• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Putin and Trump's firehose of lies propaganda technique

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism

Sources cited in video description.

Both use the same technique.

Prior propaganda techniques at least tried to maintain credibility as part of the effort to deceive, but Putin and Trump simply lie brazenly and don't care at all about credibility. They will even reverse positions without warning and pretend the new lie is what they always said.

This is not about convincing people of the truth, but about convincing people they are powerful enough that they no longer have to care about the truth, while exhausting the fact-checkers to the point where every claim seems equally credible no matter how supported or unsupported it is.

It's a new approach to propaganda and so far it works until we figure out a way to counter it. I think we need to stop trying to fact check them. Clearly they and their supporters don't care about the truth and never did. I think we have to start treating them and their supporters and their claims with nothing but contempt.

I remember fact checking during presidential elections. They counted that Trump lied 70% of time, which was expected. But the more interesting was Clinton's data - according to them she lied 30% of time. So this video in a sense a lie as well, because it paints false picture as if there are politicians which have significantly better track record.

I remember fact checking during presidential elections. They counted that Trump lied 70% of time, which was expected. But the more interesting was Clinton's data - according to them she lied 30% of time. So this video in a sense a lie as well, because it paints false picture as if there are politicians which have significantly better track record.
So 30% isn't much better than 70%?

I've got a deal for you.....

No, not significantly better.

No, not significantly better.
You must have been a great student....

Thanks for demonstrating that rightists have zero regard for facts. You even cite the data that refutes your own point, and brazenly lie anyway, because the truth simply doesn't matter to you. By lying, you are demonstrating power. You are so powerful that you have no need to give a fuck about the truth even as you provide the proof that refutes your own lies in the same fucking paragraph.

We really need to just stop engaging with people like you and dismiss you with derision. Constantly trying to fact check you just creates the false impression that you have anything of value to contribute to the discussion, and that's what you're after, isn't it? That's why you constantly lie, right?

We really need to just stop engaging with people like you and dismiss you with derision.

Derision might be in violation of forum rules. But the "ignore" function works pretty well.

Thanks for demonstrating that rightists have zero regard for facts. You even cite the data that refutes your own point, and brazenly lie anyway, because the truth simply doesn't matter to you. By lying, you are demonstrating power. You are so powerful that you have no need to give a fuck about the truth even as you provide the proof that refutes your own lies in the same fucking paragraph.

We really need to just stop engaging with people like you and dismiss you with derision. Constantly trying to fact check you just creates the false impression that you have anything of value to contribute to the discussion, and that's what you're after, isn't it? That's why you constantly lie, right?
Ardent Clinton supporter detected. Sorry but 30% is way too much, same as 70%.
But I understand why she lied 30%, she wanted to get elected. same is true with Putin and other politicians. Trump is of course different, he lies habitually and unnecessary, his brain is just wired that way.

Last edited:

Things are very different if you look at the pants-on-fire level lying, rather than the simply deceptive. (For example, a political mailer today that said that the candidate said they started a business in Nevada, the whole list of employees was on the page. Reality: It was a sole proprietorship--she was freelancing in her field.)

We really need to just stop engaging with people like you and dismiss you with derision.

Derision might be in violation of forum rules. But the "ignore" function works pretty well.

"ignore" may have gotten us into this mess. I know that in my little social media world, the Trump/Bannon/GOP lies were repeated/shared over and over and over again by a handful of friends. My social media friends only include real people that I have met so I wasn't getting bot/troll traffic. But my friends were sharing a lot of bot/troll/GOP generated bullshit memes and I never called them on it. None of the good people said anything. We kept on discussing polite things and common interests and just kept scrolling by the insane political stuff. I never put anybody on ignore or unfriended them. I also never challenged them. I still can't sadly because my work world and social world are mixed and I'm gagged on political matters because of my profession.

Back
Top Bottom