• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Public schools aren't teaching Critical Race Theory.

Published in 1949, in the wilderness period when the horrors of World War II gave way to the horrors of the Cold War, "Nineteen Eighty-Four" proved to be an enormously influential book. So much so that to this day tortured efforts are made to identify “Orwellian” patterns in contemporary governance. Often, it’s a stretch.

But not in the Wisconsin Legislature, where last week the Republican-controlled Assembly literally voted to ban words — and the ideas associated with them — from being taught in the states public schools.

The targeted words were not obscene. Rather, they were terms used to describe and challenge an obscenity: systemic racism.
With the full approval of Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, the chamber voted 60-38 to prevent schools from teaching concepts associated with critical race theory, the academic project that seeks to identify ways in which a history of slavery, segregation and the ongoing bias against people of color influences contemporary laws and practices.
Critical race theory is primarily taught and researched at the graduate level on college campuses. It’s not a part of the curriculums in Wisconsin’s elementary and secondary schools. So why are Republicans like Vos and Rep. Chuck Wichgers, R-Muskego, so concerned?

Republican regions are not falling to pieces. They have lower cost of living and lower taxes.
And it's hard to find good-paying jobs in them. Public services are awful; the streets aren't exactly paved with gold.
The United States also has a majority of its states vote Republican. Democrats don't have very many states overall. In recent election cycles Republicans usually have between 30-35 states and Democrats usually have between 15-20 states.
That's because of demographics. Democrats tend to be concentrated in high-density areas and Republicans in low-density areas.
It is a very good thing that the founding fathers founded the electoral college because they didn't want small states to get outvoted by majority rule. It wouldn't be fair if Democrats won every election just because Democrat states tend to be more populated. The founding fathers knew this and everyone fighting against the electoral college needs a good history lesson, or they just don't care.
It's people that count, not arbitrary political boundaries.

The Founders weren't unified on very much, and they show it by what they put into the Constitution. They didn't see eye-to-eye on slavery, for instance, and that led to the 3/5 compromise of counting "other persons". Yes, that's the wording that they used. They also didn't see eye to eye on how the legislature was to be composed. Small-state delegations preferred by-state representation, the "New Jersey plan", while large-state delegations preferred by-population representation, the "Virginia plan". What they adopted was a compromise, the "Connecticut compromise".

The Electoral College was an afterthought, from being unable to decide how to elect the President. Congress? The states' governors? Southern delegations didn't like a popular-vote election because they didn't have many qualified citizens. The North was much better. They were also concerned about lots of regional favorites being candidates. So they decided on the Electoral College.

Some EC defenders portray it as some committee of political experts and wise people, but it isn't. It soon turned into what it has been for most of its history, a half-assed system of aggregated and weighted popular votes.

I must note that one thing that they seemed to agree on is dislike for political parties. The Constitution ignores them, and some Founders wernt on record as deploring them. But once the US Gov't went into action, the politicians started dividing up into parties. So much for that bit of idealism.
You have been fed propaganda about the 3/5 compromise. Whatever the slave population of a state was, they counted 3/5 of that number. It did not mean that they saw slaves as 3/5 of a person. South said slaves shouldn't be counted as population numbers because they are property. North wanted to count the slaves as population numbers so they compromised on 3/5.
*spit take*

He should have paid more attention in history class.
South said slaves shouldn't be counted as population numbers because they are property.
No, that isn't what the South wanted. The South wanted the slaves counted as citizens to increase their representation in the House and Electoral College!
North wanted to count the slaves as population numbers so they compromised on 3/5.
The North thought that was bullshit because slaves weren't free people. The North generally wanted to end slavery, but there was no viable way to do it and both the North and South desperately needed each other to make the United States thing viable.

So the North and South agreed to discount the slave population for census at 3/5 the slave population, so the South didn't get as much counted towards their population.

I mean seriously!

Complaints about special education violations. Praise for teachers. Concerns about academic rigor and options.

These are some of the main themes in a sampling of the emails sent to a so-called tip line set up by Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin earlier this year for parents to report, as he put it, “any instances where they feel that their fundamental rights are being violated” and schools are engaging in “inherently divisive practices.” The email tip line was part of a larger campaign by the governor to root out the teaching of critical race theory. But few of the tips flag the types of practices Youngkin was describing.
Despite the hundreds of records in the selection of emails, they comprise a small, vocal group of people at about three dozen email addresses who often reiterated their grievances in multiple missives.

Based on USA TODAY’s analysis of the sample, which may not be representative of what the governor has received, much of the activity may not have been what he was looking for. CRT, the graduate school-level framework that examines how racism continues to shape society, came up rarely.
A spokeswoman for the governor confirmed on Thursday that the tip line was deactivated in September, having "received little to no volume."

Don't tell me this was largely faux outrage to get votes.

If a public school teacher says to his/her class: "America is a racist country!" -- is that CRT?
No.

It's just a fact of life.

2021 America isn't as racist as 1921 America. 1921 America wasn't as racist as 1821 America. 1821 America wasn't as racist as 1721 America.

But yeah, the USA is racist still. Getting better, huge improvement in the last couple of decades. But America is a racist nation. Saying so is simply stating a fact.
Tom
A lot of people who agree that the United States is racist also say that they want immigrants to come here. Why would you want immigrants to come to a racist country that will keep them down?

I find it fascinating that one side of the political aisle (the right) is against immigrants while claiming the United States is not racist and the other side of the political aisle (the left) are pro immigrants coming here while claiming the United States is a racist country.

What would you say about this?
That Republicans are lying scumbags who know full well they don't want more non-Whites in the country and simply aren't comfortable saying so out loud, and that the Left envisions the possibility of a better America.

Neither of these have anything to do with classroom pedagogy or CRT.
If this was truly a racist country, then black people wouldn't be able to become millionaires here. Indians wouldn't be able to open businesses here and make millions as well. Chinese people wouldn't be able to open Chinese restaurants. I don't see Republicans fighting against these things. it turns out that people of all backgrounds come here and make a lot of money. There are a ton of poor white people in this country who don't have anywhere close to the amount of money LeBron James or Michael Jordan has.

I don't see these things as a right/left thing but just a matter of facts. Everything I stated above should not be able to happen if this country was racist. Everywhere I go I see people of all races succeeding in America. If you can explain to me how this is still a racist country, then I will change my opinion.

I agree with all that. Only thing you're missing is that not everyone goes through life without experiencing racism. You pointing out that folks of all races are able to find success in America as proof racism doesn't exist is like saying not everyone has ever been robbed so robbery doesn't exist.

Edit: I know I'm replying to an old post but it's not an old idea (people still think that today).

Complaints about special education violations. Praise for teachers. Concerns about academic rigor and options.

These are some of the main themes in a sampling of the emails sent to a so-called tip line set up by Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin earlier this year for parents to report, as he put it, “any instances where they feel that their fundamental rights are being violated” and schools are engaging in “inherently divisive practices.” The email tip line was part of a larger campaign by the governor to root out the teaching of critical race theory. But few of the tips flag the types of practices Youngkin was describing.
Despite the hundreds of records in the selection of emails, they comprise a small, vocal group of people at about three dozen email addresses who often reiterated their grievances in multiple missives.

Based on USA TODAY’s analysis of the sample, which may not be representative of what the governor has received, much of the activity may not have been what he was looking for. CRT, the graduate school-level framework that examines how racism continues to shape society, came up rarely.
A spokeswoman for the governor confirmed on Thursday that the tip line was deactivated in September, having "received little to no volume."
Don't tell me this was largely faux outrage to get votes.
Not much happening in Virginia other than US House votes. The timing is a bit suspicious, but if they pulled a maneuver like that, makes one wonder how the Internal polls are.

What timing do you mean?

Heard about that... who knew there might be consequences to being completely and obstreporously out of step with your state's educational policy? But one can't find too much schadenfreude at the chiding of a school board, when it comes at the cost of student wellbeing.

School board bans CRT, so a state university is no longer sending student teachers to that district
How odd. I thought CRT wasn't being taught in schools anyway. So what is the university worried about?
Probably don't want their students exposed to the bigotry of that district's management.
I see. I suppose indoctrination is more difficult when people are exposed to alternative viewpoints.

Banning CRT is "bigotry" now? But it wasn't being taught in the first place.

School board bans CRT, so a state university is no longer sending student teachers to that district
How odd. I thought CRT wasn't being taught in schools anyway. So what is the university worried about?
Probably don't want their students exposed to the bigotry of that district's management.
I see. I suppose indoctrination is more difficult when people are exposed to alternative viewpoints.

Correct. It's not being taught. The factual history of how black, indigenous, and other minority people were treated was being taught and that teaching was smeared as being CRT. Can't have the snowflake children exposed to that.

Correct. It's not being taught. The factual history of how black, indigenous, and other minority people were treated was being taught and that teaching was smeared as being CRT. Can't have the snowflake children exposed to that.
So, you believe that the school board banning CRT banned the teaching of history? Based on what?

So, you believe that the school board banning CRT banned the teaching of history? Based on what?
Haven't read the threads on this subject, have you.

This is about a specific school and a specific school board. The claim is they banned CRT. You are claiming they banned the teaching of minority history.

What is your evidence?

Whether it is being taught or not has nothing to do with whether banning it is bigotry,

Whether it is being taught or not has nothing to do with whether banning it is bigotry,
How is banning it 'bigotry'?

This is about a specific school and a specific school board. The claim is they banned CRT. You are claiming they banned the teaching of minority history.

What is your evidence?
Sorry. Not going to waste electrons covering a subject that has already been well covered to satisfy your obtusity.

Back
Top Bottom