• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rad Satan

Well, as we all know, Dawkins is one of the worshipful High Priests of Atheism. So if Christian priests and preachers are found to be committing sexual abuses, it must seem "only fair" to try to spread that around a little, even if just by sneakily insinuating dumb things.

Well, as we all know, Dawkins is one of the worshipful High Priests of Atheism. So if Christian priests and preachers are found to be committing sexual abuses, it must seem "only fair" to try to spread that around a little, even if just by sneakily insinuating dumb things.

It would follow, based on the stoopid idea that our atheism is what we put in the place where religion goes, then one has to ask what's used in our religious-authority-scandal place?

Isnt this ad much the same as the Dawkins Billboard?

...there's no God, no afterlife, stop worrying, enjoy yourself, you deserve it, you're the god of your own universe

View attachment 31211

You made half of that up...

I hate to break the news to you but advertising is always suggestive of MORE than just the copy text. Educate yourself a little #madmen #psychology

Aheists cannot feel empathy? Atheists cannot, without the aid of priests or holy books claiming to speak of the behalf of God - whatever that is supposed to be - understand the consequences of their actions?

"there's no God, no afterlife, stop worrying, enjoy yourself, you deserve it, you're the god of your own universe."
Hinduism - Advaita (non-duality).
The universe itself is that (which you mistakenly term as as a personal God), Brahman.
Brahman is eternal, changeless, form-fee and un-involved (would not worry about a galaxy decimating the other as Andromeda will do to Milky Way galaxy after a few billion years, as a supermassive black hole devours a star coming near it)
Sarvam Khalu Idam Brahma - All things here (are) Brahman.
sky-lights-space-dark.jpg[/B]

Kewl story bro.
...I mean...BRAH

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/NNrAoMwbm9g[/YOUTUBE]

Kewl story bro.
...I mean...BRAH
"Tat twam Asi" (That is what you are)
George Harrisson did not understand this. He got into wrong company. :)

Sage Uddalaka Aruni explaining Brahman to his son, Śvetaketu:
1. O Somya (my dear son), suppose a man is brought with his hands tied, and they say: ‘This man has stolen something. He has committed robbery. Heat up an axe for him.’ If he has committed the offence, then surely he will prove himself to be a liar. Being dishonest and trying to hide under the cover of falsehood, he will be burned when he grasps the hot axe, and then he will be killed.
2. But if he has not committed the offense, then surely he will prove himself to be truthful. Being honest, he will be protected by the cover of truth and will not be burned when he grasps the hot axe. He will then be set free.
3. ‘That man, being honest, is not affected by the hot axe. That [Self] is the Self of all this. It is the Truth. It is the Self. That thou art, O Śvetaketu.’ Śvetaketu learnt this well from his father.
Chandogya Upanishad, 6.16.3, Sama Veda, 1st millennium BCE
Chandogya Upanishad is an addendum to Sama Veda.

If all things are Brahman, Brahman is not changeless or without form, Brahman is all forms......?
Yeah, DBT, that is very correct - and something deep to understand. Brahman has no particular form for itself but it can take all forms without falsifying that it is changeless.
The reason is that Brahman always changes, every plank moment, and nobody understood it better than Richard Faynman.

We can say that something is changing when any one or more of its properties change, be it direction, speed, mass etc. But Brahman is energy, there is no change in it. It carries on doing what it does all the time, i.e., keep changing. And it changes every thing without any change in itself. That is why it is formless but at the same time seems to assume all types of forms (that is the input of our senses and the output of our brain and mind). Changing all the time but still remaining changeless. This is deep Advaita philosophy which even normal advaitists also do not undestand.

6CRWyaE.jpg

Attachments

• Feynman-diagrams-of-the-one-loop-muonic-vacuum-polarization-terms-a-c-electric-and_Q320.jpg
    Feynman-diagrams-of-the-one-loop-muonic-vacuum-polarization-terms-a-c-electric-and_Q320.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
Changeless change......

I kinda get it. The universe has principles that don't change, that describe immutably how change may happen and creat boundaries. And everything that is within those boundaries appears to have a way of flowing, one thing to the next and where one thing happens, adds a tiny flake of decision to the whole thing, and then the old thing is gone and a new thing is here, implying but not containing the past.

I keep going back to the OP, though. What on earth were they trying to say?

Satan, it appears, deceives us by whispering 'believe in yourself.' Trusting in yourself rather the bible/word of God, priest or pastor leads us astray. Sheep are fine, Goats are toast.

The quote was originally a Tweet by some 'fundagelical' sort. Here's a blog that gives a bit of background to it: link to Patheos blog.

Among her comments: "when Smethurst was talking about “believe in yourself,” he wasn’t talking about it from the standpoint of how regular people mean it, which is to say having normal self-confidence and trust in one’s own abilities. He meant it quite literally: that people who accept Satan’s rule in their lives quite literally put themselves into the Christian god’s rightful place, giving themselves the worship, praise, and groveling that belongs to their god".

Apparently the Christian's tweet got snarky responses along the lines of "Satan gives good advice!" Which is what I thought irt the quote in Keith's OP.

Smethurst saw those responses and explained himself:

image.jpg

The blogger seems doubtful that the explanation is forthright.

Last edited:
Time, it seems, is the dimension of change. As with Space/time: time/change.
But what has changed? Nothing. It is still energy pervading the whole universe.

If you stand far enough away from a railroad crossing, you cannot see a difference between when the lights are flashing or not, so you might say it's no change.
If you're standing on the tracks, though, the change is notable and rather significant.
And if your foot is stuck between the ties, it's hard to be too open to a philosophical stance on the overall lack of change.

I think that the image that was posted in the OP was likely a reference to an old idea among Christians that "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist". Christians seem to believe that the fact people don't believe in the devil is proof that he is real and is manipulating them. Devout fundies probably understood that image that way.

I found the idea expressed at least as far back as the mid-1800s:
In 1856 “Spiritualism, a Satanic Delusion, and a Sign of the Times” by Pastor William Ramsey included this passage:

"One of the most striking proofs of the personal existence of Satan, which our times afford us, is found in the fact, that he has so influenced the minds of multitudes in reference to his existence and doings, as to make them believe that he does not exist; and that the hosts of Demons or Evil Spirits, over whom Satan presides as Prince, are only the phantasies of the brain, some hallucinations of mind. Could we have a stronger proof of the existence of a mind so mighty as to produce such results?"

Back
Top Bottom