• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Race, Intelligence, and Gould's variation of Pascal's Wager

ApostateAbe

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Infotheist. I believe the gods to be mere information.
In 1994, after the publication of Herrnstein and Murray's The Bell Curve, a symposium of academics and political leaders set up a two-hour denunciation session for the press. Nominally, it was intended to denounce The Bell Curve. In reality, they denounced not only The Bell Curve but also the established facts of the mainstream science on intelligence.

The video is here:

Stephen J. Gould was among them. At the time range 1:36:10-1:37:53, he spoke as follows:

Now the main thing I wanted to say in here, and I credit my good friend Alan Dershowitz with putting it this way in a private discussion, and I think this captures both the moral and the practical point beautifully, and that is: we really don't know the causes of these differences. We really don't. That's the only honest statement, but think of it this way, since we don't know [...] suppose Herrnstein and Murray are right. But, since we don't know that, we continue to try our very best to help out even though it can't be totally effective. That's one scenario. Suppose, however, that we're right, and that these are substantially remediable because the immutability assumption of those four is wrong, but we follow Herrnstein and Murray's recommendations. You see the differential results is so great... after all, if they're right but if we do our program, what's the result? So we've spent some money and we've encountered some frustration, but to think of the tragedy involved if they're right and we follow their program, because then we have extinguished the human spirit in millions of people where it could have been acknowledged and nurtured, and that's ultimately on any cost/benefit analysis or moral argument where it comes down! Since we do not know, all we can do is follow our program, which I expect is correct because the consequences of not doing so are so horrendous, if we're right.

At first I thought maybe I misheard Gould when he spoke those last few words: "...all we can do is follow our program, which I expect is correct because the consequences of not doing so are so horrendous, if we're right." It is the most direct and plain statement of the fallacy of  appeal to consequences. He doesn't stop at the cost/benefit argument, but he stated that he expects he is right because of the potential consequences. I suspect that this ideological fallacy underlied his general thinking on the matter (he is now dead), but let's be generous and assume he spoke in haste and really believes that the cost/benefit analysis should not affect our beliefs about the objective probabilities of the science. Arguably, it could mean that we are morally obliged to act on the assumption of an idea even if it is improbable.

As in any religion, variations of Pascal's Wager lead an adherent to underestimate the negative consequences of believing and acting on a false dogma. In the case of the dogma that all mental distributions are equal between the races, it excessively punishes students with shame if they don't succeed in school, it excessively punishes parents with guilt for failing to raise smart children, it excessively punishes teachers and schools with pay cuts, firings and budget cuts if they are at fault for failing to raise the lower IQ of students without cheating (per Bush's No Child Left Behind Act and Obama's Race to the Top Act), it damns, with unpayable debt, black and Latino college students admitted below the typical admission requirements for failing to get grades high enough to graduate, it places excessive blame on the white populations for their false perceived role keeping the lower IQ populations in poverty, causing racial divisions, and any benefits resulting from the false belief (maybe a few more blacks will succeed in school than otherwise) will be temporary--when human genes for intelligence become fully understood within a few decades, that is when the popular fantasies end, the white supremacist agitators will lay sole claim to the science, and the liberal political establishment will be fully unprepared, if it turns out Herrnstein and Murray are correct. And they probably are. The potential negative consequences I have listed plainly do not change that probability, one way or the other.

I am less inclined to debate the science in this thread. That has been done in plenty of other threads elsewhere and I will continue to do so (go to the Social Science and Pseudoscience forums). I would like to discuss the potential consequences and the cost/benefit analyses. There are four quadrants of possibilities with this variant of Pascal's Wager. Tell me how you see it and how you agree or disagree with Gould.

pascals_wager.jpg

In the last sentence he is just saying the program where we assume there are no racial segregations in intelligence is the correct program to follow.

And he expects it to be the correct program because it is the program that does the least potential harm.

He isn't reversing what he already said in the first sentence. "...we really don't know the causes of these differences..."

He isn't claiming to know what part is genetic and what part is the sheer luck of experience.

In the last sentence he is just saying the program where we assume there are no racial segregations in intelligence is the correct program to follow.

And he expects it to be the correct program because it is the program that does the least potential harm.

He isn't reversing what he already said in the first sentence. "...we really don't know the causes of these differences..."

He isn't claiming to know what part is genetic and what part is the sheer luck of experience.
It is cool if we proceed with that interpretation. Do you agree with his cost/benefit analysis?

I edited the Pascal's Wager image for better illustration.

Gould_s_Wager.jpg

Duke Leto, I know these topics are offensive, and I am not obliging you to read my threads. Feel free to ignore them. You may even put me on your ignore list, and I will not hold it against you.

Duke Leto, I know these topics are offensive, and I am not obliging you to read my threads. Feel free to ignore them. You may even put me on your ignore list, and I will not hold it against you.

Actually, I want you banned.

You are already on the ignore list except for those occasions when I remove you to enable reporting you for spam in contravention of the TOU. It frankly astounds me that you are so damned stubborn that you persist in posting this garbage.

Actually, I want you banned.

You are already on the ignore list except for those occasions when I remove you to enable reporting you for spam in contravention of the TOU. It frankly astounds me that you are so damned stubborn that you persist in posting this garbage.
Yes, I appreciate this forum for its high quality of criticism of controversial ideas. I learn a lot from it. Jokodo alerted me to migration and gene flow between Southeast Asia and Madagascar. It is the kind of knowledge I would be less likely to gain from other communities.

I envy your ability to candidly express unpopular ideas over and over again, in the face of such open hostility. But I really don't see what you hope to accomplish.

I mean, what do you think goes into the yes/yes quadrant? Do you think that quadrant doesn't also contain "extinguished the human spirit in millions of people"? Do you think the truth will set us free?

I envy your ability to candidly express unpopular ideas over and over again, in the face of such open hostility. But I really don't see what you hope to accomplish.

I mean, what do you think goes into the yes/yes quadrant? Do you think that quadrant doesn't also contain "extinguished the human spirit in millions of people"? Do you think the truth will set us free?
The truth is not always a good thing. I think it is undeniable that a hereditarian perspective ("genetic determinism" is the slur) must subtract from the hopes of those who test poorly. In a slim minority of those who test poorly, there will be those who test wrongly--their abilities are actually high--and they will give up and live low lives when they didn't need to. That is the possibility--false negatives--that motivates the Noble Lie concerning IQ. The Noble Lie advocated by Stephen J Gould neglects the ill effects of false positives, and very many times more false positives are encouraged by the egalitarian perspective. They say that, if you give it your best shot, anyone can become a successful philosopher of religion. It is simply not true. Average student debt exceeds average credit card debt, at 28 thousand dollars. Some have debt exceeding a 100K. A helluva lot of people have debt after they did not graduate. A helluva lot of people have debt from degrees where they absolutely have no chance to compete with Daniel Dennett. With an IQ test and a realistic perspective of the theory of IQ, they could have chosen better comfortably paying career paths that need only a low or median intelligence. In the OP, I listed more reasons the Noble Lie is not so noble. The truth doesn't always help, but, on the whole, typically, it is a better choice than delusions, because hallucinations will not help you through the maze of life.

Steven Pinker makes the moral case well in this lecture (the first of three parts):

That's a puzzling objection. We already know there's a substantial genetic component to within-race intelligence variations; and we already know the environmental component of intelligence variation is childhood-heavy. So, irrespective of the reality or lack thereof of linkage between race and intelligence genes, what exactly does belief in their linkage do to extinguish the human spirit in millions of people, that giving those people individual IQ tests doesn't do too? Is it really so uplifting to the human spirit to tell someone "Yes, your IQ is 90, so your prospects for an intellectually stimulating and high-paying career are limited; but at least take comfort in knowing that among the other people who lucked out in the gene lottery/didn't get their brains screwed up when they were kids, and therefore have much better prospects than you, lots and lots of them are from the same ethnic group as you."?

We already know there's a substantial genetic component to within-race intelligence variations;

Contribution, not component.

Component suggests that there is a part of intelligence variation that is hived off to only be effected by genetics, and that isn't how it works.

and we already know the environmental component of intelligence variation is childhood-heavy.

No, we know that childhood environment has a greater effect than present environment. Which if you think of intelligence as being habits of thinking, is not surprising no matter how you characterise it.

So, irrespective of the reality or lack thereof of linkage between race and intelligence genes, what exactly does belief in their linkage do to extinguish the human spirit in millions of people, that giving those people individual IQ tests doesn't do too?

It compounds the confusion. Giving someone an IQ test is relatively straightforward. It tells them how good they are at taking IQ tests, and thus by implication how good they are things correlated to them. The reasons for their performance level are anything from the conditions under which the test was taken, to their upbringing and childhood, etc. etc. People can demonstrably improve (or weaken) their scores at IQ tests, so it gives them some useful information on how to improve in the future.

Believing that IQ is somehow an expression of your genes is quite different. You're implying that they are 'locked in' to their score, that their prospects can never improve or change. Trying to convince people that they are helpless to effect their own future has a number of well-studied and well-established negative side effects, having a measurably negative impact o not only their lives, but the lives of those around them.

It seems weird having to explain to a community of atheists why an unsupported belief in a force that can't be resisted altered or defied, but which determines your life, prospects and future, is somehow a bad thing. And yet, here we are.

Contribution, not component.

Component suggests that there is a part of intelligence variation that is hived off to only be effected by genetics, and that isn't how it works.
I have no objection to "contribution"; but, um, no it doesn't. You can do a principle component analysis whether or not the phenomenon you're measuring is "hived off".

and we already know the environmental component of intelligence variation is childhood-heavy.

No, we know that childhood environment has a greater effect than present environment.
I'm at a loss as to why you'd call that "No, ..." instead of "Yes, ...". As far as I can see, your wording and my wording mean the same thing. But since they apparently mean different things to you, that would seem to give yours the win for clarity, so again, I have no objection to it.

So, irrespective of the reality or lack thereof of linkage between race and intelligence genes, what exactly does belief in their linkage do to extinguish the human spirit in millions of people, that giving those people individual IQ tests doesn't do too?

It compounds the confusion. Giving someone an IQ test is relatively straightforward. It tells them how good they are at taking IQ tests, and thus by implication how good they are things correlated to them. The reasons for their performance level are anything from the conditions under which the test was taken, to their upbringing and childhood, etc. etc. People can demonstrably improve (or weaken) their scores at IQ tests, so it gives them some useful information on how to improve in the future.

Believing that IQ is somehow an expression of your genes is quite different. You're implying that they are 'locked in' to their score, that their prospects can never improve or change. Trying to convince people that they are helpless to effect their own future has a number of well-studied and well-established negative side effects, having a measurably negative impact o not only their lives, but the lives of those around them.
You appear to have missed the point -- there is nothing in your response that addresses race linkage. That IQ is to a considerable extent an expression of one's genes is well-established. To whatever degree that means people are "locked in", this knowledge is going to have a negative impact on them regardless of whether it's "You're stupid because your parents gave you cruddy genes" or "You're stupid because your orc parents gave you cruddy orc genes instead of better elf genes". The same goes for childhood environment -- that locks people in too, again whether the environmental deprivation was race-linked or not. And sure, people can improve their IQ test scores, but that just means that the contribution from genes + childhood environment is less than 100%. And that remains the case whether the genetic contribution is correlated with race or not.

Incidentally, the belief that something being genetic implies it's locked in is a mistake we'd do well to disabuse people of. As Gould was fond of pointing out, nearsightedness is 100% heritable and 100% correctable by introducing eyeglasses into the present environment.

It seems weird having to explain to a community of atheists why an unsupported belief in a force that can't be resisted altered or defied, but which determines your life, prospects and future, is somehow a bad thing. And yet, here we are.
If you refrain from condescension, you'll avoid putting yourself in the position of being simultaneously condescending and wrong.

What needs to be asked is the "why?". What is the gain of this study? Intelligence is a vague metric to measure in the first place. And in general, there does not appear to be a drastic difference in intelligence among races to begin with and some people seem destined to split hairs to find some.

So why is this being forwarded? What is the gain? Blacks do worse than whites on SAT's. However, they don't bomb the SAT's. We don't have an entire nation of blacks in the US that are doomed to grunt labor because they can't work a computer, can't even get themselves dressed.

There seems to be a lot of effort to try and notice a difference in the measurement of a metric (intelligence) of which we still don't quite well understand or know how to measure accurately... and to do so based solely on race. Why is that?

The truth is not always a good thing. I think it is undeniable that a hereditarian perspective ("genetic determinism" is the slur) must subtract from the hopes of those who test poorly. In a slim minority of those who test poorly, there will be those who test wrongly--their abilities are actually high--and they will give up and live low lives when they didn't need to. That is the possibility--false negatives--that motivates the Noble Lie concerning IQ. The Noble Lie advocated by Stephen J Gould neglects the ill effects of false positives, and very many times more false positives are encouraged by the egalitarian perspective. They say that, if you give it your best shot, anyone can become a successful philosopher of religion. It is simply not true. Average student debt exceeds average credit card debt, at 28 thousand dollars. Some have debt exceeding a 100K. A helluva lot of people have debt after they did not graduate. A helluva lot of people have debt from degrees where they absolutely have no chance to compete with Daniel Dennett. With an IQ test and a realistic perspective of the theory of IQ, they could have chosen better comfortably paying career paths that need only a low or median intelligence. In the OP, I listed more reasons the Noble Lie is not so noble. The truth doesn't always help, but, on the whole, typically, it is a better choice than delusions, because hallucinations will not help you through the maze of life.

That's because you, in the US, have a fucked up education system, and also because we, everywhere in the West, have a fucked up system of valuing professions where a craftsman who's doing well is still frequently looked down upon by an academic on a fixed term project (and I'm saying this as a member of the latter group). Fixing that is a political quest that is far removed from discussions about IQ, race, or their correlation.

That's because you, in the US, have a fucked up education system, and also because we, everywhere in the West, have a fucked up system of valuing professions where a craftsman who's doing well is still frequently looked down upon by an academic on a fixed term project (and I'm saying this as a member of the latter group). Fixing that is a political quest that is far removed from discussions about IQ, race, or their correlation.
Partial agreement. I expect that significantly increasing the social level of respect bestowed on career paths needing only lower intelligence that yield lower income will be difficult, as I do think that such hierarchical thinking is hard-wired instinct, existing in every human society for that reason. The solution of fixing the problem with only consideration of truths, to encourage realistic pursuits of careers as high as psychometrically plausible, would be more convincing on the whole.

What needs to be asked is the "why?". What is the gain of this study? Intelligence is a vague metric to measure in the first place. And in general, there does not appear to be a drastic difference in intelligence among races to begin with and some people seem destined to split hairs to find some.

So why is this being forwarded? What is the gain? Blacks do worse than whites on SAT's. However, they don't bomb the SAT's. We don't have an entire nation of blacks in the US that are doomed to grunt labor because they can't work a computer, can't even get themselves dressed.

There seems to be a lot of effort to try and notice a difference in the measurement of a metric (intelligence) of which we still don't quite well understand or know how to measure accurately... and to do so based solely on race. Why is that?
The "So we've spent some money and we've encountered some frustration" quadrant of Gould's cost/benefit analysis would be based on the hypothetical assumptions, contrary to Gould's position, that IQ really is an informative measure of intelligence and that measures of intelligence really are relevant causal variants of academic and social success. Like I said, I am less inclined to debate the science behind those assumptions in this thread (other threads about it have now all been dumped in the Pseudoscience forum), but I am willing to discuss the cost/benefit analyses given the respective sets of assumptions.

Partial agreement. I expect that significantly increasing the social level of respect bestowed on career paths needing only lower intelligence that yield lower income will be difficult, as I do think that such hierarchical thinking is hard-wired instinct, existing in every human society for that reason. The solution of fixing the problem with only consideration of truths, to encourage realistic pursuits of careers as high as psychometrically plausible, would be more convincing on the whole.

Hard-wired instinct? We're talking about the relative status of professions most of which didn't exist a few hundred years ago - and when thy did, they more often than not had a quite different status from the one they have today. Or are you claiming that the ancient Egyptians were hard-wired to honour scribes while we today are hard-wired to look down on typists?

Back
Top Bottom