• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Richard Carrier’s “On the Historicity of Jesus” now out

When, in your opinion, were the Epistles written, assuming you accept some as genuine?

I'm not sure, but I don't accept your dating as definitive. I think the conventional dating, as you have posed, has a tendency towards a 'confessional preference drift' that pushes scriptural dating as far in to the past as possible. This is a tradition stretching back to Eusebius.

I note that you reference the 'epistles', without any reference to 'Pauline epistles', nor even bother to take in to consideration that scholars tend to think some are genuine and some are not. Then there are the Dutch Radikalcritik scholars who seem to think that Paul is a mythic construct.

So...Which epistles are you talking about? Can you even pick out the 'genuine' ones?

Then...You do know about Marcion, right? You are familiar with the history of Marcion and his use of the Pauline epistles? (And, evidently, an ur-GLuke.) Right? So, you must know that the 'Pauline epistles', which we presently have possession of, are a reworking of the scriptures reclaimed from Marcion and his heretics, who had placed them at the core of their 'christian' bible (Apostolikon). So...I think we can expect that they have been considerably redacted and edited to fit proto-orthodox sensibilities. Say, Paul, one god or TWO? And these were 'Christians'. This took place around the third decade of the second century, when the landscape seemed rife with widely variant interpretations of christs, as well as the wider genre of salvific heroes, like Mithras.

Last edited:
When, in your opinion, were the Epistles written, assuming you accept some as genuine?

I'm not sure, but I don't accept your dating as definitive.

I note that you reference the 'epistles', without any reference to 'Pauline epistles', nor even bother to take in to consideration that scholars tend to think some are genuine and some are not. Then there are the Dutch Radikalcritik scholars who seem to think that Paul is a mythic construct.

So...Which epistles are you talking about? Can you even pick out the 'genuine' ones?

Then...You do know about Marcion, right? You are familiar with the history of Marcion and his use of the Pauline epistles? (And, evidently, an ur-GLuke.) Right? So, you must know that the 'Pauline epistles', which we presently have possession of, are a reworking of the scriptures reclaimed from Marcion and his heretics, who had placed them at the core of their christian bible. So...we can expect that it has been considerably redacted and edited to fit proto-orthodox sensibilities. This took place around the third decade of the second century.

I don't have any problem with any of that in principle and yes I am familiar. I think there's a big difference between saying that it's difficult to say much that is reliable about a figure from ancient history and going all the way to believing that there was no actual figure at all. That, imo, is too high a bar for reasonable analysis to get over, in the circumstances of this figure and these sorts of cults in general, throughout world history. As I said, I consider myself to be close to agnostic on this, accepting of the possibility of ahistoricism, but quite convinced that overall there's just not enough to swing towards favouring no figure at all. I like taking positions that I can defend in discussions with people who take the opposing view and know their onions, using the same or similar rational standards as I try to use in other areas, and I do not feel this is one I personally can sufficiently defend without compromising in terms of consistency.

Marcion appears to have been a believer in Jesus and got the epistles from somewhere, fairly early on.

The distance-from-alleged-events timescales here are very short compared to many figures from ancient history (which is our arena here). There are many for which there were no texts for hundreds of years after they were believed to have existed, and many other figures from 1st C Judea (including a number of messianic prophets like this one and indeed many of the top brass rabbis and high priests) for which there is either less evidence or none at all.

Last edited:
There are exceptions as usual of course.

You are covering a lot of bases in that very succinct response, including your own arse. :)

If you mean by covering my own arse that I mentioned exceptions.....

First, yes, exceptions do show that alternatives are possible, but, the point I am making about exceptions is mainly to do with trying to calculate prior probabilities, particularly the way Carrier does (Prior probability is his Rule 1). In that endeavour, citing exceptions is of limited value and typical prior features are more relevant and carry more weight, or arguably should if they weren't being ignored.

Carrier's Rule 1: Ask yourself (honestly) how frequently is the kind of hypothesis you're proposing true in other cases? That's the prior probability.

Example A: How frequently do mythical characters have written attestation close to their alleged time of existence?

Example B: How frequently do/did new religious cults who say they had a leader, have a leader?

I hope you can start to see that the results of such calculations depend heavily on what data one chooses to input. I might even go so far as to say that this sort of endeavour is next to useless in terms of reliability in ancient history.

Last edited:
Marcion appears to have been a believer in Jesus and got the epistles from somewhere, fairly early on.

Yes. Appears is a good word. Defamers claim he was an overambitious social climber, a charlatan and a liar, but I suspect a lot of that is sectarian bias. I think the point is that 'believer' had a broader aspect as well. I'm not sure that Marcion believed in an historic Jesus, or a transcendent Pauline Jesus. I'm not quite clear on what Marcion believed about Jesus...but, he was heretical, for sure. There were, most certainly, those of docetic belief on the scene.

The distance-from-alleged-events timescales here are very short compared to many figures from ancient history (which is our arena here). There are many for which there were no texts for hundreds of years after they were believed to have existed, and many other figures from 1st C Judea (including a number of messianic prophets like this one and indeed many of the top brass rabbis and high priests) for which there is either less evidence or none at all.

Yes, it is very confused. I suspect all that attempting to establish and maintain an apostolic chain of authority had some negative effect in maintaining credible records.

Last edited:
I think the point is that 'believer' had a broader aspect as well. I'm not sure that Marcion believed in an historic Jesus, or a transcendent Pauline Jesus. I'm not quite clear on what Marcion believed about Jesus...but, he was heretical, for sure. There were, most certainly, those of docetic belief on the scene.

Fair enough, and I have read more than a few attempts to get Docetism to sound like mythicism, but am not nearly convinced. :)

Certainly, it seems that when the emerging establishment put the boot in Marcion, they did not seem to accuse him of anything like mythicism. At worst, they criticised him for saying Jesus only took on the appearance of a man while on earth, as far as I am aware.

ruby sparks...
the wiki article on Marcion says he rejected the bodily brith, death, resurrection
not sure how this relates to what Carrier has said in his assessment that Jesus was initially a celestial being later historicized
ruby sparks, you mentioned the Epistles mention a human bodied person
if you didn't say that then I misunderstood you
about the Epistles? which ones are you referring to, who wrote them, and what is the preferred date of origin? and what exactly do they say?

about the Epistles? which ones are you referring to, who wrote them, and what is the preferred date of origin? and what exactly do they say?

I'll give you an example. 1st Corinthians 15:21. "For since by a man death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead'. Greek Koine 'anthropou' (man) in both cases. Human mortality supposedly came about because of the sinful actions of one man (Adam) and we were supposedly freed from it by the redeeming actions of another (Jesus). It is arguably the only 'demonstration model' which makes sense if you are trying to persuade otherwise doubtful Jews (and indeed Gentiles) that they too can survive their death. Hence also references to a wooden cross and blood and Jesus having been a Jew himself, etc etc.

This usage of 'anthropou' for Jesus is consistent with the previous use in the same sentence, with other instances in the same letter, with other letters, in Christian texts generally, as well as in wider non-Christian and non-religious Koine Greek. In a nutshell, it's indisputably the word used for 'man'.

As to dates, I'd say early. Possibly mid 50's? That seems to be the generally accepted date, even by Carrier. As I said, even much later would still be early by the standards of ancient history, where late attestations are not unusual. As to who wrote it, I'd guess a bloke. Probably the same bloke who wrote a few other letters.

That Jesus was initially considered by the writer as a never-earthly entity 'killed' in an upper realm instead of ever having come to earth, even as some put it 'in the form of a man' (eg Docetism) is, I think, bordering on being a crank theory and a wild goose chase and not even in my opinion anywhere near the best alternative case by a long way. For example, I think that the theory that Jesus was, in fact, a rebel militant (as in Reza Aslan's variation on this theme) has more legs. In this theory, the Jesus of the NT is virtually unrecognisable, to the point that it could be said that the NT Jesus is largely ahistorical. Some versions suggest that another character, a rebel leader by the name of Judas of Galilee, mentioned by Josephus, was the real figure and that we have a case of mistaken identity (or a deliberate name switch). That said, I wouldn't support that theory all the way, but it's at least more plausible imo, which imo 'outer space' (as Carrier puts it) Jesus is not so much, in the final analysis, all things considered.

Personally, I think it is a pity that so many atheists have readily bought into outer space Jesus via Carrier, who I think bought into it via Doherty.

It also strikes me as slightly odd when someone says to me that the writer 'didn't literally mean a man'. It sounds for all the world exactly like what some theists often do when they pick and choose certain words which fit their prior conceptions and say that the same words are to be taken literally on some occasions but not others in the same text, or in this case the same sentence. I'm sorry, but the word is there and the usage is consistent. Deal with it sensibly, imo. :)

Incidentally, for those with a taste for debunking and unravelling mysteries, not to mention putting the boot into Christianity, the 'Jesus was the militant rebel Judas of Galilee' theories, or some versions of them, have interesting things to say about Paul, that he was a wheeler-dealer dastardly con-man by the real name of Saul of Tarsus (possibly involving another deliberate name switch) and a Herodian, who only got into Jesus to reinvent himself and turned up later in Judea in a position of some minor political importance (Josephus has a candidate Saul in Judea in the 60's). This may explain why even Acts of the Apostles doesn't describe Paul's demise.

Last edited:
It also strikes me as slightly odd when someone says to me that the writer 'didn't literally mean a man'. It sounds for all the world exactly like what some theists often do when they pick and choose certain words which fit their prior conceptions and say that the same words are to be taken literally on some occasions but not others in the same text, or in this case the same sentence. I'm sorry, but the word is there and the usage is consistent. Deal with it sensibly, imo. :)

And yet, there are shiploads of perfectly well-accepted scholars who will point out to you that at the very time we are discussing there were 'christians' who explictly stated that he "looked like a man" but that he was not corporeal. He was not a man, but looked like one. Doceticists. They were flipping everywhere. Evidence suggests that large numbers of 'christian' practitioners were gnostic in outlook and highly likely to believe in a non-corporeal christ. Marcion was one and he and his group scared the bejeebus out of the proto-orthodox, so much so, they launched an effort to regain control over the dogma.

So, I'd say that what you happen to think is odd is just your preconceived notions interfering with cogent thought. Which, I suppose, is odd.

And yet, there are shiploads of perfectly well-accepted scholars who will point out to you that at the very time we are discussing there were 'christians' who explictly stated that he "looked like a man" but that he was not corporeal. He was not a man, but looked like one. Doceticists. They were flipping everywhere. Evidence suggests that large numbers of 'christian' practitioners were gnostic in outlook and highly likely to believe in a non-corporeal christ. Marcion was one and he and his group scared the bejeebus out of the proto-orthodox, so much so, they launched an effort to regain control over the dogma.

So, I'd say that what you happen to think is odd is just your preconceived notions interfering with cogent thought. Which, I suppose, is odd.

I don't know why you say any of that to me though, because I have no real problem with Docetism and Gnosticism and have not said otherwise. In fact, just above, I included for it. If it's an entity that supposedly came to earth and merely looked like a man, and not an outer space entity that didn't come to earth at all, I can probably live with that. :)

There's no good reason to read the epistles as using the term 'man' for Jesus in any Docetic way though, imo. And even if there was, it wouldn't be Carrier's and Doherty's outer space Jesus.

Last edited:
Here, Gerd Ludemann warns readers in his Heretics: The Other Side of Early Christianity (Stuttgart,1996), about how Ignatius of Antioch spent much of his ecclesiastical career, at the turn of the first century in to the second, opposing docetic teachings in the early christian community...

Here it is often forgotten that Paul's christology sometimes verged on docetism. Nor are we to expect otherwise for the early period of Christianity in which Paul lived and worked. Here, what was later consolidated was still fluid, alive and open. On the one hand, according to Paul, the Son of God is 'born of woman' (Gal. 4.4), while on the other he assumed only the 'form of a servant' (Phil. 2.7), merely the 'likeness of a human being' (Phil. 2.7) or 'the flesh' (Rom. 8.3).

If we presuppose that the earliest parts of the Gospel of John derive from the beginning of the Johannine community, docetic features in it are unmistakable. (p.177)

Here, Gerd Ludemann warns readers in his Heretics: The Other Side of Early Christianity (Stuttgart,1996), about how Ignatius of Antioch spent much of his ecclesiastical career, at the turn of the first century in to the second, opposing docetic teachings in the early christian community...

Here it is often forgotten that Paul's christology sometimes verged on docetism. Nor are we to expect otherwise for the early period of Christianity in which Paul lived and worked. Here, what was later consolidated was still fluid, alive and open. On the one hand, according to Paul, the Son of God is 'born of woman' (Gal. 4.4), while on the other he assumed only the 'form of a servant' (Phil. 2.7), merely the 'likeness of a human being' (Phil. 2.7) or 'the flesh' (Rom. 8.3).

If we presuppose that the earliest parts of the Gospel of John derive from the beginning of the Johannine community, docetic features in it are unmistakable. (p.177)

Ok it may have some Docetic features. Fair point I think.

I'll give you an example. 1st Corinthians 15:21. "For since by a man death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead'. Greek Koine 'anthropou' (man) in both cases. Human mortality supposedly came about because of the sinful actions of one man (Adam) and we were supposedly freed from it by the redeeming actions of another (Jesus). It is arguably the only 'demonstration model' which makes sense if you are trying to persuade otherwise doubtful Jews (and indeed Gentiles) that they too can survive their death. Hence also references to a wooden cross and blood and Jesus having been a Jew himself, etc etc.

This usage of 'anthropou' for Jesus is consistent with the previous use in the same sentence, with other instances in the same letter, with other letters, in Christian texts generally, as well as in wider non-Christian and non-religious Koine Greek. In a nutshell, it's indisputably the word used for 'man'.

As to dates, I'd say early. Possibly mid 50's? That seems to be the generally accepted date, even by Carrier. As I said, even much later would still be early by the standards of ancient history, where late attestations are not unusual. As to who wrote it, I'd guess a bloke. Probably the same bloke who wrote a few other letters.

That Jesus was initially considered by the writer as a never-earthly entity 'killed' in an upper realm instead of ever having come to earth, even as some put it 'in the form of a man' (eg Docetism) is, I think, bordering on being a crank theory and a wild goose chase and not even in my opinion anywhere near the best alternative case by a long way. For example, I think that the theory that Jesus was, in fact, a rebel militant (as in Reza Aslan's variation on this theme) has more legs. In this theory, the Jesus of the NT is virtually unrecognisable, to the point that it could be said that the NT Jesus is largely ahistorical. Some versions suggest that another character, a rebel leader by the name of Judas of Galilee, mentioned by Josephus, was the real figure and that we have a case of mistaken identity (or a deliberate name switch). That said, I wouldn't support that theory all the way, but it's at least more plausible imo, which imo 'outer space' (as Carrier puts it) Jesus is not so much, in the final analysis, all things considered.

Personally, I think it is a pity that so many atheists have readily bought into outer space Jesus via Carrier, who I think bought into it via Doherty.

Incidentally, for those with a taste for debunking and unravelling mysteries, not to mention putting the boot into Christianity, the 'Jesus was the militant rebel Judas of Galilee' theories, or some versions of them, have interesting things to say about Paul, that he was a wheeler-dealer dastardly con-man by the real name of Saul of Tarsus (possibly involving another deliberate name switch) and a Herodian, who only got into Jesus to reinvent himself and turned up later in Judea in a position of some minor political importance (Josephus has a candidate Saul in Judea in the 60's). This may explain why even Acts of the Apostles doesn't describe Paul's demise.

I found this, where Richard carrier talks about "anthrôpos" found in Corinthians
Is it the same word you are using?
also note the bolded (mine)
https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/9710
Richard Carrier said:
1 Corinthians 15:21 fit with that? Is ἄνθρωπος
Here is where McGrath, once again, didn’t even check first, before making this claim. He is just arguing from the armchair again. And believing everything his mind just made up. It turns out the answer to his first question is “yes.” Celestial beings were indeed referred to as anthrôpos. In fact, they were so by Philo, the Jewish theologian who discusses the exact same Jewish angelology Paul is referencing here, of the two Adams, one heavenly and one of earth. But I’ll get to that below. For now, notice that McGrath has forgotten that Paul believed Jesus was a heavenly man before he acquired a body that could die (Philippians 2:6-7; 1 Corinthians 8:6; 1 Corinthians 10:4).

And, of course, Bart Ehrman's tome, The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effects of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament, (NYC, 1993), devotes an entire chapter (Ch.4) to "Anti-Docetic Corruptions of Scripture", which he begins with,

Although adoptionism could rightly claim the oldest pedigree among christological heresies, the representatives of docetism proved far more pestiferous for the second- and third-century defenders of orthodoxy. (p.181)

With the following footnote:

1. Like the adoptionists, docetists argued that their views were original to the faith. As we shall see, Marcion, in particular, made this claim an essential component of his program. (p.242)

So, Ehrman expended sixty pages to address the corruption of scriptures undertaken by proto-orthodox scribes to counter docetic 'misinterpretations' of the then existing scripture. A quarter of his book is dedicated to this; I'd guess that belief that Jesus never existed as a corporeal, and thus historical, entity was pretty frippen important to a whole huge shipload of people who believed in Jesus.

I don't agree with Ehrman on several things, but I accept his interpretation on this topic, as he seems to have put a great deal of trained scholastic thought and energy in to it.

Last edited:
Richard Carrier said:
1 Corinthians 15:21 fit with that? Is ἄνθρωπος
Here is where McGrath, once again, didn’t even check first, before making this claim. He is just arguing from the armchair again. And believing everything his mind just made up. It turns out the answer to his first question is “yes.” Celestial beings were indeed referred to as anthrôpos. In fact, they were so by Philo, the Jewish theologian who discusses the exact same Jewish angelology Paul is referencing here, of the two Adams, one heavenly and one of earth. But I’ll get to that below. For now, notice that McGrath has forgotten that Paul believed Jesus was a heavenly man before he acquired a body that could die (Philippians 2:6-7; 1 Corinthians 8:6; 1 Corinthians 10:4).

I would like to see a similar usage by philo of the word anthropos. I haven't seen it. I'm aware of his use of the phrase heavenly man, but that's different, I believe.

I'm not sure why you bolded the bits you bolded? They appear to say that the writer of the epistles thought Jesus acquired a body that could die, and Carrier citing this.

None of this is surprising. Some sort of heavenly pre-existence thing.

Last edited:
Carrier is basically saying that the Paul/Saul/fictional character believed Christ was celestial being prior to any incantation of fleshly or human derivative...
that despite the usage of terms describing Jesus as fleshly or humanly the Paul/Saul/fictional character understood Christ to be a celestial being
not sure why you would have trouble understanding his comment, my comment is not his comment so I don't want to go on for pages about what I said as some type of deflection
if you can't understand what he said, that is too bad; I would rather invest time discussing what he said but you fail to understand so maybe we are at an impasse
there might be more information about Philo if you follow the link, there is

Oh I get it. Carrier thinks that Jesus was described as given a mortal body, and born a jew, of a woman, and crucified on a wooden cross, and bled, but that the writer believed this didn't happen on earth.

Oh I get it. Carrier thinks that Jesus was given a mortal body, and born a jew, of a woman, and crucified on a wooden cross, and bled, but that the writer believed this didn't happen on earth.

the writer? you have intimate knowledge of the writer?
he is saying that there are entries in the texts that describe a celestial being existing before a fleshly incantation, and if you read the references you will understand that

- - - Updated - - -

here https://www.bible.com/bible/59/PHP.2.6-7.esv

So it's not what I said? That Carrier thinks that Jesus was described as given a mortal body, and born a jew, of a woman, and crucified on a wooden cross, and bled, and died, and was buried, but that the writer believed this didn't happen on earth?

So it's not what I said? That Carrier thinks that Jesus was described as given a mortal body, and born a jew, of a woman, and crucified on a wooden cross, and bled, but that the writer believed this didn't happen on earth?
I don't know what the writer believed, it is a little pretentious that you would opine what the writer believed.
If you stick to what was written we might have a decent conversation,.
From what I can tell Carrier says plainly that Christ was described as a celestial being that was historicized.

the word Carrier uses is euhemerized
what do we know of the authors? not much other than what they wrote
I am skeptical that a Paul/Saul existed, seems plausible that the character was an invention for the purposes of deniability for a story that accuses the satus quo of injustice

Back
Top Bottom