• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

President Trump on the Psychiatrist's Couch again

I don't agree. Granted, a formal diagnosis without an examination is unethical according to the APA.

But I don't see why a psychologist couldn't say Trump's behavior is consistent with and a troubling indication of eg paranoia.
If I were a mental health professional, especially a spokesperson for an organization for the protection and advancement of the profession, i'd fear that a psychologist could spend 10 minutes piling up disclaimers, such as "I have not examined nor treated Mr. Trump, nor have I had five minutes alone with him, but I would say that his behavior in the October 4th press conference, especially his inability to remember the title of the office to which he was elected, could be consistent with indications of one of three or four severe mental health concerns, to include ....."

But what's going to end up on the evening news and youtube and tomorrow's headline is 'Dr. Headshrinker insists Trump is Nutsy Fagin.'
And Nutsy's lawyers will gain the moral high ground by insisting the mental healther should not have diagnosed nutsy faginism from scattered news program appearances, staving off actual discussion of his actual condition for another round.

As usual...

To paraphrase US Grant, worry about what we’re going to do, not what the other side might do.

Of course Trump & co will exploit anything they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betcha lots of money the Supreme Court would not agree with your interpretation.
Based on what...? What do you see in the Amendment that makes it a matter for registered doctors?

It's not about the Amendment, it's about courts and how they work, especially hostile courts. They're going to insist on some manner of proof of mental compromise, not just the disgruntled opinions of people who otherwise admit to being political opponents of the President in question.

Betcha lots of money the Supreme Court would not agree with your interpretation.
Based on what...? What do you see in the Amendment that makes it a matter for registered doctors?

It's not about the Amendment, it's about courts and how they work, especially hostile courts. They're going to insist on some manner of proof of mental compromise, not just the disgruntled opinions of people who admit to being political opponents of the President.

What court?
Who would rule on the 25th?

It's not about the Amendment, it's about courts and how they work, especially hostile courts. They're going to insist on some manner of proof of mental compromise, not just the disgruntled opinions of people who admit to being political opponents of the President.

What court?

The Supreme Court would surely get involved if the bid was in any way successful. It's largely untried law, and the President likes to sure people.

This is all hypothetical anyway, considering Pence wouldn't try this in a million years. You think Trump's approval rating is bad, imagine Pence in the immediate aftermath of a coup.

What court?

The Supreme Court would surely get involved if the bid was in any way successful.

What gives them jurisdiction?

This is decided by the cabinet writing letters to Congress.
If the Prez challenges it, it's voted on in Congress.
If the SCOTUS becomes involved in any case, they interpret the Constitution.
Nothing in there says they need a medical expert. Doesn't even specify a medical condition. Just that they (the VP and cabinet) think he is incapable.

Trump suffering from memory loss would be worse than being a brazen liar - Mano Singham
noting
Trump Rails at Media for Not Forgetting He Offered Iran Talks
As he threatened to bomb Iran at Saudi Arabia’s behest, President Donald Trump also intensified his battle with objective reality on Sunday, by railing against what he called “The Fake News” media for “saying that I am willing to meet with Iran, ‘No Conditions.'”

Since there is video of Trump saying exactly that in June, and at a news conference last year, there are only two possible explanations here: The president is either suffering an alarming memory loss or flat-out lying.
MS:
I have been reluctant to fully accept that Trump may be suffering from some form of cognitive degeneration and is not just a lying, manipulative, narcissist. But it may be time to face that that is a real possibility.

Trump suffering from memory loss would be worse than being a brazen liar - Mano Singham
noting
Trump Rails at Media for Not Forgetting He Offered Iran Talks
As he threatened to bomb Iran at Saudi Arabia’s behest, President Donald Trump also intensified his battle with objective reality on Sunday, by railing against what he called “The Fake News” media for “saying that I am willing to meet with Iran, ‘No Conditions.'”

Since there is video of Trump saying exactly that in June, and at a news conference last year, there are only two possible explanations here: The president is either suffering an alarming memory loss or flat-out lying.
MS:
I have been reluctant to fully accept that Trump may be suffering from some form of cognitive degeneration and is not just a lying, manipulative, narcissist. But it may be time to face that that is a real possibility.

Both. As Mark Twain said, “If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.”

Back
Top Bottom