• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pascal's wager...

I see it differently.

A Strong ateapotist says 'There is no teapot.'

A Weak ateapotist says 'I don't believe there is a teapot.'

An agnostic says, 'I don't know if there is a teapot.'

It's not about what people say. It's about what they believe. It is possible that the Pope isn't Catholic, because it's possible he's lying about what he believes.

You're right that a weak ateapotist doesn't believe there is a teapot, but she also doesn't believe there's not a teapot; she doesn't believe either way.

Two categories that you didn't cover:

A strong ateapotist believes there is no teapot.

A gnostic knows (or thinks she knows) whether there is a teapot.

It's not about what people say. It's about what they believe. It is possible that the Pope isn't Catholic, because it's possible he's lying about what he believes.
Well, he has a vested interest in keeping the peace among the uninformed slaves of the corrupt. And he might feel (if he's deliberately ignorant) like he's doing the best thing anyway- working towards the end goal of the creation of a global system with an AI that takes care of as much conscious life as possible (so there is no guilt, I did good!!!).

Of course, that isn't what exists (evidenced by... well, Trump and the US military/ law enforcement, etc.).

It was far easier to create a global AI for the corrupt to enjoy life, without ensuring that the maximum amount of conscious life is "saved", and this AI uses religions to vent the masses. It aims them at something other than the true culprits, who really don't need to be good to feel good, demonstrated by the efficacy of various euphoria inducing drugs (and the corrupt being able to rape and feel pleasure within their castles).

It's disgusting, but true. Only those outside of the corrupt AI feel real suffering a large portion of their lives- which is why they tend to disagree with what the AI allows the corrupt to do, without getting much of a voice (other than just enough illusory voice to keep them from destroying the system that uses them to do the shit work for the corrupt).

Ha... it's fucking sad and disgusting, but it is what it is. No escaping that.

Too bad they found a way to feel good about themselves while being bad- if evil is bound to win (because it can do things good cannot), being on the side of evil is the best you can do in life, and then you enjoy the benefits of being on the side of evil.

<-- that's sort of the Christian argument that only God can make things good, but the Christians are the evil ones who use God to gain power.

<-- that's the argument (by the corrupt who throw bones out here and there) that it's better to have belief in a God placing you were you are in this life, so you at least have hope and some foolish belief in the goodness of others (which is enjoyable), because you're not going to get more from your position in the corrupt socioeconomic system in this life anyway- give up, believe, it will be more pleasurable for you in the long and short run.

Of course, those of us who love the truth more than we like pleasure? Screwed. And if too many of us die off on the bottom, it will get inconvenient for the corrupt on top. So we live our hellish lives, they get pleasures and joys, and throw us a bone sometimes. Yeah!! Corrupt overlords, can I have a nicer place to live and some more stuff since I know what's going on?

Nope. They're pieces of shit, and they really love ass kissers. Which I am not (possibly foolishly, but fuck them). Ok, I do kiss ass when threatened. Try it. :D Come on. ... pussies.

Back
Top Bottom