• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Public schools aren't teaching Critical Race Theory.

Who is the arbiter of this "good faith reason"?
Who do you think is the arbiter? Everybody. Each person decides for him or herself whether others are acting in good faith. Judging one another is what we do. Welcome to the monkey lineage.

From what I can tell, I could say you have no good faith reason for your objections.
And if you choose to say that, you won't have a good faith reason to.

People whose parents didn't throw rocks at Ruby Bridges are upset their children are being taught by people who think like a racist twitter imbecile who claims their parents threw rocks at Ruby Bridges because their parents are the same color as some third party who threw rocks at Ruby Bridges.
Color isn't the issue. If you feel "guilty" (and defensively angry) whenever you hear about this country's oppression of Blacks, it's not just because you sunburn easily.
^This is the tip of the iceberg. I have already told Bomb#20 he was gaslighting fellow members and I referred to specific, concrete, documented evidence. I linked the spreadsheet directly from Moms for Liberty, the so-called grassroots parents organization that is alleged to spearhead the effort, but that is actually being misinformed by conservative "think tanks" sending them propaganda.

Let's review...

The Moms for Liberty complaint about the Ruby Bridges book reads, "Racist remarks. N-word." That isn't CRT but instead history. They are trying to invoke the new draconian laws exactly how they were meant to, by appealing to inclusion of a concept of racism, not the classroom endorsement of it. That is exactly the distinction I pointed out to Trausti, Metaphor and Bomb#20.

Here are even more details:
One of the books she specifically referred to was "Ruby Bridges Goes to School," written by Ruby Bridges herself. Bridges, when she was age 6, was one of the first African American students to integrate New Orleans' all-white public school system.
Steenman said that the mention of a "large crowd of angry white people who didn't want Black children in a white school" too harshly delineated between Black and white people, and that the book didn't offer "redemption" at its end.

They are quote-mining a phrase from an historical account of racism and demanding that those facts are nicer to White people's feelings. That isn't CRT either, but the claim that it makes all white people the bad guys (it doesn't), makes the new draconian law relevant.

Next part of the complaint reads, it "causes shame for young, impressionable white children." Again, this is something I warned about in the new legislation...the subjectivity of trying to legislate against facts allegedly making white children feel bad. It's also not CRT, but history.

Bomb#20 is clearly gaslighting again. When someone criticizes supporters of the law because their grandparents were throwing rocks at Ruby, it's not literal. It means their recent ancestors participated in racism. Yes, by and large that is a huge factor here.

Lastly, these groups are trying to "tone it down" by saying kids aren't ready for these things. They are too fragile, but the new draconian laws apply to college as well and were purported to be about CRT, not history.

Politesse said:
Color isn't the issue. If you feel "guilty" (and defensively angry) whenever you hear about this country's oppression of Blacks, it's not just because you sunburn easily.

Defensively angry is a common response for people who are not and do not feel guilty, but are being unjustly accused.

Politesse said:

Defensively angry is a common response for people who are not and do not feel guilty, but are being unjustly accused.
Talking about the segregation issue isn't "accusing" anyone. I'm white, but I don't feel the need to "protect" children from knowing about a past that happened as it happened and still affects the present.

Politesse said:

Defensive anger is also a common feeling amongst people who are guilty and feel guilty, but prefer not to think about that(or why). Feeling angry at the people pointing out the truth to defend their self image.

Tom

Politesse said:

And you speak from the point of view of having ever stepped in a US school?

Politesse said:

Defensive anger is also a common feeling amongst people who are guilty and feel guilty, but prefer not to think about that(or why). Feeling angry at the people pointing out the truth to defend their self image.

Tom
Sure, it's a common feeling among those as well.

Politesse said:

No, I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who reads gazillions of accusations (veiled or open) of anti-Black racism against plenty of people, with no justification and regardless of whether the targets happen to be guilty.

Politesse said:

No, I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who reads gazillions of accusations (veiled or open) of anti-Black racism against plenty of people, with no justification and regardless of whether the targets happen to be guilty.

So you have no bloody clue how this stuff is taught in schools.

Politesse said:

LOL
Politesse said:

Oh no, anyone who has read "gazillions" of anything has to know what they are talking about!!!

Politesse said:

Whether I do or not is irrelevant to the content of the post of mine to which you replied.

Politesse said:

Whether I do or not is irrelevant to the content of the post of mine to which you replied.
Not if you actually think about it.

My bad. I thought you were discussing the topic of the thread, not some hypothetical that wasn't about public schools and CRT.
Every time I show content from certain members of the forum, I am reminded why I usually keep that content behind a wall.

People whose parents didn't throw rocks at Ruby Bridges are upset their children are being taught by people who think like a racist twitter imbecile who claims their parents threw rocks at Ruby Bridges because their parents are the same color as some third party who threw rocks at Ruby Bridges.
^This is the tip of the iceberg. I have already told Bomb#20 he was gaslighting fellow members
You told me that because you don't give a damn whether the claims you make about your political opponents are true as long as you think you're scoring a rhetorical point.

and I referred to specific, concrete, documented evidence. I linked the spreadsheet directly from Moms for Liberty, the so-called grassroots parents organization that is alleged to spearhead the effort, but that is actually being misinformed by conservative "think tanks" sending them propaganda.

Let's review...

The Moms for Liberty complaint about the Ruby Bridges book reads, <snip>
By all means, yes, let's review. Here's what you wrote that you're alleging supports your trumped-up accusation against me:

This is not a post to Bomb#20, just because it follows his post. It's to everyone else. ... The reader may note that the state is Tennessee, not Oklahoma, even though Bomb#20 is talking about Oklahoma.​

How do you figure a wall of text you wrote complaining about a bunch of twits I didn't endorse trying to do something in a state I wasn't talking about is evidence that I'm gaslighting anyone? What the hell is wrong with you? Go look in a bloody mirror.

Next part of the complaint reads, it "causes shame for young, impressionable white children." Again, this is something I warned about in the new legislation...the subjectivity of trying to legislate against facts allegedly making white children feel bad. It's also not CRT, but history.
Did the Oklahoma law "legislate against facts"? By all means, please point out what fact it has stopped someone from teaching.

If you can't point out any such fact and are merely concerned that it's vague enough it might do so in the future, why are you laying that at my door? Nobody here's claiming that law wasn't badly written; I already told you I could have done a better job myself even though I'm not even a lawyer; my defense of the Oklahoma law was limited to refuting the specific charge that it infringed free speech rights, which it doesn't.

If the Tennessee law stopped somebody from teaching a fact, why are you laying that at my door? By all means, please point out where I defended the Tennessee law. Not having read it, I have no opinion about the Tennessee law.

If some gang of religious nitwits are trying to use the new laws to weaponize the public schools to promote their religion, well, the state shouldn't go along with that -- just as the state shouldn't have been going along with another gang of religious nitwits who have been using the old laws to weaponize the public schools to promote your religion. A plague on both your houses.

Bomb#20 is clearly gaslighting again. When someone criticizes supporters of the law because their grandparents were throwing rocks at Ruby, it's not literal. It means their recent ancestors participated in racism.
You're making a painfully specious argument. Chris Evans' evidence that their recent ancestors participated in racism is exactly the same as his evidence that their grandparents were throwing rocks at Ruby: it's the fact that their recent ancestors were white. So literal or metaphorical is an irrelevant red herring: either way what he wrote is indefensible and the guy is a racist imbecile. It is perfectly sensible for parents not to want their children taught by teachers who think like Mr. Evans and not to want their children taught a curriculum taken from people who think like Mr. Evans.

And if this thread is any indication, people who like the way the left teaches children about race and who think the parents objecting to the curricula getting lumped as "CRT" don't have a legitimate beef tend to be the same sort of people who approve of Mr. Evans' tweet.

Lastly, these groups are trying to "tone it down" by saying kids aren't ready for these things. They are too fragile, but the new draconian laws apply to college as well and were purported to be about CRT, not history.
Which new draconian laws would those be? The Oklahoma law doesn't restrict what a college can teach, full stop.

CRT isn't about people or their sensitivities. it's about how a legal system promotes separate outcomes for those who wrote the laws, English speaking Europeans and those most severely discriminated against by those executing to those laws. It's about white middle aged elite males using Northern European law as a cudgel against Africans, Asians, Oleananes, and most South and Central Americans, in summary, those not of the white male 'race'.

To Wit:
Definitions In his introduction to the comprehensive 1995 publication of critical race theory's key writings, Cornel West describes CRT as "an intellectual movement that is both particular to our postmodern (and conservative) times and part of a long tradition of human resistance and liberation."

Law professor Roy L. Brooks defines critical race theory in 1994 as "a collection of critical stances against the existing legal order from a race-based point of view".[22] Education Week describes the core of CRT as the idea that race is a social construct and racism is neither an individual bias nor prejudice—it is "embedded in the legal system" and supplemented with policies and procedures.[23]

University of Alabama School of Law professor Richard Delgado, a co-founder of critical race theory, and legal writer Jean Stefancic define CRT as "a collection of activists and scholars interested in studying and transforming the relationship among race, racism, and power".[24][25]

Gloria Ladson-Billings, a pedagogical theorist who introduced CRT to the field of education in 1994,[26] describes CRT as an "interdisciplinary approach that seeks to understand and combat race inequity in society."[16]

The racist, "Greatest country in the world", crowd chants against CRT personalize it as a smear against the Superman cape trope "Truth, Justice, and the American Way". So it comes out as the misstatement White suburban "parents have a say in what is taught in (public) schools" racist red meat.

Last edited:
CRT isn't about people or their sensitivities. it's about how a legal system promotes separate outcomes for those who wrote the laws, English speaking Europeans and those most severely discriminated against by those executing to those laws. It's about white middle aged elite males using Northern European law as a cudgel against Africans, Asians, Oleananes, and most South and Central Americans, in summary, those not of the white male 'race'.

Restating it's purpose doesn't prove the purpose lines up with reality.

Restating it's purpose doesn't prove the purpose lines up with reality.
Are you claiming that:
1) laws weren't created to fuck over minorities
2) laws were created to fuck over minorities, but have all been repealed

Back
Top Bottom