Racism and gender bigotry were so completely taken for granted that they didn't bother mentioning them in documents like The Declaration of Independence, so we are left with treasures like "All men are created equal..."

Really, the casual ignorant bigotry of folks like Thomas Jefferson has been a boon to humankind.
Tom

...keeping the wealthy WASP dudes together ... nothing about race.

See what you did there?
Of course it was about race, as you inadvertently point out.
I agree, it was probably the farthest thing from their minds at the time.
In that era it was just assumed by WASPs that WASPs were people, Catholics were misguided people, and everyone else (blacks, Asians, indigenous populations) was just an animal.
You even allude to that fact:

the system rigging done by the Founding Fathers was not racist. Racism and gender bigotry were so completely taken for granted that they didn't bother mentioning them in documents

The acceptability of racism or misogyny at the time does not mean there was no racism or misogyny.
Since you keep saying what I'm saying, I am assuming that you recognize the structurally racist nature of the design of The Republic, and are just reticent to place a lot of blame for it on the Founders.
FWIW I am of similar opinion.

In that era it was just assumed by WASPs that WASPs were people, Catholics were misguided people, and everyone else (blacks, Asians, indigenous populations) was just an animal.
But that's why your analogy fails. Giving some white people, based on their geography, a weighted vote over other white people isn't "about" race.

In fact, there could have been an analogy that was fitting - if for example the teacher's union had decided each district was to be given equal weighting on a board or a vote, even if the districts had different sizes to each other. And had they done that, there'd be no OP, because geographical weighting for an upper house of some kind is a feature of many voting systems that, whether a good idea or not, is unremarkable.

But that's why your analogy fails. Giving some white people, based on their geography, a weighted vote over other white people isn't "about" race.
Yeah, the slave owners who wrote the Constitution weren’t racist, because they treated white trash almost as badly.
Almost.
But a tad better, because the white trash would have revolted if they didn’t have the darkies to look down on.

Back
Top Bottom