• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Republicans to Cruz:

As much a I dislike Cruz, at least he stood for one of his convictions. Walker dropped out so that others would join him in defeating Trump, citing him as dangerous. Endorsement. Christy, Rubio, most of the others accused Trump of being dangerously unqualified, even stating he shouldn't be allowed near the nuclear codes. Yet, here thay are, endorsing this man. This isn't a case of endorsing after saying a few harsh statements on the campaign trail. This is a case of saying Trump is actually dangerous for the country, partially out of his ignorance, partially because of his authoritarianism and fascist tendencies. Yet, here they stand, somehow saying he's at least better than Hillary?! Hillary could actually be everything Republicans accuse her of being and she would still be much more qualified than Trump.

If someone of such sheer incompetence ran as a democrat, I couldn't support him or her in the name of party unity. Do none of these people have ANY principles? The base of the Republican party I can at least partially understand, they're low info voters, and thus don't really have a grasp of what they're doing in making Trump their nominee. The other nominees DO know better though.

I don't understand how anyone of any intelligence and ethics can still be a Republican. Party shouldn't come before country. quite the opposite, in fact. Disgusting.

What's doubly funny is that there was an IQ2 debate a while back where Laura Ingraham made the point that certain things couldn't be compromised on because it would in fact run counter to the R party philosophy - and yet when Cruz stands up for his convictions he's booed off the stage.

Full debate if anyone is interested - it sounds like it's from another planet when juxtaposed with the current election: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bayJo5mMecs

The whole thing was orchestrated. Trump made a deal with Cruz to avoid a floor fight involving Cruz delegates in exchange for Cruz speaking in a prime time slot. Trump timed his entrance into the convention purposely to divert attention away from Cruz, knowing he wasn't going to get an endorsement.

Politically, Cruz missed a golden opportunity-a similar situation happened in 1976 when Ford gave Reagan a prime time slot to avoid a floor fight. Reagan gave a great unifying speech that cemented his leadership in the party for 1980. I don't see where Cruz will get anything out of this.

Cruz is counting on Trump losing so Cruz can say "told you so" for 2020.

As to 'the pledge' - yeah Cruz pledged and reneged. Cruz is an evil slime bucket with the amazing distinction of being the.most.hated person in Congress... ever. Why is anyone shocked?

That said, the GOP got what they had coming with that one. They created the asinine 'pledge' as a 'gotcha' for Donald Trump, never imagining in their wildest nightmares that Trump would actually be the nominee.

As for Trump, he claims he read Cruz's speech 2 hours prior to Cruz taking the stage, and let him go on anyway. Trump completely orchestrated what happened. Trump may be a lousy businessman, lousy husband and lousy human being - but his ability to manipulate events to his benefit is without compare. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn he had people planted in the audience to start the boo-ing. He wasn't just accidently waiting in the wings to step out to take the lime-light. He totally played Cruz.

And this is why we should be worried that Trump could actually win this thing.

As much a I dislike Cruz, at least he stood for one of his convictions. Walker dropped out so that others would join him in defeating Trump, citing him as dangerous. Endorsement. Christy, Rubio, most of the others accused Trump of being dangerously unqualified, even stating he shouldn't be allowed near the nuclear codes. Yet, here thay are, endorsing this man. This isn't a case of endorsing after saying a few harsh statements on the campaign trail. This is a case of saying Trump is actually dangerous for the country, partially out of his ignorance, partially because of his authoritarianism and fascist tendencies. Yet, here they stand, somehow saying he's at least better than Hillary?! Hillary could actually be everything Republicans accuse her of being and she would still be much more qualified than Trump.

Actually, Cruz says it's because Trump insulted his wife and father.

Granted, insulting my mother to my face could earn you a nomination for "Uppercut of the Year" recipient...

Unfortunately, Pence (who would actually be running the country if Trump were elected) is just as much of a religious nutter as Cruz. He just doesn't come across like the spawn of Satan like Cruz does.

Yup. Doesn't believe evolution happens or that humans have anything to do with climate change ... just another anti-science moron. Which ironically I don't think Trump really is, though he has to make himself look like one to pander to evangelicals.

Let it sink in that republicans are getting offended being told to vote with their conscience.

tbf, that was plain code to vote Hillary or Johnson and not Trump. I can understand why party diehards wouldn't like that.

Let it sink in that republicans are getting offended being told to vote with their conscience.

tbf, that was plain code to vote Hillary or Johnson and not Trump. I can understand why party diehards wouldn't like that.

Sure, but it's still kind of delicious to see the repubs having to publicly disavow the notion that the should follow their (presumed) consciences.

Sure, but it's still kind of delicious to see the repubs having to publicly disavow the notion that the should follow their (presumed) consciences.
When they decide to boo someone who's telling them to vote their conscience you've got to remember they're republicans. Booing someone giving this advice is an act of conscience.

derec said:
Btw, how would the Democrats feel if Bernie refused to endorse Hillary and instead told the convention to "vote their conscience" instead? I doubt it would go over too well with the DNC.
We know how Democrats felt because Bernie took his sweet time saying he would vote for Hillary. So what?

Not only that, we will hear from the die hard Bernie folks at the convention. I understand they are planning a demonstration on the floor. It'll be nothing new, democrats always have disagreements.

I suppose, although they are and always have been bobbleheads and proud of it!

Unprecedented.

When has a nominee been shunned like this by the Party he supposedly will represent?

The Republican party is being torn apart.

The bigots and crazies behind Trump are pulling the Party from the greedy and unprincipled but sane.

Unprecedented.

When has a nominee been shunned like this by the Party he supposedly will represent?

The bigots and crazies behind Trump are pulling the Party from the greedy and unprincipled but sane.

And yet, latest polling from Real Clear Politics and Huffington Post Polls show Trump and Clinton running essentially neck and neck.

This scares me. Trump may not prove a good leader, but he is proving to be a rather successful candidate.

Unprecedented.

And yet, latest polling from Real Clear Politics and Huffington Post Polls show Trump and Clinton running essentially neck and neck.

This scares me. Trump may not prove a good leader, but he is proving to be a rather successful candidate.

Hillary is a weak presidential candidate. She had a huge lead on Bernie and a bigger machine.

As you say she has no lead on Trump. She does have a better national machine.

But we are dealing with irrationality.

Which is how advertising has worked for a long time. Emotional imagery and ideas and appeals to irrational desires.

A people raised on modern advertising is primed to make irrational choices.

Back
Top Bottom