• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Progressive segregation

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
A "POC House" for Berkeley students bans whites from common areas.

Off-campus UC Berkeley student housing bans white people from common areas

NY Post said:
“Many POC moved here to be able to avoid white violence and presence, so respect their decision of avoidance if you bring white guests,” the rules declare. “White guests are not allowed in common spaces.”
[...]
One mixed-race student, who claimed to have lived at the house, said that their “presence as a light skinned person was not received well” and that they were called slurs. I was not allowed to let my dad enter the house because he’s white,” the student wrote on Reddit.

That is segregation, pure and simple. I thought that was banned by the Civil Rights Law.

It's not operated by the University. It is private.
That doesn't make it any more moral.
It's still profoundly racist.

Based on the op, I don't know anything more about it.

If a group of Berkeley students formed a group excluding blacks, would you find that acceptable?
Tom

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Where is MLK when we need him? I'm sure he wouldn't approve of Black people being prejudiced bigots anymore than white people being prejudices bigots, I don't think that any of us should judge others based on their skin color. That goes both ways. Somebody needs to write a book called, "What's the matter with California"? ;)

In years past, there were a lot of housing developments that had clauses restricting black people, Jews, etc from buying or renting the houses. Just because the homes were privately owned doesn't make it OK.

NY Post said:
“Many POC moved here to be able to avoid white violence and presence, so respect their decision of avoidance if you bring white guests,” the rules declare. “White guests are not allowed in common spaces.”
[...]
One mixed-race student, who claimed to have lived at the house, said that their “presence as a light skinned person was not received well” and that they were called slurs. I was not allowed to let my dad enter the house because he’s white,” the student wrote on Reddit.

That is segregation, pure and simple. I thought that was banned by the Civil Rights Law.
They need to avoid white violence? WTF? Intra-race violence is far more common, in general, than white-on-POC violence. Statistically, the POCs are safer in white communities than they are in their own.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Where is MLK when we need him? I'm sure he wouldn't approve of Black people being prejudiced bigots anymore than white people being prejudices bigots, I don't think that any of us should judge others based on their skin color. That goes both ways. Somebody needs to write a book called, "What's the matter with California"? ;)
Such a book would be a hefty tome.

NY Post said:
[...]

They need to avoid white violence? WTF? Intra-race violence is far more common, in general, than white-on-POC violence. Statistically, the POCs are safer in white communities than they are in their own.
Shh. Don't bring such facts into these discussions.

They're stupid idealistic college kids. Most grow out of that stupidity after college.

In years past, there were a lot of housing developments that had clauses restricting black people, Jews, etc from buying or renting the houses. Just because the homes were privately owned doesn't make it OK.
I never said it was okay. I just stated a fact.

NY Post said:
[...]
This story surfaced in August, 2022 and went viral on the conservative internet circuit

According to this report (White people restricted)
The Berkely Student Cooperative's "Person of Color Theme House (Castro)" is said "to provide housing to low-income, first generation, immigrant and marginalized students of color," the program's website states. "Person of Color Theme House exists to create a safe and welcoming space for its house members and build solidarity with communities of color in the Berkeley area and beyond," it continues.

Stephen Ross, cooperative experience manager for the Berkeley Student Cooperative, told The College Fix that "neither the BSC nor the POC house has an official policy" excluding white guests from common spaces.

"White people can and do live in POC house, but the focus for POC house is providing a safe and supportive living environment for people of color," he told The Fix.

However, Ross noted each house, of which there are roughly 20, has its "own culture and practices” that can change over time.

"While the members who choose to live in POC house cannot avoid every racist experience, living in POC house gives the members who live there a safe space to process their experiences and feel supported in their living environment," Ross told The Fix.
I have been unable to find any updates on this situation.

Back
Top Bottom