• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pokemon Go

Suppose you have two people with the app at the same place looking in the same direction at the same time. Will they both see the same pokemon (or lack of pokemon), or is the app tailored to an individual phone?

All of that could be said about almost everything that you think is a problem/threat that people should be concerned about.

Millions have legal guns and only a fraction of them wind up hurting anyone. Calm down and let people enjoy their guns.
Millions of people text while driving and only a tiny fraction of the time does it cause an accident. So let people enjoy their texting and driving.

almost every day I already watch at least one phone-focused pedestrian walk right into the street without looking or pausing for cross traffic. This game is guaranteed to make that worse.

Which is it? Are we supposed to calm down and let people enjoy their game because only a tiny fraction are risking their lives? Or are we supposed to be concerned because people are following their phones into traffic?

For fuck's sake people, the game itself warns people to be aware of their surroundings.

One of my roommates who never leaves the house besides to go to work or go drink with friends left our house to go 'catch a pokemon', which she mentioned to me as she left around 8:30 pm last night.

I get that I should just let people have fun, but I can't help but find it hilarious watching a 31 year old shut-in go out to catch Pokemon.

For fuck's sake people, the game itself warns people to be aware of their surroundings.

That should do the trick. And my son's Wii would interrupt his gameplay every few minutes and recommend he go outside for a while.

He never did.

Someone tried to show me this on their phone yesterday and I was unable to pay attention at the time. The way it was explained sounded like that George Clooney movie where the girl went to Tomorrowland and was walking around using that magic decoder that showed a magic city. It ranks up there with John Carter and if you haven't seen it you totally should btw. There is a scene where she is following a supernatural device that reveals an invisible dimension sitting on top of a swamp or something.

I've been playing this game for the last three days and I think its pretty goddamn awesome, and whoever thought of this game is a genius. It's only been out for a few weeks and it's probably already made a million dollars, and it has only be released in the US and a few other countries. This will probably be one of the most money making video games of all time because you can download the game for free but it costs real money to excel at the game. Last night my sister and I were walking around in the park around 10:00pm looking for pokemon, and we didn't just find some but also some other friendly people who were also looking for pokemon. You should buy stock in Nintendo if you have money. http://www.wsj.com/articles/pokemon-chasing-investors-send-nintendo-shares-soaring-1468228206

Suppose you have two people with the app at the same place looking in the same direction at the same time. Will they both see the same pokemon (or lack of pokemon), or is the app tailored to an individual phone?

It seems to be tailored to the individual player most of the time, but you can do things in the game that make the other players with you get involved too. It's kind of hard to explain the way the game works. Apparently the company that made this game has a deal with google to let them use google maps and also the GPS on smartphones. There are certain landmarks all over the place in every city where you can get find new creatures to find and train to fight. There are also places marked on your GPS where people can compete against each other with the pokemon they have trained. I'm not an expert because I got like ten of my pokemon killed earlier at the local diner down the street after I got off work.

it's probably already made a million dollars, and it has only be released in the US and a few other countries. This will probably be one of the most money making video games of all time http://www.wsj.com/articles/pokemon-chasing-investors-send-nintendo-shares-soaring-1468228206

Its made about 14m I think.

14 million in just a few weeks, and it still hasn't been released in Japan or Europe yet. Anybody who has extra money should buy stock in Nintendo.

There'll be issues with trespassing and liabilities...:shrug:

There's already lots of that. Memorial sites, cemeteries, private property, dangerous areas...

It's like Pokemon Go was designed to thin out the Darwin awards people while simultaneously benefiting everyone else by making them get out and move their bodies and socialize.

I see it as a net positive.

There'll be issues with trespassing and liabilities...:shrug:

There's already lots of that. Memorial sites, cemeteries, private property, dangerous areas...

It's like Pokemon Go was designed to thin out the Darwin awards people while simultaneously benefiting everyone else by making them get out and move their bodies and socialize.

And then someone will get shot and yadayadayada...But at least they'll die having fun, and that's a positive...:p

And then someone will get shot and yadayadayada...But at least they'll die having fun, and that's a positive...:p

Someone's already been robbed at knife point and there was a headline about a murder, but I didn't investigate past the headline so who knows. But with millions playing, there's bound to be lots more exciting stuff ahead.

Someone's already been robbed at knife point and there was a headline about a murder, but I didn't investigate past the headline so who knows. But with millions playing, there's bound to be lots more exciting stuff ahead.

And copycat apps.

Pokemon Go is so awesome
Pokemon Go cured my gonorrhea

Last edited:
This guy told me Pokémon made him walk 30 miles in the past few days. This reminds me of a deep web game people were playing a while back. GPS sent you to a treasure and the main objective was not getting killed. Something like that. Drugs may have been involved idk.

Back
Top Bottom