• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pope Francis: Have Children, Not Pets

I can't imagine there are many people out there who really want children but don't never have them because they keep getting a pet instead.

So that either leaves people who can't have kids - so it's incredibly insensitive of him
or don't want kids - and why would you want people who do want children to be parents?

and why would you want people who do want children to be parents?
I assume you mean 'don't?'

But there are those people who don't care what the potential parents want.
One would be the church that's loosing members fast.
The other would be would-be grandparents who wear those sweaters "So you're telling me that my grandchild wears a leash?" Some wear it ironically, some wear it...bitterly.

Now all those grandmothers can say that their POPE says, "You'll end up bitter and alone, Sweetheart. And i can always make this sweater into a pillow or something."

and why would you want people who do want children to be parents?
I assume you mean 'don't?'

But there are those people who don't care what the potential parents want.
One would be the church that's loosing members fast.
The other would be would-be grandparents who wear those sweaters "So you're telling me that my grandchild wears a leash?" Some wear it ironically, some wear it...bitterly.

Now all those grandmothers can say that their POPE says, "You'll end up bitter and alone, Sweetheart. And i can always make this sweater into a pillow or something."

My parents lament that neither of my brothers nor myself have produced offspring, but they don't make us suffer because of it. They are just resigned to the fact. Mind you, they are also resigned to the fact that non of us is likely to actually marry either. :)

I don't want kids because I don't really like them & I have no interest in raising one. Which would suggest I wouldn't make a particularly good parent. I could end up bitter & alone anyway!

His Popeness is just like the guy on the next barstool. He scrubs his teeth and spits the mess into the sink. When he craps he gets paper, wipes his anus and drops the shitty paper into the toilet and flushes. His crap doesn't float away to heaven. He has to cut his nails, scrub the perspiration and oil off his scrotum, wash his smelly armpits and get the navel clean, among other things. The guy is just a guy who blows his nose and trims those nose hairs.

So when he pontificates it's no different than listening to your favorite drinking buddy, despite the fact that millions of cult followers follow his every move and he's attended by half a dozen doctors and an entourage of people with funny clothes wherever he goes. My drinking buddies would do no worse.

This Pope has made quite a name for himself advocating tolerance. That does not mean however that he is anything but another false authority. How a celibate person can advocate conditions for others he does not accept for himself is beyond me. He is just another authority, playing the same tired monotheistic tune.

I can't imagine there are many people out there who really want children but don't never have them because they keep getting a pet instead.

So that either leaves people who can't have kids - so it's incredibly insensitive of him
or don't want kids - and why would you want people who don't want children to be parents?
(quote corrected - in the way you intended, I hope, for clarity)

Because the big man in the sky said so!
Wanting children is the duty of a catholic couple, otherwise they would just be living together for support, companionship, or even *gasp* sex!
Seriously, not intending to have children is one of the few grounds for a catholic priest to refuse to marry you.

So the Pope is encouraging folks to have children for selfish reasons - as an investment to have people who will be obligated to visit and take care of you when you're old. Better have a bunch of them, in case some die before you reach old age. That also lets society (including people in the church) off the hook about visiting old people aside from their own parents or grandparents. If you're old and childless and lonely, the church can just say, "It's your own fault. You should have had kids. Don't expect any solace or help from us. We are only obligated to visit our own parents, not you." I'm kind of surprised the Pope was so direct about this.

As for childless people who spend a happy old age with a network of friends and/or extended family, childless people who are involved in their communities, or who happily pursue their careers or hobbies, I suppose the Pope doesn't want to encourage any of that. No, choosing to not have children has got to be associated with selfishness and greed (with an exception, of course, for those in religious offices). While selfish motives for having children - oh, those are actually selfless!

I'd rather have a cat.

^^^^ YEP.

And what about those of us who cannot have children?

...bitter and lonely... it is very simple... try to follow along with the choir.

I am neither bitter, nor lonely. I am just one of the unfortunate women who are not able to bear children. Thankfully I am not religious either so who cares. I will stick to the DBF, 3 dogs and 2 cats that I have and be perfectly content.

Back
Top Bottom