• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Packing the Supreme Court?

I already answered all this here.

Packing the court has always meant adding seats. Saying that Barrett's appointment is "classic court packing" is just stupid.

Or it's that you can't handle the truth. "Court packing" does not mean and never meant simply adding seeks to the court, it means adding them in an illegitimate norm-violating manner. There is nothing inherently illegitimate about adding seats, what makes it illegitimate is the context of how it's done.

FDR wanted to add seats simply because he didn't like the rulings, which was considered an illegitimate reason.

Republicans likewise blocked Garland's confirmation for illegitimate reasons. They also jammed through Barrett's confirmation very sketchily. They stole seats and in effect packed the court.

You haven't refuted any of it.

FFS, so you’re saying Ginsburg got it wrong?

FFS? As if RBG has godlike authority to you? First Biden, then Ginsburg. Interesting.

What is she supposedly right about? Quote it. And how does it answer what I've said?

FFS? As if RBG has godlike authority to you? First Biden, then Ginsburg. Interesting.

What is she supposedly right about. Quote it.

You have not cited a single person defining it as you do before Ginsburg died. Use your search talents. If you’re right, it’d be easy to find. Otherwise, fall off the wall already, Humpty Dumpty.

You're dodging again. Just quote her at least.

Don't expect people to click on videos. Why won't you just quote her? I did click the Breyer link and I don't see that he said anything about "court packing." You don't even read your links, you probably haven't watched the video neither.

Doesn't matter anyway really, since scotus justices are not authorities on what is a political issue.

Mondaire Jones on Twitter: "It’s not unprecedented for Congress to adjust the size of the Supreme Court to defeat white supremacy. We’ve done it three times before. Here are some examples from our nation’s First Reconstruction. 🧵🧵" / Twitter
It’s not unprecedented for Congress to adjust the size of the Supreme Court to defeat white supremacy. We’ve done it three times before.

Here are some examples from our nation’s First Reconstruction. 🧵🧵

The year was 1861.

The Supreme Court was run by white supremacists who decided Dred Scott.

President Lincoln warned that if Congress didn’t check the Court, “the people will have ceased to be their own rulers.”

In 1863, Congress answered Lincoln’s call — expanding the Court.

Then in 1866, after Lincoln’s assassination, the white supremacist Andrew Johnson was President. A seat on the Court sat empty.

If Johnson filled it, the Court could have halted Reconstruction.

So Congress shrank the Court from 10 justices to 7, and Johnson never filled a seat.

In 1869, Ulysses S. Grant succeeded Johnson.

Grant strongly supported Reconstruction.

So Congress once again expanded the Court, to its current nine justices.

Here’s why this matters.

On three separate occasions, Congress changed the size of the Supreme Court to help defeat white supremacy.

Today's far-right majority has been reviving Jim Crow. We must learn from history and do what it takes to stop them.

We must #ExpandTheCourt.
Good idea.

As to FDR's court packing, though his attempt to do so failed, the court did not revoke any more New Deal stuff.

I think that what the democrats are trying to do too. They are telling a conservative court to back off and not try to block their legislation.

I think it's obvious that if the situation were reversed the republicans would be doing the same and more.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/eQcBbvLOJR8[/YOUTUBE]

Ted Cruz on court packing.

Ted Cruz' lies are so naked and so craven.

I think it's obvious that if the situation were reversed the republicans would be doing the same and more.

And likewise, had Trump tried to appoint three additional justices like Kavanaugh or the Notorious ACB, the Democrats would be calling it a coup.

Back
Top Bottom