• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pun Opportunity #234: Name the Bear

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
So, I got a get-well card from my sister while i was in the hospital. It came with mylar balloons and a teddy bear.

I named the bear Asterix, after the comic books of Asterix the Gaul.

Asterixcover-asterix_the_gaul.jpg

I gave him that name because I got the bear when they cut out my gall bladder.

I just tonight realized that i could have named him Charles, because i got the bear when i was de-galled.

De_Gaulle-OWI.jpg

Figure if i can come up with two puns while on narcotics, the people here should be up to a dozen more....?

You could name him Les because now you have Les Gaul.

220px-Les_Paul%2C_ca._Jan._1947_%28William_P._Gottlieb_07001%29.jpg

Figure if i can come up with two puns while on narcotics, the people here should be up to a dozen more....?
You want a dozen? You'll have to lower your standards. In that spirit...

Jonathan Livingston Seagall

Rosalind Russell -- she's your Gall Friday

Romana -- she's your companion from Gallfree

So, I got a get-well card from my sister while i was in the hospital. It came with mylar balloons and a teddy bear.

I named the bear Asterix, after the comic books of Asterix the Gaul.

View attachment 7997

I gave him that name because I got the bear when they cut out my gall bladder.

I just tonight realized that i could have named him Charles, because i got the bear when i was de-galled.

View attachment 7996

IDK, your's might be the best there are, especially Charles.

BTW, there is some experimental evidence thatyour under-the-influence state may have actually helped you come up with those puns.

Good puns are a form of creativity where it helps to make distal, not so obvious connections between things. Research on a similar type of linguistic creativity task showed improved performance when people where at .08 BAC compared to sober but placebo drinking controls. Note the drunkies did worse on other cognitive tests required controlled focused attention. The assumed mechanism is that the alcohol diffuses attention from its normally more focused state, allowing ideas that are distal and thus only weakly activated by the current context to enter awareness and thus the person sees subtle connections they might otherwise miss.
The formal research confirms informal anecdotes about artists using drugs to awaken the muse.

The creativity task the study used was the "Remote Associates Test" where you get three words not clearly related to each other and you have to come up with a 4th word that forms a common and meaningful phrase with each of the initial 3 words.

Example:
Blue
Knife
Big

What is a 4th word that pairs with each of these?

("Cheese" is a good answer).

The creativity task the study used was the "Remote Associates Test" where you get three words not clearly related to each other and you have to come up with a 4th word that forms a common and meaningful phrase with each of the initial 3 words.

Example:
Blue
Knife
Big

I though the answer was "ox murderer". :)

Example:
Blue
Knife
Big

I though the answer was "ox murderer". :)
I thought of butchering Babe The Big Blue Ox... Didn't realize it was three different things.

Good puns are a form of creativity where it helps to make distal, not so obvious connections between things. Research on a similar type of linguistic creativity task showed improved performance when people where at .08 BAC compared to sober but placebo drinking controls. Note the drunkies did worse on other cognitive tests required controlled focused attention. The assumed mechanism is that the alcohol diffuses attention from its normally more focused state, allowing ideas that are distal and thus only weakly activated by the current context to enter awareness and thus the person sees subtle connections they might otherwise miss.
The formal research confirms informal anecdotes about artists using drugs to awaken the muse.

Interesting. I've been punning and writing and joking for 50+ years, though, with less intoxicants than a Mormon missionary... Makes me wonder what i'd have been capable of with some chemical additives... I mean, besides the usual claim of 'I guess this stuff doesn't affect me...'

Once I saw this I immediately thought of Dr. Paul Bearer (or in the spirit of this thread, Gall Bearer). Anyhow, he was the host of cheesy Sat PM horror movies (Creature Feature) in the Tampa area back in the 70's thru the early 90s. For those of you in Florida that got channel 44, that is a blast from the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creature_Feature_(WTOG)
and
http://www.drpaulbearer.com/

For those outside the Tampa area, this will not mean much.

Once I saw this I immediately thought of Dr. Paul Bearer (or in the spirit of this thread, Gall Bearer). Anyhow, he was the host of cheesy Sat PM horror movies (Creature Feature) in the Tampa area back in the 70's thru the early 90s. For those of you in Florida that got channel 44, that is a blast from the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creature_Feature_(WTOG)
and
http://www.drpaulbearer.com/

For those outside the Tampa area, this will not mean much.

For us, we had The Ghoul.

Back
Top Bottom