• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Origami hero needs help with paper science

Dekusta

Basic Beliefs
Find out what morality is should be our concern. If we are wrong, then we have to stop.
So, I'll begin this new comics project with some friends and I have decided to create a paper/origami themed superhero because why not.

He will have, of course, the ability of paper manipulation, or "papyrokinesis", although I haven't decided the extensions of his powers yet.
Now, when an origami themed hero comes to mind, however stylish that may be, it doesn't seem very threatening. I know, he could use a magical paper that is strong as steel or whatever, but style points are in order if he could use oridinary paper to make something dangerous and escape the "enchanted object" cliche.

So I wanted to pick your brains on how to make this hero threatening. What kind of paper constructs could he build that would be useful in a fight? What scientific aspects of paper could be explored by his powers in order to make him a threat to his enemies? Bonus point if origami elements, such as crease patterns, are included, although I have plenty of ideas on that part myself.

Cool! Some of my research is in the mathematics of origami. I'm more interested in the theoretical side, but here are a couple of ideas for semi-practical application:
  1. Universal fold patterns - a material with a single fold pattern that can become many different objects. Since the folds are fixed, they can be hinged and you can use something more durable than paper, like a single sheet of steel with many small hinges that can become several different weapons/tools. There is research that shows that there are universal fold patterns that can approximate arbitrary 3D objects (by making them out of tiny folded cubes). Engineers have already started making origami robots out of these patterns.
  2. Physical resizing - Miura folds and their variants are used to take large sheets and compressing them to a small package. (they use this on solar panels, etc). Combined with 1 would mean you could use a large sheet with a universal pattern that can be folded relatively small for transport and then refolded into large and useful tools etc.
  3. The fold and cut theorem - With a single, straight cut, you can cut any (polygonal) shape out of an appropriately folded sheet. You can even cut multiple shapes out with a single cut. Not sure what use that would be, but it's cool. Maybe making multiple throwing stars with one cut. :D
There are definitely more, but that's what I have off the top of my head.

I'd be really disappointed if he can't flick it, like ninja star knives. Of course, he would be able to give other weak materials greater structural integrity because of his knowledge of folding. Shielding, building, etc.

Are the police going to want him for rustling? (sorry)

So, I'll begin this new comics project with some friends and I have decided to create a paper/origami themed superhero because why not.

... What kind of paper constructs could he build that would be useful in a fight? ...
Here are some ideas...

hqdefault.jpg

latest

latest

192f40dc3b6f16f1321d18937d91238b1325605094_full.jpg

It's an old manga/anime series, Read Or Die. You're going to need to do something brilliant to differentiate yourself, or it will just end up looking like fan-fic.

We used to put pins in the point of paper airplanes and try to pop balloons. Hadn't thought of that in many, many years.

Back
Top Bottom