• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

President Biden's Infrastructure Plans

I heard one bit of conjecture last week that Manchin and Sinema will hold out as long as they can but will eventually vote for the bill. They want to keep the corporate donations coming in as long as possible.
A bit optimistic, but AOC has a good point about what Congresspeople say vs. how they actually vote.

Jamaal Bowman on Twitter: "Wow @Sen_JoeManchin, ..." / Twitter
Wow @Sen_JoeManchin, with all due respect, when you say you’re a no on Build Back Better - is it you? Or is it the special interest 💰💸 that powers you?

I’m inviting you to my district to see just how badly we need this bill. Will you tell my community “No” to our face?

Impact of your “NO”:

- no more child tax credit payments
- no affordable childcare
- no paid leave
- no immigration protections
- no community violence & trauma intervention funding
- no $35/mo cap on insulin
- no down payment assistance
- no housing vouchers
- no sewer, wastewater, or drinking water investments that are in BBB, not BIF
- no public transit investments
- no $ for making flood insurance more affordable
- no substantial climate protections
- no relief for middle class homeowners

West Virginian’s need these things, too.

Bernie Sanders on Twitter: "If Sen. Manchin wants to vote against the Build Back Better Act, he should have the opportunity to do so with a floor vote as soon as the Senate returns. (pic link)" / Twitter

Joe Manchin explodes at reporters asking about $2T Biden bill
Sen. Joe Manchin on Wednesday angrily shouted at reporters to go away — telling one, “You are bulls–t!” and “I’m done!” after he was peppered with questions about his reluctance to support President Biden’s mammoth social spending bill.

“I’m not negotiating with any of you, OK?” the West Virginia Democrat said as reporters followed him around Capitol Hill.

Manchin added, raising his voice: “You guys, let me go. This is bulls–t. You are bulls–t! OK? I’m done! I’m done! God Almighty.”
I'm not negotiating with you (the press), when it didn't seem he was really ever negotiating with the progs or Biden either.

And again, we need to remain calm, a Republican Manchin will really fuck things up for Biden.

Bernie Sanders on Twitter: "If Sen. Manchin wants to vote against the Build Back Better Act, he should have the opportunity to do so with a floor vote as soon as the Senate returns. (pic link)" / Twitter

It humorous that lefties think this would hurt him back home. Biden is very unpopular in WV.

U.S. SENATE COMMITTEE ON THE BUDGET
Chair, Senator Bernie Sanders

NEWS: Sanders Calls for Senate Vote on Build Back Better

BURLINGTON, Vt., Dec. 19 - Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, Sunday issued the following statement after Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) announced he would not support the Build Back Better Act:

If Sen. Joe Manchin wants to vote against the Build Back Better Act, he should have the opportunity to do so with a floor vote as soon as the Senate returns. He to should have to explain to West Virginians and the American people why he doesn't have the courage to stand up to powerful special interests and lower prescription drug costs; expand Medicare to cover dental, hearing and eyeglasses; continue the $300 per child direct monthly payment which has cut childhood poverty by over 40%; and address the devastating impacts of climate change. He should also have to explain why he is not prepared to demand that millionaires and large corporations start paying their fair share of taxes.

I also find it amusing that Sen. Manchin indicates his worry about the deficit after voting just this week for a military budget of $778 billion. four times greater than Build Back Better over ten years and $25 billion more than the president requested."
Good idea. Just as AOC said.

Joe Manchin explodes at reporters asking about $2T Biden bill
Sen. Joe Manchin on Wednesday angrily shouted at reporters to go away — telling one, “You are bulls–t!” and “I’m done!” after he was peppered with questions about his reluctance to support President Biden’s mammoth social spending bill.

“I’m not negotiating with any of you, OK?” the West Virginia Democrat said as reporters followed him around Capitol Hill.

Manchin added, raising his voice: “You guys, let me go. This is bulls–t. You are bulls–t! OK? I’m done! I’m done! God Almighty.”
I'm not negotiating with you (the press), when it didn't seem he was really ever negotiating with the progs or Biden either.

And again, we need to remain calm, a Republican Manchin will really fuck things up for Biden.
Agreed. When we have some people actively trying to overthrow our government, keeping the senate democratic is more important than having one individual bill pass.

It humorous that lefties think this would hurt him back home. Biden is very unpopular in WV.
Yep. Manchin is just like any other politician; he takes positions that maximize his votes at home. AOC, Sanders and Biden would not get elected to popular office in West Virgina. If people want build back better passed in the future, elect more politicians who support the programs.

Yep. Manchin is just like any other politician; he takes positions that maximize his votes at home. AOC, Sanders and Biden would not get elected to popular office in West Virgina. If people want build back better passed in the future, elect more politicians who support the programs.
As I understand, this bill has wide support in his homestate.

Nah.

WV voters slam Biden, approve of Justice, Manchin in latest MBE Research poll

“Voters want to be listened to. When they feel like you’re listening to them, they will reward that either at the polls or in numbers like this,” Blankenship said. “I think that’s what’s recognized here is that Senator Manchin is listening to the people of West Virginia.”

The MBE Research poll also found 78 percent of voters said they support Senators Joe Manchin and Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.) working together in a bipartisan effort to pass the national infrastructure bill to address roads, bridges, power and other needs.

Nearly 74 percent of voters also said Manchin should oppose the president’s Build Back Better plan.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "That part ⬇️" / Twitter
noting
Sherrilyn Ifill on Twitter: "Manchin is Manchin. ..." / Twitter
Manchin is Manchin. But what kind of healthy democracy is structured in a way that can allow one man elected by 290,000 voters in one of the least populous states to thwart the agenda of his party and the President who was elected with 81 million votes. We need structural change.

It’s like getting exorcised over McConnell’s shameful treatment of Garland, but spending no time thinking abt how to change a system that allows one Senator to hijack the Supreme Court confirmation process; to decide to hold the size of the Court at a random number for 18 mos.

The Court expansion conversations still haven’t taken hold of this structural flaw. A President Biden cld conceivably nominate addl justices but if McConnell’s Republicans control the Senate none would be confirmed? We are in crisis b/c too many structural flaws can be exploited.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "That part ⬇️" / Twitter
noting
Sherrilyn Ifill on Twitter: "Manchin is Manchin. ..." / Twitter
Manchin is Manchin. But what kind of healthy democracy is structured in a way that can allow one man elected by 290,000 voters in one of the least populous states to thwart the agenda of his party and the President who was elected with 81 million votes. We need structural change.

It’s like getting exorcised over McConnell’s shameful treatment of Garland, but spending no time thinking abt how to change a system that allows one Senator to hijack the Supreme Court confirmation process; to decide to hold the size of the Court at a random number for 18 mos.

The Court expansion conversations still haven’t taken hold of this structural flaw. A President Biden cld conceivably nominate addl justices but if McConnell’s Republicans control the Senate none would be confirmed? We are in crisis b/c too many structural flaws can be exploited.
But it's not one man. It's 50 men and women senators who are against the bill. If you want a bill that can pass, modify it to entice some of the moderates. That's how the system is designed.

Mehdi Hasan on Twitter: "Don’t forget: this isn’t just about Joe Manchin. It’s about the dark money and billionaires and coal interests behind him, which keep winning at ours and the planet’s expense. Manchin is a living breathing reminder that America is often more oligarchic than it is democratic." / Twitter

Joe Manchin on Build Back Better Act: He'll vote no. - CNNPolitics
A person familiar with the discussions between President Joe Biden and Manchin told CNN it was clear Manchin was headed in this direction as Biden privately told aides this week, he was no longer confident he could ultimately get the West Virginia Democrat on board. But White House officials were surprised when Manchin informed them Sunday morning he had already arrived at a final decision.

Their reaction was, obviously, not positive, according to the source. One senior administration official told CNN it was "totally a surprise." Manchin informed the White House they were the first to know and he had not told even his staff yet.

State of the Union on Twitter: ""He's continued to move the goal post. He has never negotiated in good faith and he is obstructing the President's agenda." - Democratic Rep. Ayanna Pressley on Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin saying he won't vote for the Build Back Better Act. (links)" / Twitter
Transcript:
Pressley Responds to Manchin Announcement Refusing to Support Build Back Better Act | Representative Ayanna Pressley
TAPPER: Senator Sanders said just a few minutes ago, that this would create a stark difference in the 2022 midterms, where Democrats are on one side pushing for lower prescription drug prices. Child care, et cetera, the things that are in Build Back Better and Republicans opposing it. But I wonder if you think it might actually have the opposite effect of suppressing and depressing, progressive voters, younger voters, voters counting on some of the things in the Build Back Better Act and actually causing them to be disillusioned, disappointed and not turn out to vote in 2022, even more than Democrats normally do not turn out to vote in the midterms.

REP. PRESSLEY: Jake, it was a multi-generational, multi-racial movement of the most marginalized, Black, brown, AAPI, Indigenous, LGBTQ, disabled, who made this Democratic majority possible, many of them issues-based activists, championing the need for police reform, to dismantle mass incarceration, to combat the climate crisis, to actualize racial justice, to cancel student debt.

It is incumbent upon us to do everything possible to meet the needs of that most marginalized movement, which made this majority possible we run the risk of risking the majority, not by going big, but by playing small. So of course I have concerns about us not keeping our promises.

TAPPER: Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley, thank you so much.

Andrew Solender on Twitter: "Pressley:
"The Senate must return to session immediately and bring this historic and transformational bill to a vote so Senator Manchin—and every Republican who has opposed it from the very beginning—can demonstrate, on the record, the contempt they have for their constituents" (pic link)" / Twitter

from
Rep. Pressley’s Statement on Obstruction of Build Back Better Act | Representative Ayanna Pressley

Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "100% agree. The Senate must reconvene immediately and bring BBB to a vote regardless of Manchin’s statement.

If they forced folks to go on record with BIF, they can force the Senate to go on record with BBB. We can take it up again next year too.

@AyannaPressley is right on." / Twitter

Ilhan Omar on Twitter: "West Virginia is
50th in public health
50th in childcare
48th in employment

They support Build Back Better by a 43 point margin.

This has nothing to do with his constituents. This is about the corruption and self-interest of a coal baron." / Twitter

Nina Turner on Twitter: "I’m going on @cnn in about 20 minutes to share my thoughts on Joe Manchin playing games with this legislation 👀" / Twitter

Cori Bush on Twitter: "Honestly, I’m frustrated with every Democrat who agreed to tie the fate of our most vulnerable communities to the corporatist ego of one Senator. No one should have backed out of our initial strategy that would have kept Build Back Better alive.
@POTUS, you need to fix this." / Twitter

Wanting the Senate to pass BBB before they will vote on BIF, the infrastructure bill.

Shahid Buttar is running against Nancy Pelosi in CA-12 -- he did so in 2018 and 2020. Back when BIF was passed:
Shahid Buttar for Congress on Twitter: "We are witnessing capital assault democracy yet again.

I would have voted against the bipartisan infrastructure privatization package.
No Democrat should be claiming victory from its passage. It paves the path to even greater corporate control over public resources. (vid link)" / Twitter

Shahid Buttar for Congress on Twitter: "@CoriBush @POTUS You have every right @CoriBush to be frustrated with your colleagues. We certainly are!

The strategy to #HoldTheLine was working, right up until dozens of voices who claim to share progressive values fell for a predictable establishment ruse. /1" / Twitter

Shahid Buttar for Congress on Twitter: "@CoriBush @POTUS Most observers of the BBB legislative process failed to notice Pelosi’s strategy in real time.

Journalists who repeat the words of dynasty politicians—while overlooking their actions, and crucial critiques raised by challengers—serve the establishment instead of transparency. /2" / Twitter

"Sudden and inexplicable"? What planet were they on? The Dems have been going ...
SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-max-1mb.gif

... at Manchin for months!

Several differences, of course. Most fundamentally, national defense is constitutionally a core role of federal government. Childcare and increased subsidies for breeding are not. Second, this is the entire defense budget, while the B3 is an increase in entitlement spending. Overall, entitlements are much more costly for the federal government than defense.

Over 10 years, like the spending in BBB.
That was just it. The spending was not over 10 years. House Dems resorted to a trick where they price spending for fewer years (as short as one year for EITC and CTC) even though they fully intend for all these programs to be permanent. That's because Manchin wanted the B3 to cost $1.75T instead of $3.5T, but House Dems did not want to sacrifice any spending programs, so they resorted to accounting gimmicks to make it appear cheaper. Luckily, Manchin wasn't swayed by such cheap tricks.

No, economists have not "pretty uniformly" said throwing trillions at an already inflationary economy will reduce inflation.
Not even Dems are claiming that any more. What they are saying these days is that the extra spending will help families deal with inflation. Which of course does not help those of us (no children and/or no large SALT deductions) not getting much if any extra money from the B3.

I would say most members of Congress have substantial investments. I would like to see a verification on the numbers. But even more I would like to see some verification of the claim that the coal plant he is invested in is "one of the dirtiest coal plants in West Virginia". Who is this Andrea Junker anyway?

Nah.

WV voters slam Biden, approve of Justice, Manchin in latest MBE Research poll

“Voters want to be listened to. When they feel like you’re listening to them, they will reward that either at the polls or in numbers like this,” Blankenship said. “I think that’s what’s recognized here is that Senator Manchin is listening to the people of West Virginia.”

The MBE Research poll also found 78 percent of voters said they support Senators Joe Manchin and Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.) working together in a bipartisan effort to pass the national infrastructure bill to address roads, bridges, power and other needs.

Nearly 74 percent of voters also said Manchin should oppose the president’s Build Back Better plan.
That says nothing about the bill.

People hated Obamacare but loved the ACA.

Seems like the people of WV should support bills based on what’s in them and not who signs them.

VOTERS SUPPORT THE BUILD BACK BETER PLAN We tested support for the Build Back Better plan, the $3.5 trillion budget proposal Democrats in Congress are now considering. We find that likely voters in the state support this proposed investment plan by a margin of +43 points. Democrats, Independents, and Republicans support the plan by margins of +86 points, +33 points, and +22 points.

VOTERS SUPPORT THE BUILD BACK BETER PLAN We tested support for the Build Back Better plan, the $3.5 trillion budget proposal Democrats in Congress are now considering. We find that likely voters in the state support this proposed investment plan by a margin of +43 points. Democrats, Independents, and Republicans support the plan by margins of +86 points, +33 points, and +22 points.
Yeah, how about a poll that is not from  Data for Progress, a "left-wing think tank"?

If we’re lucky, the regressive Dems will continue to spit venom at Manchin confirming he made the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom