• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Personality or ideology?

Philos

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Folks,

Around the time of general elections there is always a lot of hype about the leaders of political parties. I have been wondering if people tend to base their vote more on a political leader that they like or more on the ideology of the party that they like?

Personally, I am drawn to ideology as I am aware that there is a whole apparatus behind a political leader and also parties have a track record of legislation which tends to follow a pattern over time.

The media, and folks in general, do to talk as if the leader is the big deal, but I’m not so sure about that.

Alex.

I try to concentrate on the policies (only the unkind would call it ideology) of the various parties, individuals etc: It can get hard to find out what is what sometimes as we rely on the media so much and they have a tendency to concentrate on what will get a headline rather than informing the populace. The internet has made it a little easier to separate the wheat from the chaff but there is some much chaff out there.

I try to concentrate on the policies (only the unkind would call it ideology) of the various parties, individuals etc: It can get hard to find out what is what sometimes as we rely on the media so much and they have a tendency to concentrate on what will get a headline rather than informing the populace. The internet has made it a little easier to separate the wheat from the chaff but there is some much chaff out there.

Tigers!,

Its interesting to compare the terms 'policies' and 'ideology'. I think of policies as particular measures put in place to reflect the basic ideas of a political party on wide issues such as freedom, opportunity, fairness and the like. IMHO, when we know the ideology of a political party it is no difficult thing to guess what policies will be coming along.

Alex.

What possible difference does it make?

Positions taken are usually phoney anyway. They are pieced together through marketing strategies like focus groups. Obama campaigned on many things, like a government option in healthcare. But when his insurance company friends were done that position was abandoned with ease.

The business that comes before the Congress is the business of the rich. Positions in campaigns are powerless to change this. One congressman, or president with a position you like means absolutely nothing.

Tigers!,

Its interesting to compare the terms 'policies' and 'ideology'. I think of policies as particular measures put in place to reflect the basic ideas of a political party on wide issues such as freedom, opportunity, fairness and the like. IMHO, when we know the ideology of a political party it is no difficult thing to guess what policies will be coming along.

Alex.
Alex
I was a little loose using ideology and policies as I did. Certainly ideology is what they believe or desire and policies is how it will be achieved.
Ideology though has connotations to some people that cause them to react badly so i prefer not to use it.

Alex

I was a little loose using ideology and policies as I did. Certainly ideology is what they believe or desire and policies is how it will be achieved.
Ideology though has connotations to some people that cause them to react badly so i prefer not to use it.

Tigers!,

I do agree with you on that point. To be honest, I have used the term in an emotive way myself when pinning down someone who can't compromise an inch on their views. Like when we say that someone is an 'ideologue'.

Alex.

Neither. I'd want to see their voting record. If they had never held public office before, I'd want to see their work record. If they'd never done real work, I certainly wouldn't elect them to a position of making decisions on behalf of working people.

Back
Top Bottom