• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

President Biden's Infrastructure Plans

Pull their snouts out of the trough, Joe. I wanna hear them squeal.

It was telling last Thursday when Biden announced what everyone knew he was going to announce (raise taxes on the rich) and the stock market had a mini crash within the hour.
Never a more sure sign that the stock market is NOT the economy!

It seems to me that to you leftists this "infrastructure plan" is primarily about hiking taxes on people you don't like and only secondarily about actual spending, infrastructure related or not.

And by the way TV, letting people keep more of their money is not them keeping the "snouts in the trough". That lovely image is much more fitting for people with negative effective tax rate because of all the refudable credits (EITC, child tax credit) they receive, in addition to entitlements like food stamps, section 8 housing etc.

“Leftist”! Me? I’ve always thought myself much the pragmatist. It’s just that I see a gulf of difference in the unearned income of those who live comfortably and those who’s life is a constant struggle just to make it to the end of the month.
My “snouts” comment is just that I abhor this Capitalism Run Amok system that few enjoy and so many more cling to thinking that can actually be them one day.

It seems to me that to you leftists this "infrastructure plan" is primarily about hiking taxes on people you don't like and only secondarily about actual spending, infrastructure related or not.

And by the way TV, letting people keep more of their money is not them keeping the "snouts in the trough". That lovely image is much more fitting for people with negative effective tax rate because of all the refudable credits (EITC, child tax credit) they receive, in addition to entitlements like food stamps, section 8 housing etc.

“Leftist”! Me? I’ve always thought myself much the pragmatist. It’s just that I see a gulf of difference in the unearned income of those who live comfortably and those who’s life is a constant struggle just to make it to the end of the month.
My “snouts” comment is just that I abhor this Capitalism Run Amok system that few enjoy and so many more cling to thinking that can actually be them one day.
If Medina, Ohio is known for anything, it is producing Leftists. :D

Republicans unveil $568 billion counterproposal to Biden's infrastructure plan
The White House is evaluating a $568 billion Republican counterproposal to President Joe Biden's sprawling $2.25 trillion infrastructure package, and sees it as a starting point for negotiations.

White House aides plan to look into the details of the proposal and discuss it with congressional staff in the coming days, press secretary Jen Psaki said. Biden plans to invite members to the White House for further talks after his address to Congress next week, she said.

"We certainly welcome any good faith effort and certainly see this as that, but there are a lot of details to discuss and a lot of exchanges of ideas to happen over the coming days," Psaki said.
'Far too small': Democrats pile on GOP infrastructure plan - POLITICO
Senate Republicans unveiled their infrastructure counteroffer Thursday — a $568 billion package that made it more apparent than ever that a deal between the parties may be out of reach.

Democrats set the plan aflame even before Republicans released the details, denouncing its top-line figure as anemic given the nation’s needs. The GOP proposal also relies on a set of mostly unrealistic pay-fors, and would impose user fees instead of the Democrats’ approach of raising corporate taxes.

"It fails to meet the moment we're in," said Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.), who like some other Democratic senators said it was "not a proposal I could support."

The new Republican proposal is about a quarter of the size of President Joe Biden's more than $2 trillion proposal — and also smaller than former President Donald Trump’s $1.5 trillion infrastructure plan from three years ago. It’s also significantly narrower than either of those other plans, focused primarily on transportation infrastructure along with items like broadband and water projects.
At least the Republicans are proposing *something*.

That's a false dichotomy. People can have earned income and still live comfortably. On the other hand, people who rely on unearned income instead of working can struggle.
Also, I wonder what you consider "unearned income"? If I work and invest some of my money in the stock market, should I be penalized for it with high tax rates?

I interpreted your "snouts" comment as this belief, common among leftists, that government letting you keep the money you earn is some sort of handout, as if all money belongs to the government by default.

That's a false dichotomy. People can have earned income and still live comfortably. On the other hand, people who rely on unearned income instead of working can struggle.
Also, I wonder what you consider "unearned income"? If I work and invest some of my money in the stock market, should I be penalized for it with high tax rates?

I interpreted your "snouts" comment as this belief, common among leftists, that government letting you keep the money you earn is some sort of handout, as if all money belongs to the government by default.

I am referring to unearned income, income one does not have to work for. How it affects one's level of comfort. I am not referring to one's level of comfort and how it is obtained (as you injected earned income into the discussion to present it as a false dichotomy).

If you invest your earned income and that earned income makes unearned income, you've just made money for sitting on your ass doing nothing. Now then, it is my position, if your ass is already fat and happy, I see no reason that unearned income should not be highly taxed, penalized, pilloried for your success, or whatever you want to call it. After all, you've obtained the unearned income because you got lucky, not because you're a savvy investor. Just needed to get that out so we're on the same page, that no one is kidding themself here.

On the other hand we have unearned income in the form of support for those who cannot make ends meet. These people are not fat and happy in this context. Now, I'm not talking about the lazy ones who sit around drinking forties, smoking weed, and making babies. Or the physically or mentally handicapped. I'm talking about those who are willing to and do work hard every day but their intellectual capacity is such that they do not nor will they ever make enough to make ends meet.

And again, my "snouts" comment here refers to unearned income, not "money you earned".

:confused: What is this gibberish? Proposed tax hikes apply to people earning over $400,000 annually — this makes the complaint I've colored brown nonsensical in this context.

As for the purple gibberish, Derec seems unaware that unearned income is now taxed at a much LOWER rate than earned income. Apparently Derec is one of those defending the super-rich without the educational experience of actually filing a tax return with a rich man's unearned income!

The green comment — though a non sequitur here — is a meme common among right-wingers who've never studied history. It gets a key relationship exactly backwards!! It is only through some form of government that property rights emerged at all!

Derec said:
If I work and invest some of my money in the stock market, should I be penalized for it with high tax rates?
As for the purple gibberish, Derec seems unaware that unearned income is now taxed at a much LOWER rate than earned income.

The Republican party relies on that kind of ignorance (really gotta wonder where Derec gets his "information").
They try to make every poor sucker who votes for them feel like they'd be rich - "if only the Dems weren't stealing from you". Meanwhile, those Republicans have their dirty little fingers in everybody's pockets, feeding their donors the money they blame Dems for stealing.

There's no point in trying to negotiate with the Republicans. They have made it very clear they don't want honest negotiation.

^ That, in spades. It's probably an accident that they have made that fact so clear, but there is no denying the track record since 2008. They only want to obstruct, delay, and again blame the Dems for getting nothing done, so they can put their dirty little fingers back in the pie.

I looked for other recent Green New Deal sorts of bills, and I found more more bills, like:

H.R.2803 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): To address the impact of climate change on agriculture, and for other purposes. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress by Rep. Pingree, Chellie [D-ME-1] (Introduced 04/22/2021)

H.R.2872 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): To establish an integrated national approach to respond to ongoing and expected effects of extreme weather and climate change by protecting, managing, and conserving the fish, wildlife, and plants of the United States, and to maximize Government efficiency and reduce costs, in cooperation with State, local, and Tribal Governments and other entities, and for other purposes. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Cori Bush on Twitter: "Happy #EarthDay!

Celebrate by becoming a citizen co-sponsor of my bill to federally fund Green New Deals for every city, town, tribe, and territory — because environmental justice needs to be rooted in our communities. (link)" / Twitter

She linked to We all need a Green New Deal - at gndforcities.com - "You may receive email updates from Cori Bush for Congress, People's Action, Ayanna Pressley for Congress, Sunrise, Jamaal Bowman for Congress, Justice Democrats, Working Families, LeftNet, Common Defense, Ro Khanna, and 350 Local Group Network, the sponsors of this petition."

I think that President Biden would go farther, at least as a negotiating strategy, Like say "AOC is right. We need to spend $10 trillion on infrastructure and green energy." Then the Republicans might offer to support $3 or $5 trillion. Biden then says "That's a deal", the Republicans agree, and he gets plenty of money.

Back
Top Bottom