• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Project Veritas Scammers Face $5 Million Dollar Fines

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
https://www.rawstory.com/jacob-wohl-and-jack-burkman-2654773400/

On Tuesday, Cristiano Lima of The Washington Post reported that the Federal Communications Commission is proposing a $5 million dollar fine against pro-Trump serial scammers Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman for a series of illegal robocalls trying to suppress voter turnout.
In October 2020, the state of Michigan announced felony charges against Wohl and Burkman for the robocall scheme. An Ohio grand jury also indicted them in connection with the same plot.

This so very entertaining. I hope their lawyers thought to get paid upfront.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...s-sues-jacob-wohl-jack-burkman-over-robocalls

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Thursday that her office filed a lawsuit against conservative operatives Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman for their alleged participation in orchestrating robocalls that targeted Black communities, urging voters not to cast mail-in ballots.An investigation conducted by James's office reportedly found that Wohl and Burkman, through their fictitious organization “Project 1599,” violated state and federal laws when sending out robocalls that threatened and harassed Black communities using disinformation.
James said she is joining an existing lawsuit against Wohl and Burkman, in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, on behalf of voters and the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation.

I'm seeking to intervene in a lawsuit against Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman for their attempts to intimidate Black communities from voting by mail in the 2020 elections.

So many lawsuits, so little time.

In yet another lawsuit in New York, fines of $500 per robocall are being pursued. And there were some felony charges filed in Ohio and Detroit. I have been unable to find the status of these felony charges as of today. The owners of the robocall company used by these goombahs is also being sued.

And then we have the issue of where the money came from to keep these idiots pulling their stunts.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/project-veritas-new-york-headquarters-destroyed-in-ida-floods

Hurricane Ida’s Northeast floods and tornadoes showed the visual reality of climate change, including at the headquarters of the “truth-seeking” organization Project Veritas. Photos from the group’s Mamaroneck, New York, base show tables flipped over, chairs stacked on top of one another, and multiple copies of leader James O’Keefe’s 2018 book American Pravda: My Fight for Truth in the Era of Fake News scattered on the floor. Its mascot, an alpaca named “Retracto,” was soaked.

This made my day. I laughed out loud at this one.

Didn't think this was worth starting a new thread over it and since this is about right-wing internet trolls...

The Extreme Right’s Favorite Web Provider Just Got Hacked
The 180 gigabyte trove of data could shine light on some of the internet’s most odious corners.

Epik, the domain registrar known for hosting far-right websites and social media services, was recently hacked, according to a release from someone claiming to be associated with the online collective known as Anonymous.

As first reported Monday by journalist Steven Monacelli, the hacker claims that “a decade’s worth of data from the company” has been obtained, including all domain purchases, domain transfers, and unredacted website registration data that could shed light on individuals and groups behind extremist or hate sites.

“This dataset is all that’s needed to trace actual ownership and management of the fascist side of the Internet that has eluded researchers, activists, and, well, just about everybody,” the hacker boasted in announcing the attack.

That’s pretty exciting!

https://boingboing.net/2021/09/20/project-veritas-scammed-out-of-165000-by-a-phishing-email.html

Project Veritas, the conservative media group known for staging "sting operations" with hidden cameras where they trick people into saying things out of context that "confirm" right-wing conspiracy theories, announced last week that they got duped by what was essentially a sting operation. Shortly after the company's offices were flooded by Hurricane Ida, the company received an email that appeared to be from their attorneys following up on an invoice — but it turned out to be a phishing scam.

We received an invoice for $165,000 from a few of our attorneys and we intended to pay that invoice so we set up wire transfers for payment. Within an hour the lawyers reached out to us asking us to pay the invoice via a new account they had set up. […]

[The scammers] actually impersonated the actual name of our lawyer, changing a few letters in the email address, replying in real-time to an email chain with our actual attorneys. It appears the fraudsters were watching, waiting for an invoice to be sent to us and then pounced, impersonating them, replying to a real email as the lawyer's name the moment the invoice came.

These idiots are so very entertaining.

https://boingboing.net/2021/09/20/project-veritas-scammed-out-of-165000-by-a-phishing-email.html

Project Veritas, the conservative media group known for staging "sting operations" with hidden cameras where they trick people into saying things out of context that "confirm" right-wing conspiracy theories, announced last week that they got duped by what was essentially a sting operation. Shortly after the company's offices were flooded by Hurricane Ida, the company received an email that appeared to be from their attorneys following up on an invoice — but it turned out to be a phishing scam.

We received an invoice for $165,000 from a few of our attorneys and we intended to pay that invoice so we set up wire transfers for payment. Within an hour the lawyers reached out to us asking us to pay the invoice via a new account they had set up. […]

[The scammers] actually impersonated the actual name of our lawyer, changing a few letters in the email address, replying in real-time to an email chain with our actual attorneys. It appears the fraudsters were watching, waiting for an invoice to be sent to us and then pounced, impersonating them, replying to a real email as the lawyer's name the moment the invoice came.

These idiots are so very entertaining.

That's fucking epic.

Apparently, such man-in-the-middle attacks are common enough in the world of business. which would point to the fact that when handling large sums of money, to keep all communications well encrypted end to end. Using PGP etc. Use VPNs.

Apparently, such man-in-the-middle attacks are common enough in the world of business. which would point to the fact that when handling large sums of money, to keep all communications well encrypted end to end. Using PGP etc. Use VPNs.

Fuckin noobs... Actual criminals are smarter than these chucklefucks.

From Raw News

Right-wing conspiracy theorists Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman were ordered by a judge on Tuesday to spend 500 hours registering voters in low-income neighborhoods in Washington, D.C., after pleading guilty to telecommunications fraud.

Wohl and Burkman were behind the hoax robocalls seeking to intimidate Black voters out of casting mail-in ballots in the 2020 presidential elections.

This makes me laugh. 500 hours is 12.5 weeks full time, 40 hours a week.

Should have got that, AND the $5 million fine. Put them fuckers out of business and in the poor house.

From Raw Story

Both men were sentenced to two years of probation and ordered to wear GPS ankle monitors with home confinement for six months beginning at 8 pm every night. Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court Judge John Sutula also placed a $2,500 fine on each of them, comparing their actions to the widespread Black voter suppression in the 1960s.

"I think it's a despicable thing that you guys have done," Sutula said during the Zoom hearing. County Prosecutor Michael O'Malley added in a statement that the men "attempted to disrupt the foundation of our democracy."

Puts a bit of a cramp on their bad lifestyles.

James O'Keefe officially resigns from Project Veritas. After being fired. "You can't fire me. I quit!" Few of his ex-underlings are sad to see him go, but Charlie Kirk is so very sad to see him go.

I thought O'Keefe was Veritass. Does that mean it still exists?!

Yes. But PV has lost some lawsuits, so I don't know where they go from here. I have no idea who is running the show now. No telling where James O'Keefe goes from here. He seems at this point not particularly employable.

I thought O'Keefe was Veritass. Does that mean it still exists?!

Yes. But PV has lost some lawsuits, so I don't know where they go from here. I have no idea who is running the show now. No telling where James O'Keefe goes from here. He seems at this point not particularly employable.
Putin is always looking for something to fill a uniform. Possibilities.

Gaetz, Greene, plenty of fascists in the GOP ready to hire that asshole.

Back
Top Bottom