• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Plastic surgery disasters

Philos

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Folks,

There are lots of photos of plastic surgery disasters, and one which really upsets me is Meg Ryan.

Watching ‘Sleepless in Seattle’ last night, she had such a pretty face and lovely smile. Her plastic surgery produced the well known ‘fish lips’ look and I couldn’t bear to watch another movie of hers, just couldn’t do it. Pundits commented on the career damaging surgery and she appeared in Youtube lists of catastrophic procedures.

How could such a small difference do so much damage? But I guess if we were to see screen close ups of Ingrid Bergman or Audrey Hepburn with fish lips the result would be the same.

How does this happen to high profile people who should have been better advised?

A.

It's hard to understand how anyone could see some of that work as an improvement. The surgeon should know better even if the customer is delusional.

It is difficult to get someone to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

--Upton Sinclair

Not good, often shockingly bad.

Here's a website with before and after pictures of celebrities.

These are not good comparisons. Most of the before and after pictures have at least 20 years in between. Of course these people looked better in their 20s. You are comparing a flattering publicity shot of Meg Ryan in her 20s with an unflattering paparazzi shot (probably selected to be unflattering) of her in her 50s.

Not good, often shockingly bad.

Here's a website with before and after pictures of celebrities.

These are not good comparisons. Most of the before and after pictures have at least 20 years in between. Of course these people looked better in their 20s. You are comparing a flattering publicity shot of Meg Ryan in her 20s with an unflattering paparazzi shot (probably selected to be unflattering) of her in her 50s.

Fair points, but nevertheless the effects and consequences of their surgery is quite clear. The difference between natural aging and what we see here is notable even when your factors are considered.

Some people become addicted to plastic surgery and changing their look. It’s a shame.

Yep. Friday at the company Christmas party I was seated across from our newest sales person, and she had the fish lips. And the fake eyelashes. And the fake everything. From a distance or in staged photos she looked good, but from a few feet away? I felt bad for her. She's a nice enough person, but up close the work is so painfully obvious, and bad. Somewhere under the surgery and makeup was once a pretty woman, but it was hard to look her in the face.

I feel terrible for looking at her that way, but I also wonder what drove her to have that much work done.

Some people become addicted to plastic surgery and changing their look. It’s a shame.

Yep. Friday at the company Christmas party I was seated across from our newest sales person, and she had the fish lips. And the fake eyelashes. And the fake everything. From a distance or in staged photos she looked good, but from a few feet away? I felt bad for her. She's a nice enough person, but up close the work is so painfully obvious, and bad. Somewhere under the surgery and makeup was once a pretty woman, but it was hard to look her in the face.

I feel terrible for looking at her that way, but I also wonder what drove her to have that much work done.
I have discussions with my bff/beautician over the same thing. I think the makeup these days is ridiculous and way OTT!

Back
Top Bottom