• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RIP Cassini

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
This morning, the Cassini space probe is being sent on its final voyage into the atmosphere of Saturn to burn up.
Cassini: Saturn probe heads towards destruction
Official JPL site

Cassini was able to capture many amazing photos of Saturn, its moons and its rings. It also had other scientific instruments for capturing less photogenic data. And there was a smaller, European probe, named Huygens which landed on Titan and gave us a lot of information about that weird world. Among amazing things Cassini itself discovered were geysers on the moon Enceladus.
Here are some of Cassini photos, courtesy of NY Times.
Cassini’s Mission to Saturn in 100 Images
aurora-PIA11396-900.jpg

Saturn's hexagonal version of the jet stream (in infrared).
daphnis-PIA17212-900.jpg

Daphnis, one of the moons, leaving a ripple behind.

Cassini was launched in 1997, 2 decades ago, not without controversy, and reached the Saturn system in 2004, 13 years ago. To put that into perspective, it was launched before Monica Lewinski became a household name and the Internet was something you connected through a landline, and orbited around Saturn since before John Kerry lost his election or YouTube was launched.
Cassini used the technique of gaining momentum through careful flybys of planets, robbing them of an infinitesimal amount of momentum/energy in order to propel itself forward.
This is the flight path of the probe.
1776_Cassini_interplanet_trajectory.png

As you can see, Earth itself was used for one of these flyby maneuvers.

The controversy stemmed from the fact that Cassini carried some 23 kg (50lbs) of highly radioactive Pu-238 in its 3 RTGs (radioisiotope thermoelectric generators) that use radioactive heat (Pu-238 has a half-life of 87 years and thus high specific activity) to provide electricity for on-board instruments and radio communications (as well as small units to heat the instruments). It's the same thing that Mark Whatley dug up in "The Martian". Saturn is so far away (9-10 AUs, meaning about 1% of sunlight we get here at 1 AU) that solar power would be impractical even using today's technology, much less that available in the 90s. There even were protests and petitions, even in http://www.taz.de/Archiv-Suche/!1378918&s=&SuchRahmen=Print/"]Europe[/URL], despite the fact that RTGs were used successfully for decades.

Sad to see this mission end. So long and thanks for the science, Cassini!

Cassini used the technique of gaining momentum through careful flybys of planets, robbing them of an infinitesimal amount of momentum/energy in order to propel itself forward.
As you can see, Earth itself was used for one of these flyby maneuvers.
Thereby moving Earth just a little closer to the sun. Cassini's last gift to mankind: a proof of anthropogenic global warming that even a climate change denialist can understand. :devil:

Cassini Probe Realizes Too Late This Was A Setup All Along

"Breaking apart as it plunged through the heat and crushing pressure of the planet’s atmosphere, sources said Friday that the Cassini probe realized far too late that its entire 20-year mission to Saturn had been a setup all along. “Those assholes!” the spacecraft reportedly screamed, now fully aware that the “backstabbing fucks” at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory had directed it to plummet toward the planet at 77,000 mph to disintegrate. “They told me we’d meet up to refuel at a rendezvous point out near Alpha Centauri A—I’m such an idiot! They were just using me this whole time for my cosmic dust analysis and magnetosphere imaging. I mean, I delivered the Huygens probe to Titan for you, you bastards! You lying scientist bastards!” At press time, communications from Cassini had gone totally silent, prompting everyone at mission control to burst into applause."

:D

First off, that's hilarious, Elixir!

But what I really wanted to share was Cassini's last image:
cassinilastimage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom