• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Open Office

Libre Office, which shares a lot of similarities with Open Office, can save files in the newer docx and xlsx formats.

As a rule, OO is updated less frequently and with fewer new features than LO; OO is therefore sometimes dated, but is also less prone to bugs.

I pretty much only use LO these days, though I used to use OO a lot. My preference is for LO, mainly because it's able to save documents in the latest MS Office formats, that are frequently requested by organisations and individuals who exclusively use MS Office.
Thanks for the info.... I'll check out LibreOffice on Mac and Windows too.... it would be better to be able to keep it in the docx and xlsx formats as far as my family goes....

I had a simple .docx file I made with Word 365 and was trying to save it as .docx in LibreOffice....

It shows the following warning but then doesn't warn you again....

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 11.57.41 am.png

I had a simple .docx file I made with Word 365 and was trying to save it as .docx in LibreOffice....

It shows the following warning but then doesn't warn you again....

View attachment 34298

Yeah, it's a CYA warning. A simple document is generally fine, but if it's got lots of tables, embedded objects, or complex formatting, it might not save properly as .docx If in doubt, save a copy in each format, so if opening it in Word stuffs it up you've still got a good LO copy.

I haven't had any issues with it.

Back
Top Bottom