• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Reasoning and defensiveness

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
There are simply some things that some of us don't usually do, and there is often a reason why we won't usually do it. That we (ourselves) might not do something doesn't necessarily mean we have a problem with others doing it--or that we think it's wrong or think others shouldn't--sometimes yes, perhaps, but not always.

I, for example, rarely conduct any business regarding personal matters on company time. In fact, I will go out of my way (most of the time) to see that it doesn't happen. I think or plan ahead for the most part, and when I don't, I'll deal with whatever issue that needs to be dealt with during my own free time.

Keep in mind that the above is merely an example. It's an example of something that I don't usually do. Is there some reason behind it? Probably, I guess, but what I want to focus on goes well beyond the example--it's the reaction others might have to your usually not doing something when others (themselves) does or would do (or knows someone who does or would do) that which you (yourself) would not ordinarily do.

The reaction is in my experience prevalent. It's sometimes subtle, but it could very easily be characterized as defensiveness--even if it's disguised as otherwise. People (apparently) do not like it when others espouse their views of what they wouldn't ordinarily do when it's something the listener considers perfectly fine ... So, like a spring in action--there is almost always a response of some kind: 1) an interrogative --almost always a tale tell sign that the unspoken basis for the reasoning behind the espousal of the view is somehow relevant 2) a claim -- never verbalized unless their views are in discord with your own. 3) conversation of sorts --never fails--if you don't usually do something and let it be known, you will be met with agreement on occasion, but in the absence of agreement, never (hardly ever) does silence reign supreme; hence, someone's gonna (almost like gotta) ... They can't help themselves ... They must interject.

What's in the air (there seems to be) is a peaceful attempt on part of the listener to justify why they will or would do the very thing you have espoused to usually not do.

I didn't really have a question, but feel free to expound on the topic.

People get defensive when they feel like they're being judged, whether there is any judging going on or not.

You might notice that the people who get defensive most often in the situations you describe are themselves judgmental types.

People get defensive when they feel like they're being judged, whether there is any judging going on or not.

You might notice that the people who get defensive most often in the situations you describe are themselves judgmental types.
Yeah, it reminds me of the importance of preemptively countering likely responses by not merely saying what I am saying but also by explaining what I'm not saying...a tactic sometimes fruitful (but exasperating) when discussing philosophical issues.

For instance, by qualifying my view with the idea that I don't think there's a problem, it forestalls the thought that I'm being judgmental.

I was thinking about a similar type of thing today, and I came up with the term 'psychological survival', which your example is applicable to, but the concept would extend further.

Psychological survival is a broader way of describing the process that the ego undergoes. It's the idea that the mind has an imperative to make justifications which fortify the ego. In other words, people *need* to believe themselves to be smart, important, rational .. and so on, because if they didn't, or couldn't do that, they'd basically just crumble and die. So when someone reports that they do things differently than you, as in your example, in many cases this is a slight to their ego which sets off defense mechanisms to maintain the person's rightness.

Yeah, it reminds me of the importance of preemptively countering likely responses by not merely saying what I am saying but also by explaining what I'm not saying...a tactic sometimes fruitful (but exasperating) when discussing philosophical issues.

For instance, by qualifying my view with the idea that I don't think there's a problem, it forestalls the thought that I'm being judgmental.

Sometimes I do that, too, but sometimes even if I expect that reaction I just let them think whatever. I guess it depends on how important the topic is for me and whether I am interested in the thoughts of whoever I'm talking to.

People want to be the same as the average person in their tribe (even if the tribe is their bowling league, church, or coworkers). When something is pointed out that shows that they are 'different' than another member of the tribe, the 'gut reaction' is to either outcast the other, or make excuses for one's own differences (or, what I see most often, an explanation as to how their perceived differences are not really differences at all).

People are usually driven to want to say, "me too".

... "me too".

David Brooks "In praise of small miracles"
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/12/opinion/david-brooks-in-praise-of-small-miracles.html?_r=0

"Too many people die in auto accidents. When governments try to reduce highway deaths, they generally increase safety regulations. But, also in Kenya, stickers were placed inside buses and vans urging passengers to scream at automobile drivers they saw driving dangerously.
The heckling discouraged dangerous driving by an awesome amount. Insurance claims involving injury or death fell to half of their previous levels."

We were not made to go to work and obey commands and be ordered about.

These are things we submit to.

Some are better at submitting to arbitrary authority than others.

Some are more worm-like and less human.

There are simply some things that some of us don't usually do, and there is often a reason why we won't usually do it. That we (ourselves) might not do something doesn't necessarily mean we have a problem with others doing it--or that we think it's wrong or think others shouldn't--sometimes yes, perhaps, but not always.

The reaction is in my experience prevalent. It's sometimes subtle, but it could very easily be characterized as defensiveness--even if it's disguised as otherwise.

So, like a spring in action--there is almost always a response of some kind: 1) an interrogative --almost always a tale tell sign that the unspoken basis for the reasoning behind the espousal of the view is somehow relevant 2) a claim -- never verbalized unless their views are in discord with your own. 3) conversation of sorts --never fails--if you don't usually do something and let it be known, you will be met with agreement on occasion, but in the absence of agreement, never (hardly ever) does silence reign supreme; hence, someone's gonna (almost like gotta) ... They can't help themselves ... They must interject.

Interesting observation. I think there is a lot of truth to it. Although, if they do not reply, is it because they agree or because they are not speaking up? Maybe the bold is hard to prove that it's as common as you think?

And yet, I think it is common (I just couldn't figure out how you'd prove that, if they aren't speaking up).

I've had it happen to me, too. I've done it sometimes. But other times I've kept quiet because I'm okay that they disagree. It's BIG in parenting discussions. Starting from breastfeeding and on into spanking - the impulse is strong with people.

I have a pretty good response for that.

I have a pretty good response for that.

Yeah. I plan to go fishing with some of those worm-like people.

Back
Top Bottom