• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

PSA: Better quoting method - avoid many nested quotes

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Do you wish you could quote just a small part of a post? Or just a couple?

Two methods are at your disposal. Directions written for phone or tablet, but easily adapted to desktop with mouse.

1. For one quote - press and hold to select some text, stretch if you want to capture more (or use your mouse). A small dialogue box pops up just under your selected text. Choose “reply” and a new post will open up with just your selected text quoted, and not the entire post.

2. For multiple quotes - do the same press and hold to select text, but this time choose “ +quote,” then do the same thing to the next bit you want. The quotes will stack up in a “clipboard” type area. Now open a new post on the thread and see the button below that says, “insert quotes.” Click that and see the quotes you collected. Click “quote message” and they will all land in your reply. You can select and capture more quotes during your editing, if you like, to add more.

No more 15-deep nested quotes because it’s too hard to undo them!
Just highlight what you want to quote and hit reply. Like this:

View attachment 36413

Last edited:
I read your post with no small amount of amusement.

First, I was glad you boosted the message.
Then I laughed at you saying “great idea” followed by complaining that the person whose idea it was had nothing to say worth quoting.
Then I shook my head and laughed some more at you saying that about the guy who makes possible the site on which you write that.

Good times. Good times.

I notice I have to press the small pop-up “reply” button twice. Odd, but seems to be needed.

making it easier to quote-mine.

It does, and yet it does a much better job of appying the tag-link-to-original than before, so I think that is a benefit to maintaining fidelity of original.

I shall endeavor to learn to use this function! With a caveat that my computer is ancient and my mouse is not working well so the struggle is real.

I really appreciate the ability to delete posts!

Then I laughed at you saying “great idea” followed by complaining that the person whose idea it was had nothing to say worth quoting.
Then I shook my head and laughed some more at you saying that about the guy who makes possible the site on which you write that.

Good times. Good times.
I was happy to discover that IIDB now had that function. I didn't understand why it didn't.
Similar to the slider thingy on the side.
Tom

Good times. Good times.
Also, the claim that that person is not worth quoting is belied by 199 posts made by the claimant quoting the person and that's excluding posts in the archive.

unintended consequence of making it easier to quote-mine.

You are right, but this function also makes it easy to call someone out if you perceive them to be quoting in bad faith. There is always that little arrow to direct you to a post if someone is taking something out of context. For example, I mined your quote, but it is pretty easy to backtrack and see if I am full of shit or not.

unintended consequence of making it easier to quote-mine.

You are right, but this function also makes it easy to call someone out if you perceive them to be quoting in bad faith. There is always that little arrow to direct you to a post if someone is taking something out of context. For example, I mined your quote, but it is pretty easy to backtrack and see if I am full of shit or not.
It's that little arrow part that I like.
I made do with cut and paste, but preferred having a way for a reader to easily find the entire post and the context.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom