• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roe v Wade is on deck

Guy Branum on Twitter: "And @AOC's articulated plan is great, but ALL of it rests on being able to repeal the Hyde amendment, which forbids using federal money for abortions. They MUST get rid of that." / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Actually that’s not quite true! ..." / Twitter
Actually that’s not quite true! Hyde amdt prevents Fed gov from financing a clinic itself, but does NOT necessarily prevent the Fed gov from leasing land to an independent clinic.

This is why we shouldn’t dismiss ideas out of hand, but try to thoroughly explore + investigate.

Believe it or not, we do our research! 😉

Are there other questions to raise? Sure! But we believe it’s worth seriously exploring rather than dismissing out of hand. Many statutes have openings.
She's commendably diligent.

President Biden must be noticing all the pressure to do something.
President Biden on Twitter: "We have to codify Roe v. Wade into law.
And as I said this morning: If the filibuster gets in the way, then we need to make an exception to get it done." / Twitter

then
Ayanna Pressley on Twitter: "That's right.
Now let's use the full weight of the Presidency to get this done." / Twitter

Let's see if Joe Biden can demonstrate any forcefulness. If he can't, then he ought to go into semi-retirement and have his Vice President do it for him. Kamala Harris is in good enough health to dance, so she might be able to pull that off.

Alejandro Alvarez on Twitter: "Abortion rights supporters ..." / Twitter
Abortion rights supporters are risking arrest on Capitol Hill, sitting-in en masse at the intersection of First and Constitution. “We have nothing to lose, we have everything to gain, we must win,” they sing, with police beginning to encircle them.

Traffic stopped. Arrest warnings made. Cops walking protesters out of the area one or two at a time, crowd erupting in cheers whenever someone is led away. First major civil disobedience action near the Supreme Court in the week since Roe was overturned.

Arrests continue. I’d guess crowd that stayed to risk arrest numbered around a hundred, about half are left, chanting “we won’t back down” and “abortion is a human right” outside Senate office buildings. Super hot on the pavement.

The Rev. William Barber II, who led thousands with the Poor People's Campaign in a Pennsylvania Avenue rally earlier this month, joins the sit-in. "We won't back down: Every city, every town, every street," he says, moments before he's led away by police.

Last of the arrests. Protesting the end of Roe, one block over from the court.

A few photos. Rep. Judy Chu also joining the abortion rights sit-in today.
They weren't exactly shouting "Hang Sam Alito! Hang Sam Alito!" as far as I could find out about this event.

A candidate also joined that rally, Melanie D'Arrigo, running for NY-03.

Melanie D'Arrigo for NY03 on Twitter: "We are not helpless
1⃣ #EndTheFilibuster
2⃣ Codify Roe
3⃣ Unrig and #ExpandTheCourt
4⃣ Repeal Hyde
5⃣ Ratify the E.R.A.
📝 Sign our petition. (link)
🗳 Don’t “vote harder.” Vote smarter. Primaries matter.
âŹ‡ïž (vid link)" / Twitter

ERA = Equal Rights Amendment

Melanie D'Arrigo for NY03 on Twitter: "Civil disobedience is a right.
It is patriotic.
And when our institutions fail us, civil disobedience is necessary.
We have to stay strong, stay united and use our collective power to force the change we need.
We are no longer asking for our equality. We are demanding it. (vid link)" / Twitter

Melanie D'Arrigo for NY03 on Twitter: "BREAKING: Melanie D’Arrigo arrested for civil disobedience in front of the Supreme Court, in protest of its radical ruling overturning Roe v. Wade. Campaign statement to follow. (vid link)" / Twitter

Melanie D'Arrigo for NY03 on Twitter: "STATEMENT FROM MELANIE D’ARRIGO ..." / Twitter
STATEMENT FROM MELANIE D’ARRIGO AFTER HER RELEASE FROM POLICE CUSTODY FOR PROTESTING THE SUPREME COURT đŸ§”âŹ‡ïž

Today, I and a thousand others were arrested for protesting the Supreme Court’s cruel and capricious decision to strip us of our bodily autonomy and our right to privacy. âŹ‡ïž

I was let go after a couple of hours—but for millions of people in states where abortion, a critical health procedure, is now criminalized, their arrests will be far longer and far more severe. âŹ‡ïž

That is not justice. This is not freedom, but tyranny over our bodies. What the Supreme Court did with their radical, partisan decision in Dobbs v. Jackson disgraces the motto hanging over their heads every day they practice: âŹ‡ïž

“Equal Justice Under Law,” — and it underscores the need to elect better Democrats, not the status quo that got us here. âŹ‡ïž

I want to be clear: None of us are free until all of us are free. When we can’t rely on our institutions to protect us, we have to protect each other. We keep each other safe—and we will demand what we deserve until we get it. /đŸ§”
I like her slogan "Elect better Democrats". She's right about getting involved in the primaries. That's where a lot of important contests take place.

Christine for Congress on Twitter: "Today was a powerful day for the human rights movement. Hundreds of protesters, including candidates @Cindy_Banyai_FL and @DarrigoMelanie, put their freedom on the line for this fight. This is far from over. WE WILL WIN! (pix link)" / Twitter
Christine Olivo for FL-26, Cindi Banyai for FL-19

Supreme Court Protesters Arrested En Masse - "Worried the Democratic establishment is failing heed the urgency of the moment, a once-pacified left faces down arrests to send a message."
Within a few hours, nearly 200 abortion activists had been arrested and forcibly removed from the crossing at First Street and Constitution Avenue in Washington, D.C. — a busy intersection near the court’s sprawling front steps. While sit-ins are a relatively common occurrence in Washington, organizers hope the size of the demonstration, and the broad coalition of organizations that supported the protest, inaugurates a renewed push for nonviolent civil disobedience in the wake of the Supreme Court’s gutting of abortion rights last week.

The attendance of one organization in particular, Planned Parenthood Action, raised eyebrows. Unlike fellow supporting organizations like the Working Families Party, Planned Parenthood had never engaged in as urgent a form of direct action before Thursday.

The tactics represent a departure from what has defined many left-wing activist groups for most of Biden’s tenure. Despite the president’s sagging approval, many progressive leaders and legislators have chosen to stand by his administration — or at least mute their criticisms — in exchange for increased access and a louder voice in the policy-making process. The administration’s failure to prepare a road map for a post-Roe America, however, appears to have soured that relationship.

Sawyer Hackett on Twitter: "Since taking office, Kyrsten Sinema has voted twice for measures with filibuster carve-outs—to raise the debt ceiling and confirm a Supreme Court justice.
Why wouldn’t she do it to pass the bill to codify Roe—a bill she cosponsors?" / Twitter

Joe Manchin has been saying lately that he might be willing to support codifying RvW, but KS is another story.

U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 117th Congress - 2nd Session -- On Cloture on the Motion to Proceed (Motion to Invoke Cloture: Motion to Proceed to H.R. 3755. )
The cloture vote failed on partisan lines, with JM being the only democrat who voted against it.

The bill itself: H.R.3755 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Women's Health Protection Act of 2021 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

KS herself has a very good record on reproductive rights: Kyrsten Sinema - NARAL Pro-Choice America -- very close to 100%.

Sinema kills plan to codify abortion rights — then fundraises on protecting women’s health care | Salon.com
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., on Thursday sent out a fundraising email touting her work to protect women's health care after shooting down President Joe Biden's proposal to codify abortion rights.

The plan was quickly shot down by Sinema and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., who have opposed scrapping the filibuster. Sinema's office told CNN that the senator is "still opposed to gutting the filibuster on any topic including on reproductive rights."

"Throughout my time in Congress, I've always supported women's access to health care, and I'll continue working with anyone to protect women's ability to make decisions about their futures," she said in a statement that noted she has "repeatedly voted in favor of protecting women's right to choose and is a cosponsor of the Women's Health Protection Act."

John LaBombard, Sinema's former spokesman, dismissed criticism of the senator, describing a filibuster carveout to protect abortion rights as a "progressive purity test."

Sinema last year wrote a Washington Post op-ed arguing that Democrats "have more to lose than gain by ending the filibuster."

"To those who want to eliminate the legislative filibuster to expand health-care access," she wrote, "Would it be good for our country if we did, only to later see that legislation replaced by legislation
 defunding women's reproductive health services?"
As if the Republicans will let themselves be obstructed by the Democrats filibustering them.

If I thought I was gestating a Gucci bag or a kitten, I hope my loved ones would seek out emergency mental health treatment for me immediately. If I were actually pregnant and believed I was gestating a kitten or a Gucci bag, I would hope the pregnancy would be terminated. I would obviously require medical /psychiatric treatment incompatible with gestating a pregnancy without causing grave harm to any fetus.
Nah, you're just a cat with delusions of humanity, you'll gestate a kitten just fine! :) You're a lot closer to reality than typical cats that have delusions of godhood!

I went to Congressional Record - NARAL Pro-Choice America Most Democratic Congresspeople got some large number, usually 100%, and most Republican ones got some small number, usually 0%.

Jeremy Gong on Twitter: "Abortion rights protesters in NYC blocking rich guests from getting into a dinner hosted by the right wing Federalist Society, who supported SCOTUS justices’ attack on abortion
Organized by @nycforabortion @nycDSA (vid link)" / Twitter

Why don't they go to some place like rural Mississippi? According to their ideology, the people there will worship the ground that they walk on.

If I thought I was gestating a Gucci bag or a kitten, I hope my loved ones would seek out emergency mental health treatment for me immediately. If I were actually pregnant and believed I was gestating a kitten or a Gucci bag, I would hope the pregnancy would be terminated. I would obviously require medical /psychiatric treatment incompatible with gestating a pregnancy without causing grave harm to any fetus.
Nah, you're just a cat with delusions of humanity, you'll gestate a kitten just fine! :) You're a lot closer to reality than typical cats that have delusions of godhood!
Quit projecting. We all know you are the cat here and it is most certainly not me because I am a bunny TYVM.

Ex-cat, maybe...

I went to Congressional Record - NARAL Pro-Choice America Most Democratic Congresspeople got some large number, usually 100%, and most Republican ones got some small number, usually 0%.

Jeremy Gong on Twitter: "Abortion rights protesters in NYC blocking rich guests from getting into a dinner hosted by the right wing Federalist Society, who supported SCOTUS justices’ attack on abortion
Why don't they go to some place like rural Mississippi? According to their ideology, the people there will worship the ground that they walk on.
These judges were picked by the Federalist Society and trained by them on how to answer abortion questions during their review hearings. So, duh.

You still have not addressed my criticism that you extended the term "birth control" to include abortion,
Abortion is a form of birth control.
Why else would anyone do it?
If someone thought that they were gestating a kitten, or a Gucci handbag, there wouldn't be any elective abortion.

Lots of feticide is self defense. Medical issues that can't be addressed any other way. My mom would have died years before I was born had surgical treatment for her ectopic pregnancy been unavailable. I'm alive because of abortion.

Abortion was a form of birth control she desperately needed. But not all abortion is like that. Mine(ours) wasn't. We relied on really bad birth control methods, "rubbers when you need them, rhythm method the other two weeks a month".

Bad bad choice.

"Ya know what you call people who use the rhythm method?

Parents."

Tom

You never had an abortion. You could not possibly ever have or have had an abortion because you are cis male and have neither uterus nor ovaries, both of which are necessary to become pregnant.

Unless there is a different time you are referring to, your former girlfriend also did not have an abortion. You two thought she was pregnant, and you talked about having an abortion. But either she was not actually pregnant or she miscarried very early in a pregnancy.

Now, you may feel very guilty for being careless or even for being sexually active without being married. Or whatever closeted gay catholic boys feel guilty about. You may feel guilty because you talked about and maybe investigated and planned to procure an abortion—which, btw, would have required, at the very least, a positive pregnancy test.

But you did not have an abortion. And your girlfriend did not have an abortion.

Your mother’s abortion was not birth control. It was a necessary medical procedure to save her life. It was impossible for a baby to have resulted from that ectopic pregnancy.

There are many reasons girls and women seek abortions. Their reasons are their reasons and not my business. They may have been raped. They may be in an abusive situation. Their housing or employment or educational situation may be precarious. Or they may just not want to have a baby—at that time or maybe never. They may be reaching a different decision than I would but it’s not my decision. And it’s not yours either.
Speaking of gestating kittens, I'm not sure if you like weird shit, but I loved Brand New Cherry Flavor.

These judges were picked by the Federalist Society and trained by them on how to answer abortion questions during their review hearings. So, duh.
Yes, and these are people who like to say "Love it or leave it".

Senator Lindsey Graham portrays his side as the victim here:
Lindsey Graham on Twitter: "There is an assault on democracy in this country ..." / Twitter
There is an assault on democracy in this country, but it is by the Left not the Right.

It took us 50 years to overturn Roe vs Wade. We worked hard, won elections, and put conservatives on the court.

5 days after losing at Supreme Court, Democrats want to blow up the Senate!

These people are crazy.

They want to pack the Supreme Court.

They want to abolish the Electoral College so New York and California can pick the president.

They want to federalize all elections so they can ballot-harvest and do away with voter I.D.

I'm hoping people in America are watching what they're planning to do if Republicans don't take back the Senate.
Right-wing hysterics are such a sight to see.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "You sound insecure. As you should be.
Your attempt to seize bodily autonomy from millions of women & LGBT+ people is a stain on our country.
I don’t care how long you “worked” to seize control of people’s bodies. That right belongs to individuals, not you.
We will not comply." / Twitter

Ayanna Pressley on Twitter: "It’s still
- Codify Roe v. Wade
- Abolish the filibuster
- Expand the Court" / Twitter

AOC is not alone. Rep. Cori Bush goes into detail:
Cori Bush on Instagram: “We are powerful beyond belief. That’s why after Roe v. Wade was overturned, we put together this Reproductive Justice Action Plan and Support hub. You can still access the care you need, and help us make lasting change.

Here’s our action plan.”

• End the filibuster & codify Roe
  • Expand the Court and enact term limits
  • Declare a national public health emergency
  • Repeal the Hyde Amendment
  • Protect access to medication abortion
  • Federally-fund travel, childcare, & lodging for out of state abortion care
  • Protect family planning services
  • Explore the use of federal land & property for abortion care services
  • Pass the Black Maternal Health Momnibus Act
  • Safeguard data privacy rights
  • Block misleading advertising from crisis pregnancy centers
  • Fund comprehensive sex ed
  • Abolish the electoral college
  • Codify fundamental rights
  • Strip the Court of its power to invalidate federal laws affirming our rights
  • Pass my People's Response Act and ensure abortion care isn't criminalized
  • Transform our broken children welfare system
  • Enact Medicare For All to guarantee access to abortion care
  • Raise the federal minimum wage to at least $15 and pass national paid leave, universal preschool, fully fund public schools, & guaranteed housing for all
  • Vote for sexual & reproductive rights champions
THIS IS HOW WE WIN.

Call your Senators, Representative, and the White House and demand that they do everything possible to protect abortion rights & reproductive freedom.

Over the decades, the Democratic Party failed to codify Roe vs. Wade into law.

Barack Obama Says Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade Decision Is an Attack on ‘The Essential Freedoms of Millions of Americans’ - '“For more than a month, we’ve known this day was coming, but that doesn’t make it any less devastating,” the former president said'

But over a decade ago, he failed to take action that might have averted this disaster.

On Abortion, Obama Is Drawn Into Debate He Had Hoped to Avoid - The New York Times - 2009 May 15
But even as Mr. Obama has delighted abortion rights advocates, he has dialed back some earlier ambitions. In 2007, he promised Planned Parenthood that “the first thing I’d do as president” would be to sign the Freedom of Choice Act, which effectively codifies Roe v. Wade. Now he says the bill is “not my highest legislative priority,” as he put it at a recent news conference.
Obama: Freedom of Choice Act "Not Highest Legislative Priority" - Our Bodies Ourselves
In a speech Obama gave to Planned Parenthood Action Fund on July 17, 2007, the then-presidential candidate said, “The first thing I’d do as president is sign the Freedom of Choice Act.” He referenced it again in 2008, on the 35th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

Of course, Congress first would have to pass FOCA. And to do that, the bill would have to be introduced. As Amy Sullivan explained earlier this year, there’s little chance of that happening anytime soon — but that reality hasn’t stopped anti-choice crusaders from making its defeat one of their top legislative priorities.

Nancy Pelosi has not always been very good on abortion.

2016 Jan 13:
NARAL dings Nancy Pelosi abortion rhetoric - POLITICO
Pelosi: I’m Not for Abortion on Demand - Roll Call

POLITICO's summary:
“I don’t believe in abortion on demand,” Pelosi said in an interview with Roll Call. “I sometimes wonder if the Republican men who are here even know what’s going on in their own families, because the fact is that contraception and birth control is something that is used — I don’t believe that abortion is a form of birth control or contraception — and if you want to diminish the number of abortions in our country, you should love contraception, but they don’t.”

NARAL said in a statement that Pelosi’s remarks are “particularly disappointing and ill-advised” and fall “well short” of its standards.

“The Leader should stop using twisted GOP talking points about abortion and birth control,” NARAL senior vice president for campaigns and strategy Sasha Bruce said. “We don’t know women who demand abortion or use abortion as birth control. We do know women who make thoughtful decisions about how and if they want to start a family, and who need access to all reproductive-health care services, including abortion. We’re confident the Leader does too, which makes her comments all the more troubling.”

2017 May 3:
Democrat Nancy Pelosi Abortion Is Fading As An Issue - refinery29.com
and
Pelosi: Don't kick out anti-abortion Dems from party | CNN Politics
noting
Pelosi: Democratic candidates should not be forced to toe party line on abortion - The Washington Post

From refinery29.com
When it comes to reproductive rights, the Democratic Party is known for being pro-choice and advocating for women. But, in an interview with The Washington Post Tuesday, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said abortion is "fading as an issue" and Democrats should welcome anti-choice candidates into the party.

The top female Democrat in Congress believes her party needs to include people with more conservative social views in order to take back the White House and Congress in the future. "This is the Democratic Party. This is not a rubber-stamp party," she told The Post. "I grew up Nancy D’Alesandro, in Baltimore Maryland; in Little Italy; in a very devout Catholic family; fiercely patriotic; proud of our town and heritage, and staunchly Democratic."

She added, "Most of those people — my family, extended family — are not pro-choice. You think I’m kicking them out of the Democratic Party?"

Joe Biden has also not been very good on abortion over much of his career.

From NBC:
As a U.S. senator from Delaware, Biden voted against a 1977 compromise that allowed Medicaid to fund abortions that included exceptions for victims of rape and incest in addition to concerns for the life of the mother. While the rape and incest exceptions passed in that case, Biden voted in 1981 to again remove them, in what was the most far-reaching ban on federal funds ever enacted by Congress.

Biden also voted several times, including in 1983, to prohibit federal workers from using health insurance on abortion services, with the only exception being to save the life of the mother.
So he wanted a sort of super  Hyde Amendment, one without exceptions for anything. That amendment dates back to 1976, 3 years after RvW, and it has been included in budget bills ever since.

From the NYT, about a Constitutional amendment that would have allowed states to reject Roe vs. Wade,
The amendment — which the National Abortion Rights Action League called “the most devastating attack yet on abortion rights” — cleared a key hurdle in the Senate Judiciary Committee in March 1982. Support came not only from Republicans but from a 39-year-old, second-term Democrat: Joseph R. Biden Jr.

“I’m probably a victim, or a product, however you want to phrase it, of my background,” Mr. Biden, a Roman Catholic, said at the time. The decision, he said, was “the single most difficult vote I’ve cast as a U.S. senator.”

The bill never made it to the full Senate, and when it came back up the following year, Mr. Biden voted against it. His back-and-forth over abortion would become a hallmark of his political career.
Like this:
Mr. Biden entered the Senate in 1973 as a 30-year-old practicing Catholic who soon concluded that the Supreme Court went “too far” on abortion rights in the Roe case. He told an interviewer the following year that a woman shouldn’t have the “sole right to say what should happen to her body.” By the time he left the vice president’s mansion in early 2017, he was a 74-year-old who argued a far different view: that government doesn’t have “a right to tell other people that women, they can’t control their body,” as he put it in 2012.

"In interviews during his first decades in the Senate, Mr. Biden said he supported the right to an abortion but opposed federal funding to pay for it." voting against efforts to do so, like having Federal-employee healthcare plans cover abortion.

n 1981, he crafted the Biden amendment to ban the use of foreign aid for biomedical research related to abortion. ...

In 1984, Mr. Biden supported an amendment praising the Reagan administration’s “Mexico City policy,” which banned federal funding for organizations around the world that provide abortion counseling or referrals. In 2005, he voted against it, supporting an amendment that would have nullified President George W. Bush’s reinstatement of the policy.
Both supporters and opponents of abortion called him "erratic" and "unreliable".

Back to NBC:

Of the 2020 Democratic candidates for President, the four female Senators, Kamala Harris of CA, Kirsten Gillibrand of NA, Amy Klobuchar of MN, and Elizabeth Warren of MA, all cosponsored legislation to revoke the Hyde Amendment, and no candidate other than Joe Biden supported it.
amal Brown, Biden's press secretary, said the candidate’s evolution on the issue is well documented. Biden, who said he thought Roe was wrongly decided when he arrived in the Senate in 1973, now “firmly believes that Roe v. Wade is the law of the land and should not be overturned,” Brown said. He added that Biden “has fought vigorously to protect a woman's right to choose and against measures criminalizing abortion. As chairman of the Judiciary Committee, he blocked the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Robert Bork and he opposed anti-choice justices Roberts, Alito and Thomas.”

Known pro-life republicans who got abortions for their spouse/mistress...

Elliot Broidy
Scott Lloyd
Tim Murphy
Scott DesJarlais*
Mark Robinson

*SDJ is particularly egregious, two for his wife and one for his mistress.

I learned of this issue when someone complained that AOC's posts dropped from their Instagram feed. It turned out to be a more general issue.

What Facebook and Instagram's restricting abortion pills posts so fast should tell us - "It's time for us to stop relying on popular social media platforms to keep us informed."
To address this, we all need to turn to reliable mainstream media outlets more often, where we can’t help but see important stories on the front cover or the homepage. We also need new nonprofit social networks that focus on empowering users with their moderation decisions and not on generating profits.
noting
Instagram restricts some abortion resource posts and hashtags - "NBC News found that searches for two terms and hashtags related to abortion pills returned almost no new posts, indicating that the company is limiting what users can see."
Dave Arnold, a public affairs director at Instagram’s parent company, Meta, referred NBC News to a tweet from Meta communications director Andy Stone, which pointed to the company’s “regulated goods” policy. Stone wrote: “Content that attempts to buy, sell, trade, gift, request or donate pharmaceuticals is not allowed. Content that discusses the affordability and accessibility of prescription medication is allowed. We’ve discovered some instances of incorrect enforcement and are correcting these.”

Later on Monday, after this article was originally published, Instagram unblocked the “abortion pills” and “mifepristone” hashtags.

Tech news website Motherboard reported Monday that Facebook, another Meta-owned platform, is also restricting certain posts about abortion pills and resources.

Meta has previously faced criticism for how it’s handled abortion pill resource content. In August, days before Texas’ six-week abortion ban was scheduled to go into effect, Instagram suspended the account for Plan C, which provides information about abortion pills. Plan C’s account access was eventually restored.

In May, following the leaked Supreme Court draft of the decision that would repeal Roe v. Wade, Instagram suspended the account for Aid Access, a group that connects individuals with telehealth providers of abortion pills. The account was eventually restored, and Meta said in a statement to Mother Jones that the removal was a mistake
noting
Facebook Is Banning People Who Say They Will Mail Abortion Pills - "A Facebook user and Motherboard both faced consequences for posting about mailing abortion pills on Facebook on the same day the Supreme Court overturned protections offered by Roe v. Wade."

So much for Big Tech being left-wing ogres, what some right-wingers seem to believe.

That is the problem in a nutshell. This is a court whose majority is a creature of the right wing Federalist Society, which has been planning this takeover for a long time now. Trump didn't succeed with his coup, but the Federalist Society succeeded with theirs. They can achieve their legislative goals by simply creatively redefining what the Constitution means. It is time to scale back the power of the Supreme Court so that it has effective checks on its power--no more lifetime appointments and an expanded number of justices to make it more likely to avoid capture by a small number of ideology-driven extremists.

Also,
How will abortion content be censored on Facebook and Instagram?
Facebook and Instagram have started taking down abortion pill posts since the fall of Roe

How far will social-media companies go to limit abortion content?

Bridget Todd, communications director at the feminist group UltraViolet, said that her group met with Facebook representatives after a draft of the Supreme Court’s recent abortion ruling leaked last month. UltraViolet was concerned about how Facebook would moderate abortion content, particularly medical misinformation about abortion and abortion pills. Grid reviewed pages of this content, which included posts that said medical abortion was never safe and that it led to a 500 percent increase in ER visits, among other false claims.

“In the meetings, [Facebook representatives] say all the right things, all the things you would want them to say, but we’re still sort of waiting for the actual progress,” said Todd.

Meanwhile, the reports that Facebook and other social platforms are taking down some abortion-related posts raises a key issue: what gets labeled as accurate information or not and how social platforms intend to address it.

Instagram and Facebook remove posts offering abortion pills : NPR

Are Facebook and Instagram Censoring Abortion Posts?
On Monday, Facebook users started noticing that posts stating that abortion pills can be mailed were being taken down within minutes of being published. Some users got messages from Facebook saying the posts violated their community standards on “buying, selling, or exchanging medical or non-medical drugs” — a clause that didn’t seem to apply to painkillers when a Vice reporter tested it out. Another reporter tried posting an offer to mail abortion pills and was informed they’d violated Facebook’s standards on selling “guns, animals, and other regulated goods.” Yet the app didn’t seem to have an issue when the reporter swapped in the words “weed” or — more tellingly — “gun.”

A Meta spokesperson clarified on Twitter that “content that attempts to buy, sell, trade, gift, request or donate pharmaceuticals” violates Facebook’s policy, but noted that addressing the “affordability and accessibility of prescription medication” is allowed. The post concluded, “We’ve discovered some instances of incorrect enforcement and are correcting these.”

Meanwhile, a similar issue had already emerged on Instagram. Multiple users who posted following the Dobbs ruling offering to order abortion pills for others or host people traveling for a procedure say their posts were promptly taken down for violating community guidelines. Abortion Finder, a comprehensive database that connects users with verified abortion providers throughout the U.S., noted that their Instagram account had been suspended for a few hours Sunday morning, with the app claiming that the account “doesn’t follow our community guidelines on guns, animals, and other regulated goods.” On Monday, posts with the hashtags #abortionpills and #mifepristone (a common abortion medication) briefly appeared to be blocked, with Instagram notifying users that recent posts with those tags were “hidden because some posts may not follow Instagram’s Community Guidelines.” By Monday afternoon, the hashtags were unblocked. On Tuesday, an Instagram user found that a job listing from the nonprofit Women on Web, a Canadian nonprofit self-managed abortion provider that conducts online consultations and mails abortion medication to countries around the world, was also hidden.
"Instagram has restricted posts about abortion pills in the past."
and
"Instagram also appeared to be marking a wide range of abortion-rights posts as sensitive content."

Back
Top Bottom