• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Retired generals warn of possible coup attempt in 2024

The other kind of AI is bottom-up AI. One starts with a model that has variable parameters, and one then runs some optimization algorithm to find the best-fit parameter values. Artificial neural networks or connectionism is a version of this approach.

Statistical natural-language translation uses this approach, and it's what Google Translate and some other recent autotranslators use. It must be noted that one needs a big corpus of translations to work from.

This approach may fail if there was not enough to work from, like with the word "cowed".

A big difficulty with Chinese is that one has to learn a *lot* of Chinese characters. At least 2000 or 2500, and more for high proficiency. To add to that difficulty, there is no canonical sort order of them, as there often is for alphabets.

Russian writing is a *lot* easier. Russian is written with an alphabet not much different from the Roman or Greek alphabets, and its spelling is approximately phonetic.

[I thought I posted this yesterday, but see it now in a Preview buffer.]

... how long it takes to reach ... or “Speaking-3/Reading-3"
  • 24 weeks: Danish, Dutch, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swedish
  • 88 weeks: Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean
We've had this discussion before. I think it is reading (let alone writing) the strange scripts that makes languages like Chinese difficult.

Conversational fluency may be enough to communicate with our overlords, learning such phrases as "Bend over" or "Fetch my whips."

A big difficulty with Chinese is that one has to learn a *lot* of Chinese characters. At least 2000 or 2500, and more for high proficiency. To add to that difficulty, there is no canonical sort order of them, as there often is for alphabets.
Yeah, I've watched my wife look things up in a dictionary. You look through multiple tables before being pointed to the right page--and there's no order to the page. Even though she understands alphabetical order it's not automatic for her like it is for us--we presume lists to be alphabetic and automatically use something approximating a binary search on them unless we can see it's not going to work. She doesn't expect order to lists.

With the US military split, some enemy could then try to see what it could get away with
Yeah, start studying russian, could become useful :)
Or Chinese. Maybe both.
Chinese is way too hard. Russian is doable.
Chinese isn't hard. More toddlers learn to speak it than to speak any other language.

Note the late age for basic literacy compared to other languages. It's hard for those that grow up speaking it.

Scene from more than 30 years ago: 15? year old, native Mandarin speaker. There's a newspaper article with a big character. The kid asks my wife what it means. He wasn't an idiot, it was perfectly reasonable for a 15 year old to not know the symbol for a reasonably common word. (Although in this case it was quite legitimate--it was actually Japanese, not Chinese. As a lone symbol that wasn't obvious.)

Scene from more than 30 years ago: 15? year old, native Mandarin speaker. There's a newspaper article with a big character. The kid asks my wife what it means. He wasn't an idiot, it was perfectly reasonable for a 15 year old to not know the symbol for a reasonably common word. (Although in this case it was quite legitimate--it was actually Japanese, not Chinese. As a lone symbol that wasn't obvious.)
This could be what saves US. By the time young chinese man finishes with this literacy thing he is 30 and has no desire to invade any country.

Russian in comparison nowadays you are expected to read before entering school.
In my days they taught to read in school. And I remember going to school in September and reading actual random books on a New Year. Actually before that, but that's my memory. Basically 2-3 months and you are done with reading, the rest is writing.
Actually it was definitely before New Year, becasue we moved that year around that time and it was still old place. So yeah, it took no longer than couple of months.

Not to redirect the thread but those generals should be warning about a second coup attempt as recent news has demonstrated that there was definitely a first attempt last year.

Not to redirect the thread but those generals should be warning about a second coup attempt as recent news has demonstrated that there was definitely a first attempt last year.
Yeah, the majority of the GOP in the House supported the coup. The Senate and Pence were the failsafe.

The left hates Pence for eveything he does. The right hates him for one thing.

With the US military split, some enemy could then try to see what it could get away with
Yeah, start studying russian, could become useful :)
Totally.. I love dead languages... they are a great tool in learning Linguistics. There are more ancient ones in use for education today.. but someday, Russian might be one of those novel dead languages to study.

Back
Top Bottom