• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Post pandemic world

Temporarily gone & not missed, by me:
> about 6% off Trump's approval rating (on the news today, 5/5/20). Surely we can do more of that.
Apparently not. You look at this approval rating throughout the Presidency, it is hard to know exactly what is going on. You know the market is scrubbing a lot of value at parts, there is a trade war, the who Ukraine thing, Mueller, and people dying a lot... but his approval rating from the duration between impeachment and now is about as good as it has gotten for him. He is substantially higher than his first year when we adjusting to the fact that yes, he wasn't going to "grow into" the role as President. He has a fucking domestic death toll, told people in a public press conference that shining lights inside of people and injecting disinfectant are things his experts will look into... and he is still mid 40s!

I-yi-yi...cleaner air didn't fit in that lineup!!

Definitely should include cleaner air. And hopefully cleaner water.

One of the reasons that I'm a not thrilled with a lot of international trade is the damage that shipping does to the environment. Also: if it's cheaper somewhere else, it's likely because whatever country is producing it is ignoring small things like human rights and decent wages/work conditions and any environmental concerns.

In general, I'd like to think we'd become less materialistic because of choice and not because we're forced to do so.

How much do we think the world will be changed post-pandemic?
no.
though if it is, it will definitely be for the worse in terms of the average human condition: ie, any change will be a net negative for most people.

Will we learn any lessons from the clearing of air as people are forced to stay the fuck at home?
Will families learn to actually...cook dinner at home and spend time together, possibly in the same room?
Will more people work from home?
Will we recognize with appropriate pay essential workers such as medical staff of all kinds, grocery store workers, restaurant workers, retail workers?
Will enough of us recognize that it is good to have environmental protections in place and push to go beyond what Bush is removing now (sorry for the US centric question--same thing as appropriate in your neck of the planet)?
Will we do school differently?
no.

Will schools have sports again? Dances? Extracurricular activities?
yes.

Will we recognize how vital teachers are to our present day economy and not just to our kids future (which I'm convinced a lot of people give fuck all about anyway)?
Will we recognize that maybe our kids' difficulties with behavior, attention span, discipline, getting along well with others, etc. are perhaps not the teacher's fault?
Will we become less reliant on our cars, on going wherever we wish at a second's notice?
no.

Will we have jobs?
Will there ever be new movies or television shows or are we stuck with endless repeats forever and ever?
yes.

Will we be forced to...read a book for entertainment? Play board games? Take up knitting?
Will quilting have a revival?
no.

Will we have weddings again? Funerals?
unfortunately. of all the stupid, pointless wastes of energy and resources that humans seem set on committing two these are some of the worst offenders.

What if a state opened up it's retail and no one came to shop?

My Local News said:
At times on Tuesday afternoon, the day Ohio retail shops were permitted to re-open, no shoppers could be seen at Legacy Village in Lyndhurst.
No pent-up demand here. No demand whatsoever. I might be so bold as to say, no desire. It does say "no shoppers could be seen", does it not? Why yes, yes it does.

This post pandemic world could be interesting.

My Local News said:
At times on Tuesday afternoon, the day Ohio retail shops were permitted to re-open, no shoppers could be seen at Legacy Village in Lyndhurst.
No pent-up demand here. No demand whatsoever. I might be so bold as to say, no desire. It does say "no shoppers could be seen", does it not? Why yes, yes it does.

I don't think it's because people are being so cautious but because a lot of every day people are just plain broke.

My Local News said:

Most of Legacy Village is still closed.

My Local News said:

I don't think it's because people are being so cautious but because a lot of every day people are just plain broke.
Normal everyday people don't shop at Legacy Village. I don't shop at Legacy Village! The most I do there is Cheesecake Factory. Actually, I did buy a small spoon sifter at the Crate and Barrel once. That is where the well-to-do shop. The oddity is that Beachwood Mall which is across diagonally, has had a violence issue.

An economic recover looks like being a long process with a good deal of suffering for many small business people and workers.

I think the next generation, today's children and teenagers, will all grow up to be germophobes.

I was thinking that probably we would display some of the characteristics and attributes of the post- Spanish flu works, whatever they may have been.

My grandparents all survived the spanish flu They were all 15-20 years old. Never thought to ask them before they died.

Back
Top Bottom