• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rad Satan

So...any plans to fix the broken linky/image?

Reactions: WAB
Personally, I whisper "believe in reality". I'm too much of an idiot to believe in myself, and god, well... if there is one it looks like he doesn't interact with the universe directly.

So I have a self I can't believe in, and a God I can't believe in. Reality, on the other hand... That slaps me across the face at regular intervals letting me know it exists.

TL;DR: believe in what is real, verifiable, repeatable, observable thanks.

Or...its just fluff for those that are already smitten with the Skybeastie...
Oh, i should have thought of that. This isn't to attract heathens, it's to reinforcd the faithful.
I'm often told that being an atheist or believing in evolution means i am seeing myself as a god. Silly uppity mortal, thinking mortal investigations can lead me to satisfying answers.
This ad is for those who have the bumper sticker, 'god says it, i bleeves it, that settles it.'

Or those yard signs that say "As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord." If that was next door, I'd be tempted to post, "As for me and my house, we shall laugh at you and your house." (Except you'd never get misdirected mail if it ended up in their box.)

Believers must believe in themselves, their judgement, their power of discernment when they placed their faith in Jesus or God.

Believers must believe in themselves, their judgement, their power of discernment when they placed their faith in Jesus or God.

Most of them, though, have believed since before they ever questioned anything they were taught. It was not a choice, but programming.

Most of them, though, have believed since before they ever questioned anything they were taught. It was not a choice, but programming.

True, but as a part of growing up, learning and experiencing, we are exposed to other ideas and possibilities, things that may challenge our beliefs and assumptions.

Isnt this ad much the same as the Dawkins Billboard?

...there's no God, no afterlife, stop worrying, enjoy yourself, you deserve it, you're the god of your own universe

article-1106924-02F61967000005DC-21_468x286.jpg

ETA - is that Dawkins' wife? (The one on the right)

Last edited:
Enjoying your life doesn't mean being free of all responsibility or doing whatever you please without consequence.

True, but as a part of growing up, learning and experiencing, we are exposed to other ideas and possibilities, things that may challenge our beliefs and assumptions.
May.

After 9/11, a fairly high level cleric got on TV and advised people whose faith was shaken by the event. Doubt is normal. Don't think a moment or two of doubt means you don't love God. Deal with the event, and your feelings. And seek help, maybe spiritual counseling. Because the important thing is that you recover your faith at the end.
He was roundly criticized by all the other clerics for suggedting yhat the slightest doubt was acceptable for true christains.

Or...its just fluff for those that are already smitten with the Skybeastie...
Oh, i should have thought of that. This isn't to attract heathens, it's to reinforcd the faithful.
I'm often told that being an atheist or believing in evolution means i am seeing myself as a god. Silly uppity mortal, thinking mortal investigations can lead me to satisfying answers.
This ad is for those who have the bumper sticker, 'god says it, i bleeves it, that settles it.'

The VAST majority of proselytising is intended to reinforce the believers' existing belief, and has neither the intent nor the capacity to recruit new believers.

Most of it is dressed up as an attempt to recruit; But the number of converts is pitiful, and the most common response is ridicule.

If it were an attempt to convert non-believers, it would be stupid to continue with such a disastrous set of tactics. But when you disregard the stated intent, and instead look at the effect of ridicule on the people who already believe, it becomes obvious. Proselytising is a means to make crystal clear to your followers that the outsiders (ie everyone not already in the cult) are mean and hateful. Your only friendship and support comes from within the cult, and it would be folly to consider leaving.

Isnt this ad much the same as the Dawkins Billboard?

...there's no God, no afterlife, stop worrying, enjoy yourself, you deserve it, you're the god of your own universe

View attachment 31211

You made half of that up, because you have no problem with being unethical in support of your beliefs. That strongly suggests to me that your beliefs are the antithesis of goodness.

If your god existed, he would probably be pretty pissed off with your disingenuous and unethical behaviour, particularly as you seem to think you're doing it on his behalf.

Fortunately, your god is a fictional character, and so suffers from the same immoral attitudes, flaws, illogic, and emotionally charged nonsense that his authors do - so he isn't in a position to do anything about your bad behaviour.

View attachment 31211

Last edited by Lion IRC; 01-08-2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Three's company
Why? Did the close proximity of one male and two females conjure an image of philandering in your mind? Do you want to make that suggestion more explicit?

The woman on the left is Ariane Sherine and the woman on the right is Polly Toynbee. It was a bigger company than three persons at the event.

Dawkins, a man i know to exist, thinks i should not fear invisible boogeymen, but enjoy my time on Earth.
Yes, that's exactly the same thing as men who claim to speak for the invisible skybeast saying the invisible boogeyman will make me waste my time on Earth and miss invisible paradise. Good catch.

Thus pretty much proving this is not recruiting from our side, it's feel-good reinforcement for yours.

View attachment 31211

Last edited by Lion IRC; 01-08-2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Three's company
Why? Did the close proximity of one male and two females conjure an image of philandering in your mind? Do you want to make that suggestion more explicit?
It is rather telling that Lion seems to assume the worse when seeing a photo of Dawkins posing for a picture with two women (must be some serious "sinnin'" goin' on). And yet in another thread Lion staunchly defends Ravi Zacharias who is being accused by several women and his own organization of sexual abuse.

Back
Top Bottom