• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Profit sharing: A cure for income inequality?

Sorry, I'm laughing at a model with a whole bunch of equations and then say, "Just pay people more". If that person is confident about paying people more improves productivity enough, then he should start a business and beat all the competitors.

Sorry, I'm laughing at a model with a whole bunch of equations and then say, "Just pay people more". If that person is confident about paying people more improves productivity enough, then he should start a business and beat all the competitors.

Started a company 7 years ago (not my first rodeo)... we now have about a dozen people, and will sell over 3m this year. The wage spread from top to bottom is less than 3:1. There are no profits - we pay out when cash is flush. Seems to keep people happy and motivated to some degree. We're growing about 40%/yr and are almost entirely internally financed. I wonder sometimes - not that I want to make 400x as much as one of my production workers, but seriously - Our three owners have all the risk, all the liability exposure and have to maintain leadership roles as well as do a lot of the heavy lifting in sales, accounting and sometimes even production. Of course there is the prospect of an eventual large payout for the owners if we sell the company, but that scenario is entirely hypothetical. So ... What's a fair ratio?

And that's fine. It definitely will work in some companies, but saying one size fits all is wrong. Companies have been working on trying to establish compensation for performance, some are better than others at it.

Profit sharing produces quite variable income. That takes a lot more financial discipline than a lot of people have.

I believe that encouraging profit sharing in business would lead to less income inequality and a healthier economy.

Well then, feel free to be encouraging.

Employers, however, will generally not wish to pay a share of profits to someone that is more than a market wage - unless the person is quite directly incented by it.

Employers, however, will generally not wish to pay a share of profits to someone that is more than a market wage - unless the person is quite directly incented by it.
Define "market wage".

Well then, feel free to be encouraging.

Well of course. What's the point of establishing a new overclass if the income gap isn't as large as possible?

Well of course. What's the point of establishing a new overclass if the income gap isn't as large as possible?

Excpe that isn't the case. Most of the compensation for higher level executives come from stock which is the primary payment used to get CEOs to get paid according to what the company produces. Would you want your salary cut in half with the other half paid as possible future stock options?

- - - Updated - - -

But every business is different, and their pay discussion is based on a lot of factors including what they incentive is.

Within a business, if an employer is actually interested in fairness, "profit sharing" can work. It does depend on what the business is. Ipterich's question is a good one. What is a "market wage?" Doesn't it depend on just which market you decide to look at? There is a Bangladesh market wage. There is a NYC market wage. According to dismal, I guess the employer who controls all the options would lean toward the orient.

Last night I watched a half hour interview of Christine LeGarde (hope the spelling is right) of IMF by Charley Rose and it occurred to me about half way through the interview that is was just a "technical talk" about the attitudes of important people. She explained that if we just whip the workers a little harder, we might get more growth. Both the interviewer and the lady director assumed that growth of the economy was the prime directive without even considering anything but the markets in which they personally were active. There was no indication on either of their parts that the economy has such a profound effect on the environment and society or that the nature of the growth had to necessarily be beneficial to society. It was just a matter of doing something and causing more "economic activity" more "production" and more "growth."

Their entire discussion was totally devoid of any social or environmental concern. Would growth of the coal mining industry be a good thing? To LeGarde. I suppose so. She and Charley Rose both treated the economy as some sort of insular game and failed in any way to relate it to the common man or woman living on the ground. Discussion of profit sharing has the same quality. Profits from what? Private prisons, arms manufacture, sweat shops, corporate raids, privatization of the commons? These things all have the ability to grow and to yield profits.

What is lacking in any of these banker gurus' calculation is any form of morality excepting that they must always protect the investment class. If and when our society begins to understand better the environment in which it must exist, these banking gurus and oligarchs really will have nothing to offer in terms of improving the overall status of society in the natural environment. It was fascinating how sterile and detached their conversation was.

You are forgetting one thing, what consumers want. Its easy to say consumers will spend an extra $X for a differentiated product, but comes down to when the customers actually pay that extra $X. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

It's also interesting arkirk, the love hate relationship bankers have had over the millenium. One of the reasons why the ordinary Germans had no problems sending Jews to the death camps was because they saw the Jews as evil bankers. I guess luckily now we don't put them in concentration camps. Also the dark ages was a period of time where they did try and get rid of greed and I wouldn't say those are the best years in human history.

It's also interesting arkirk, the love hate relationship bankers have had over the millenium. One of the reasons why the ordinary Germans had no problems sending Jews to the death camps was because they saw the Jews as evil bankers. I guess luckily now we don't put them in concentration camps. Also the dark ages was a period of time where they did try and get rid of greed and I wouldn't say those are the best years in human history.

They are a lot more lucky than just not being in concentration camps. The problem is that we have real social and environmental problems regardless of what "consumers" want. In case you haven't noticed the billions that are spent shaping consumer wants with advertising, they just want things they are being sold. If they wanted something else, it would not be available. For instance about 2 billion people do not actually have access to safe drinking water. It isn't being advertised because the capitalist system can't find a way to make it a profitable business. Besides, the water is needed for fracking.

Regarding the Dark Ages. It depends who you are on this earth at this time if these are or are not the actual DARK AGES.

Interesting that you say water isn't sold when we do have bottled water that is sold. But water has always been considered a public utility so that leads to other trade offs and distortions.

Only a very small amount of people looking at how things are now compared to 1200 AD would say we are worse off.

Back
Top Bottom