• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pozner talk at Yale, the usual suspects must watch.

Pozner is known by many Americans.

He was on a political show with Phil Donahue in the US for a few years.

640px-Pozner_and_Donahue.jpg

OK, I finished watching the whole thing, you definitely must watch the whole thing, not just the first 40 minutes.

Last edited:
I have watched his presentation but not the Q&A's.

The scary thing about Trump long term is not the many things that he is wrong and naive about but the taint that he will attach to the few things that he is right about. Which is in virtually every case he is right about as a consequence of his avarice and ego. He is right that we should be treating Russia more as an equal to reach a lasting peace to avoid a new cold war and he is right that globalization has hurt the middle class in the US possibly irreparably.

The two most destructive paradigms that have shaped policies in the US over the last forty years are neoliberalism and neoconservatism. Both have come into play in our relations and our treatment of the Soviet Union first and later of Russia. Pozner is right that the Wolfowitz doctrine, the full expression of neoconservatism, was responsible for the ill-treatment of Russia leading up to the New Cold War and the missed opportunity for an equable peace,

But he might not fully appreciate the small-minded reason for this behavior which is neoliberalism, the idea that we should be changing our economy from one that works into one that has never existed anywhere at any time, the self-regulating free market, which seems to involve doing those things that transfer the maximum amount of income and wealth in our current economy to those who already have a large amount of income and wealth. I propose that you don't have to be that much of a cynic to believe that the pursuit of neoliberalism has less to do with the devotion to the idea and belief in the self-regulating free market and more to do with the enthusiasm on the part of the wealthy to accumulate more income and wealth and their control of the Republican party and at least half of the Democratic party to achieve it.

And as a part of this, I have to ask the question what results in more wealth transferred to already rich, the continuation of the cold war with its many and almost continuous small wars and its high defense budgets or forging a lasting peace?

Why don't you boil down what Pozner said instead of making us watch an hour of video?

Why don't you boil down what Pozner said instead of making us watch an hour of video?

Agreed. I'm interested in debating people like Barbos who can debate me back. I'm not going to waste my time listening to videos from people who can't respond to me.

Well, Pozner basically repeats everything I said on this topic over the years, sometimes suspiciously exact same thing.
Now, I know you are not going to watch it.

It's generally considered rude to expect people to watch a video without commenting on what's in it and then expecting people to debate about it.

It's generally considered rude to expect people to watch a video without commenting on what's in it and then expecting people to debate about it.
I posted the video not to open a debate but to close it.

Is this your first time on the internet?

Is this your first time on the internet?
No, for your information I started NCSA Mosaic for the first time in spring/summer 1993 (months or even days since it was released), Had been using gopher/ftp and other ancient protocols before that.

SimpleDon, stay on topic.

Why is my post not on topic? I agreed with Pozner and I explained why.

You did agree and then went off topic, mentioning for some reason Trump and other irrelevant stuff like income inequality.

I didn't mention income inequality. The reason that I mentioned Trump is that Pozner mentioned Trump. Didn't you listen to him?

After listening to the Q&A I found more that I agree with. I would be willing to discuss what I agree with from Pozner and where I don't but I can't promise that I won't stray off into your idea of what is irrelevant.

This is a discussion board. We are supposed to discuss the OP. I am sorry that you don't appreciate my ideas of why what Pozner said happened did happen.

Or perhaps you don't agree with Pozner. You don't seem to agree with me, though you seem to be reluctant or incapable of telling me why.

Do you have a different idea of why the Soviet Union and then Russia were treated so badly by the US?

Possibly everyone was possessed by evil spirits? Or it was the fault once again of the liberals? Or of racism? Or cold war momentum? Hubris? Spite? I considered all of these except for the evil spirits and liberals, those were jokes. All of the rest probably had a part in the problem but none could explain the persistence of the problem, except for what I presented in my irrelevant post.

Or are you going to keep insisting that why they were treated so badly is irrelevant?

Oh, I see. You don't want to discuss the video. It is a pity that you posted it on a discussion board, isn't it?

You did agree and then went off topic, mentioning for some reason Trump and other irrelevant stuff like income inequality.

I didn't mention income inequality.
here are your words:
which seems to involve doing those things that transfer the maximum amount of income and wealth in our current economy to those who already have a large amount of income and wealth
The reason that I mentioned Trump is that Pozner mentioned Trump. Didn't you listen to him?
Yes, I watched the whole video, he mentioned him in the context of election interference, which is not what you went to.
After listening to the Q&A I found more that I agree with. I would be willing to discuss what I agree with from Pozner and where I don't but I can't promise that I won't stray off into your idea of what is irrelevant.
You went off topic, or you watched some other video :)
This is a discussion board. We are supposed to discuss the OP. I am sorry that you don't appreciate my ideas of why what Pozner said happened did happen.
And going off topic means you are not doing that :)
Or perhaps you don't agree with Pozner.
Oh I more than agree with him, so much so that he "copied" my points from this very board pretty much verbatim.
You don't seem to agree with me, though you seem to be reluctant or incapable of telling me why.
I did not say I disagree with your ideas. I just think they are not relevant to the OP.
Do you have a different idea of why the Soviet Union and then Russia were treated so badly by the US?
I don't care about that, and neither did Pozner. His and my point is, US treated/treats Russia unfairly. "Why" was not part of his talk.
Possibly everyone was possessed by evil spirits? Or it was the fault once again of the liberals? Or of racism? Or cold war momentum? Hubris? Spite? I considered all of these except for the evil spirits and liberals, those were jokes. All of the rest probably had a part in the problem but none could explain the persistence of the problem, except for what I presented in my irrelevant post.
That should be a different discussion.
Or are you going to keep insisting that why they were treated so badly is irrelevant?
Yes, to this thread it's irrelevant. But for the sake of argument let's assume they are fucking assholes, that's why.

Back
Top Bottom