• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roe v Wade is on deck

Ftr, the woman is not a “mother” until she gives birth to a baby. She is a pregnant woman. Calling her a mother drives her into a category she has not consented to occupy.

Point taken but the given position is that a girl or a woman is mother to the fetus in biological terms. She may or may not have consented to be pregnant in the first place or to continue the pregnancy to any particular point. That does not change the biological relationship to the fetus.

Biologically speaking, there is zero difference between an unwanted fetus and one which is wanted by the person carrying the pregnancy.

When I had my first miscarriage, I was not thereafter “a mother.” When I had my second miscarriage, I was not then a “mother of two”. When my son was born, I became a mother. Prior to that, I was a pregnant woman. I am not now a “mother of six,” I am a mother of two.

Ftr, the woman is not a “mother” until she gives birth to a baby. She is a pregnant woman. Calling her a mother drives her into a category she has not consented to occupy.

Point taken but the given position is that a girl or a woman is mother to the fetus in biological terms. She may or may not have consented to be pregnant in the first place or to continue the pregnancy to any particular point. That does not change the biological relationship to the fetus.

Biologically speaking, there is zero difference between an unwanted fetus and one which is wanted by the person carrying the pregnancy.

When I had my first miscarriage, I was not thereafter “a mother.” When I had my second miscarriage, I was not then a “mother of two”. When my son was born, I became a mother. Prior to that, I was a pregnant woman. I am not now a “mother of six,” I am a mother of two.

I was referring only to the relationship to the fetus. It is not: parasite: host. It is fetus: mother. If the fetus does not result in a live birth, the woman is not a mother to the fetus.

I was speaking only in biological terms about the relationship between the fetus and the woman carrying the fetus. It bothers me greatly when people misuse terms to describe stages of pregnancy or refer to the fetus as a parasite because of my background.

I am very sorry if I caused you any pain. I also lost a pregnancy, very early on in the pregnancy. It's an extremely painful loss.

A new born baby is just as parasitically reliant as an unborn baby in terms of the provision of warmth and nutrition garnered from another human being.

The disgusting (nazi) notion that its morally OK to destroy a human being based on this selfish concept of parasitic 'inconvenience' is what really lies at the heart of the pro-abortionists arguments.

After birth anyone can care for the baby, nobody is being compelled to.

A reversal of Roe doesn’t lead and wouldn’t lead to forced organ donation, in part because the decision carved out an exception to State power to forbid abortion where the mother’s health is jeopardized by the pregnancy amd that would include the risk of loss of a body organ. So, no, this part of her argument doesn’t constitute as a “perfectly good argument.” Another reason the argument is deficient is because forced organ donation isn’t analogous to a pregnancy.

The fundies do not want to believe there is any medical reason for abortion and if given their way they will deny it until either the fetus dies or the woman dies.

A reversal of Roe doesn’t lead and wouldn’t lead to forced organ donation, in part because the decision carved out an exception to State power to forbid abortion where the mother’s health is jeopardized by the pregnancy amd that would include the risk of loss of a body organ. So, no, this part of her argument doesn’t constitute as a “perfectly good argument.” Another reason the argument is deficient is because forced organ donation isn’t analogous to a pregnancy.

The fundies do not want to believe there is any medical reason for abortion and if given their way they will deny it until either the fetus dies or the woman dies.

I don't see, other than perhaps through sheer willful disregard for formal logic, a reversal of Roe, as everything here was, as James pointed out, the protection of the mother's health and the limitations there restricting abortion may very well end through the overturn of Roe. In other words, the decision that protects the integrity of our organs through jurisprudence is exactly the precedent under attack by James's own post.

Of course, this is assuming James told the truth about Roe offering the precedent that restricted the state in this way.

TL;DR: if roe contains that precedent, then overturning it absolutely bears the risk that precedent is revoked, and thus "overturning roe absolutely can lead to forced organ donation/loan"

A new born baby is just as parasitically reliant as an unborn baby in terms of the provision of warmth and nutrition garnered from another human being.

The disgusting (nazi) notion that its morally OK to destroy a human being based on this selfish concept of parasitic 'inconvenience' is what really lies at the heart of the pro-abortionists arguments.

There's tons of jurisdictions where it's illegal NOT to care for your child. (Neglect or negligent treatment.)

You can go to jail for NOT reporting child abuse, neglect, malnutrition... (Mandatory reporting.)

You are quite ignorant and wrong to claim nobody is compelled to care for new born babies.

A baby ingests its own food, breaths its own air. It is not "just as parasitically reliant".

Yeah, when you need to play the Nazi card, one knows their inhumane argument doesn't carry as much water as they project it does.

There's tons of jurisdictions where it's illegal NOT to care for your child. (Neglect or negligent treatment.)

You can go to jail for NOT reporting child abuse, neglect, malnutrition... (Mandatory reporting.)

You are quite ignorant and wrong to claim nobody is compelled to care for new born babies.

Parents can relinquish their child and their parental rights if they are unable or unwilling to care fir their child.

Mandatory reporting applies to only certain categories of professions, not the general population.

Parents can relinquish their child and their parental rights if they are unable or unwilling to care fir their child.

Mandatory reporting applies to only certain categories of professions, not the general population.
Not sure why you bother replying when it's clear he won't listen to anything remotely reasonable (or factual for that matter). it's catholic dogma, plain and simple. That's all that matters, even though catholics are only a tiny percentage of the world/US population, they think everyone else should adhere to their religion.

Not sure why you bother replying when it's clear he won't listen to anything remotely reasonable (or factual for that matter). it's catholic dogma, plain and simple. That's all that matters, even though catholics are only a tiny percentage of the world/US population, they think everyone else should adhere to their religion.

I certainly have seen the same dogma in evangelical Christians. I would not have pegged him as a Catholic.

In every state in the US you can simply hand the baby over to the hospital and walk away, no obligation. The window in which you can do this varies from state to state.

That is an extension of laws, that exist in every state, which would send you to jail for child desertion or child abandonment if you DIDNT ensure the child was continuously cared for.

Thanks for helping me make my argument.

A baby ingests its own food, breaths its own air. It is not "just as parasitically reliant".

Yeah...the baby drives to the supermarket and buys his "own food".

A parasite takes. It has the means to just take without permission.

It is not something that some other organism freely gives to.

A parasite takes. It has the means to just take without permission.

It is not something that some other organism freely gives to.

Yes. This is what "parasite" evokes, and entirely what the ethical qualm people ought feel when they hear the word would be justly pinned on.

This is the usage when applied to "fetus": something some other organism does not give freely to, but which takes without permission.

It is the event of "consent" which removes this ethical problem.

Thus I could call a tick a "parasite" but if it's my friend/pet (ew...) "calling it a parasite" isn't applicable due to the connotation attached to usage of the term, in the same way calling an unwanted fetus such IS applicable to the connotation

Yeah...the baby drives to the supermarket and buys his "own food".
Dude, if you aren't going to stand by your over-reaching statements, best not to make them in the first place. That is what a Nazi would do.

Of course, none of the examples I gave were the permanent loss of an entire organ. That was on purpose. You’d still have the rest of your bone marrow, the other kidney, the rest of your liver, the rest of your blood. I chose “donations” that would be analogous. And of course, pregnancy does indeed include the risk of entire organs, or their function, permanently as well. But my examples didn’t ask you to understand that far. You might argue that one kidney is an entire organ, but it does not leave your body without function, still you can take that one out if you’re not able to see the analogy.

You are hinting that you are a woman who is the “in group” and that you understand this. My apologies for misgendering you all this time, I did not realize this, I will correct that going forward. But your words do not appear to understand this impact on a woman’s organs in pregnancy, so I don’t know what to make of that, but it is not trivial.

As Toni points out - the purpose of the analogy is in part to try to engender some scrap of empathy from men on the magnitude of the effect of pregnancy on a human body. It is also in part to say, “if we decide women’s body’s are vessels without autonomy that can be compelled to donate the use of their organs, including permanent change to the function of those organs and risk of loss of function, then we need to rightly decide that ALL people’s bodies can be similarly coopted by the state whenever another human needs it.”

And yet you’ve made poor arguments for “abortion rights” and have not demonstrated how a “harm” to “abortion rights” leads to “harm the rights of anyone who wants to protect their own body.” The poor analogies of organ donation isn’t persuasive and to properly support what you’ve said requires an understanding of the law regarding “abortion rights.”

My argument may never be pursuasive to you. It would certainly never be pursuasive to the men who would seek to coerce me to donate the use of my organs. Many arguments for civil rights in history were not pursuasive to the people who sought to deny them.

But my argument has logic and the analogy is sound. If the law would force my body to be used to provide life-preserving function to another human, then any body should be available to be forced to provide life preserving function to another human. To say that only women can be forced is a violation of civil rights.

Second, I never denied “organs are at risk of loss.” As a matter of fact, I accounted for it at the top of page 13 (on my iPhone) when I said, “doesn’t permit the potential mother to lose a body organ, or greatly risk doing so…”

Every pregnancy presents that risk, and again it doesn’t have to be to *lose* an organ, it can damage the function of the organ.

Whereas your posts are consistent with someone who hasn’t read or studied the opinion. Do I need to illuminate for you the Holding and reasoning of the case? Or can you be bothered to read what it is you want to defend? Otherwise, I can explain how overturning Roe doesn’t lead to your implications but you aren’t going to understand unless you actually know what the Court held in Roe and its reasoning.

Since Roe limits the coercion of the woman to donate the use and function of her organs to the third trimester, overturning will remove that limit and enable the coercion at earlier points in the pregnancy. Some states are tryign to make that point be when the pregnancy does not even include a functioning person; before it has a working brain, indeed - when it is merely 2 cells.

That is why I entered the dscussion with this post:

Remember when the “centrists” said that progressives were being hysterical about the “unfounded fear” that the right to abortion would ever be at risk?

Oh, you thought I was just mimicking the reasoning used by male justices in 1973.

Why on earth would I limit myself to that?

Oh gee, why would any rational person think that? Oh, maybe because you referenced a specific opinion, Roe v Wade, and then opined of the implications to follow, by example, if the decision is reversed.

And that means my objections about the harm its reversal would cause are limited to the harms those justices could envision? Again, why would I limit my understanding of the harm to their limited understanding of the harm?

I envision much more harm than they did. That was my point in the discussion, that I addressed with this post:

It’s my opinion that if Roe v. Wade is weakened or overturned, stating that a woman’s body can be coerced to have her organs operate for the sake of another being, that it is now legal for ANY human to have the use of thier body coerced for any other human who needs it.

If someone needs a kidney, and Newt Gingrich s a match, he **MUST** donate his kidney.
If someone needs bone marrow to live and Marjorie Taylor Greene is a match, she MUST donate, whether the timing is conveninet or not, and as many times as is necessary.

It doesn’t matter if it leaves the donor in a compromised physical state, it does not matter if it will harm your career or your family, or your education. You MUST ALWAYS be a donor whenever another person’s life rides on your donation. Or you are charged with murder.

Donating marrow does not result in the “loss of an organ”
You may argue that having one of your two kidneys removed constitutes a “loss of an organ,” I’ll withdraw that from the list (even though women with undiagnosed kidney disease can go into complete renal failure due to pregnancy)
Replace it, if you like, with forced blood donation.

And yet you’ve made poor arguments for “abortion rights” and have not demonstrated how a “harm” to “abortion rights” leads to “harm the rights of anyone who wants to protect their own body.” The poor analogies of organ donation isn’t persuasive and to properly support what you’ve said requires an understanding of the law regarding “abortion rights.”

Second, I never denied “organs are at risk of loss.” As a matter of fact, I accounted for it at the top of page 13 (on my iPhone) when I said, “doesn’t permit the potential mother to lose a body organ, or greatly risk doing so…”

Every pregnancy presents that risk, and again it doesn’t have to be to *lose* an organ, it can damage the function of the organ.

Whereas your posts are consistent with someone who hasn’t read or studied the opinion. Do I need to illuminate for you the Holding and reasoning of the case? Or can you be bothered to read what it is you want to defend? Otherwise, I can explain how overturning Roe doesn’t lead to your implications but you aren’t going to understand unless you actually know what the Court held in Roe and its reasoning.

Since Roe limits the coercion of the woman to donate the use and function of her organs to the third trimester, overturning will remove that limit and enable the coercion at earlier points in the pregnancy. Some states are tryign to make that point be when the pregnancy does not even include a functioning person; before it has a working brain, indeed - when it is merely 2 cells.

That is why I entered the dscussion with this post:

Remember when the “centrists” said that progressives were being hysterical about the “unfounded fear” that the right to abortion would ever be at risk?

Oh, you thought I was just mimicking the reasoning used by male justices in 1973.

Why on earth would I limit myself to that?

Oh gee, why would any rational person think that? Oh, maybe because you referenced a specific opinion, Roe v Wade, and then opined of the implications to follow, by example, if the decision is reversed.

And that means my objections about the harm its reversal would cause are limited to the harms those justices could envision? Again, why would I limit my understanding of the harm to their limited understanding of the harm?

I envision much more harm than they did. That was my point in the discussion, that I addressed with this post:

It’s my opinion that if Roe v. Wade is weakened or overturned, stating that a woman’s body can be coerced to have her organs operate for the sake of another being, that it is now legal for ANY human to have the use of thier body coerced for any other human who needs it.

If someone needs a kidney, and Newt Gingrich s a match, he **MUST** donate his kidney.
If someone needs bone marrow to live and Marjorie Taylor Greene is a match, she MUST donate, whether the timing is conveninet or not, and as many times as is necessary.

It doesn’t matter if it leaves the donor in a compromised physical state, it does not matter if it will harm your career or your family, or your education. You MUST ALWAYS be a donor whenever another person’s life rides on your donation. Or you are charged with murder.

Donating marrow does not result in the “loss of an organ”
You may argue that having one of your two kidneys removed constitutes a “loss of an organ,” I’ll withdraw that from the list (even though women with undiagnosed kidney disease can go into complete renal failure due to pregnancy)
Replace it, if you like, with forced blood donation.

Of course, none of the examples I gave were the permanent loss of an entire organ. That was on purpose. You’d still have the rest of your bone marrow, the other kidney, the rest of your liver, the rest of your blood. I chose “donations” that would be analogous.

My god, no donation is “analogous” because donation of an organ IS complete loss of the bodily organ but neither a pregnancy or Roe requires a woman to lose or risk loss of an organ. Hence, your “donation” of an organ by order of the State isn’t analogous and doesn’t follow from a reversal of Roe.

You are hinting that you are a woman who is the “in group” and that you understand this.

I made no such hint. Such a “hint” isn’t to be found in any thing I’ve posted. And for good reason, my gender, your gender, my sex, your sex, doesn’t have anything to do with the argument.

That your focusing upon sex or gender illustrates your argument can be reduced to my in group is right, because we are women, and my outgroup, men, have it wrong because they are men. Your logic of if they have a dick, then to hell with their opinion on this issue is not sensible. This line of reasoning isn’t rational or an intelligent approach.

What I was commenting upon was your fallacy of thinking the Roe decision is flawed because it was decided by men. So what? The flaw, if any, of the decision will be the logic of the decision, and not the sex of the opinion writers.

As Toni points out - the purpose of the analogy is in part to try to engender some scrap of empathy from men on the magnitude of the effect of pregnancy on a human body.

And you think it is sensible to use poor analogies to engender empathy? All one need to do is read the Roe decision and realize your analogy of organ donation isn’t on the table if Roe’s holding is reversed.

It would certainly never be pursuasive to the men who would seek to coerce me to donate the use of my organs. Many arguments for civil rights in history were not pursuasive to the people who sought to deny them

Oh for god’s sake, stop with the argument of consider the source.

But my argument has logic and the analogy is sound.

No the analogy of forced organ donation isn’t sound because Roe didn’t involve any State power requiring women to suffer a permanent loss of any organs by the mother or to endure a reasonable medical probability of risk of loss of an organ. To the contrary, Roe prohibits the State from requiring the mother to take such a risk or to endure such a loss for anytime after the first trimester. So, those analogies aren’t sound.

If the law would force my body to be used to provide life-preserving function to another human, then any body should be available to be forced to provide life preserving function to another human. To say that only women can be forced is a violation of civil rights

The state power at issue in Roe, manifested as a “law” in Roe, was a state power to prohibit abortion. The state power before the Court in Roe was not a state power to “force my body to be used to provide life-preserving function to another human.” That simply was not a state power or law before the Court in Roe and neither was it a state power or law the Court in Roe addressed.

Your phrasing is a power broader than that asserted by the State in Roe and before the Court in Roe. For this reason, it doesn’t follow if Roe is reversed then the State can, as you phrase it, compel someone else’s body to “be used to provide life-preserving function to another human being.”

If you want to defend Roe in such a way as to have others share your “empathy,” it helps to make arguments within the parameters of the Roe decision. Instead, you proposed a state power of forcing people to have their bodies “used” to preserve the life of another person, a power not raised in Roe, a power not decided by Roe, a power outside the context of Roe.

I agree. However, I am not an advocate for and do not advocate religious morality should be codified on the basis it is their religious belief. I am very much more aligned with a Libertian notion of generally what a person does with their body, and doesn’t affect others physically or others’ property (or some risk of doing so, I’m contemplating driving under the influence as an example here)etcetera, then the government isn’t to be involved.

Which, for edification purposes, I am of the opinion the right to procreate/not procreate is enshrined in the 9th Amendment. I find Randy Barrett’s arguments, and other evidence, persuasive that the 9th Amendment protects a broad, and vast reservoir of liberty. https://scholarship.law.georgetown.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1850&context=facpub

Which, I think, includes a vast liberty regarding private property, that extends to business entities.

I don't see, other than perhaps through sheer willful disregard for formal logic, a reversal of Roe, as everything here was, as James pointed out, the protection of the mother's health and the limitations there restricting abortion may very well end through the overturn of Roe. In other words, the decision that protects the integrity of our organs through jurisprudence is exactly the precedent under attack by James's own post.

Of course, this is assuming James told the truth about Roe offering the precedent that restricted the state in this way.

TL;DR: if roe contains that precedent, then overturning it absolutely bears the risk that precedent is revoked, and thus "overturning roe absolutely can lead to forced organ donation/loan"

Except I’m not “attacking the precedent” of Roe. I am addrsssing rather poor arguments to defend Roe.

To be clear, if SCOTUS reverses Roe it will be on the basis of rejecting what is known as Substantive Due Process. Substantive Due Process is and has been the vehicle by which the Court has recognized an assortment of unenumerated liberty and privacy interests that generally are beyond the reach of state power.

The derision this approach has received, a derision which isn’t irrational, is that the plain text and historical meaning of due process is in regards to procedural process, the procedural hurdles the state must clear to take away life, liberty, and property. Hence, to take liberty away requires the procedures of, if a criminal matter, a hearing before a neutral and detached judge/magistrate to determine probable cause to hold the person, a jury trial, a trial to the judge who is neutral. Or, back in the day of debtors’ prison, one couldn’t be imprisoned for a debt until the debtor demonstrated to a neutral judge a debt was owed.

The backlash to Roe has been the Court created the right, and many others, that do not exist in the 14th Amendment DPC. It’s a fair point.

I very much believe generally the State isn’t to decide whether someone is to have an abortion by enacting laws prohibiting abortion, and this right is in the 9th Amendment. However, the generality is balanced against the idea of the State protecting the fetus from abortion at some point isn’t an absurd idea. There is ample historical evidence that the common law did permit women to have an abortion that didn’t constitute as a criminal offense while criminalizing an abortion past “quickening.”

The reason I refer to the common law is because many of our rights, including privacy, find their genesis and limits in the common law. This approach, to some extent, abated justices and judges playing the role of philosopher kings, rendering for the masses, based on their own wisdom and philosophical dispositions, what is/isn’t a right and its limits.

I very much believe generally the State isn’t to decide whether someone is to have an abortion by enacting laws prohibiting abortion, and this right is in the 9th Amendment. However, the generality is balanced against the idea of the State protecting the fetus from abortion at some point isn’t an absurd idea.

Unable to diagram this sentence.

I very much believe generally the State isn’t to decide whether someone is to have an abortion by enacting laws prohibiting abortion, and this right is in the 9th Amendment. However, the generality is balanced against the idea of the State protecting the fetus from abortion at some point isn’t an absurd idea.

Unable to diagram this sentence.

He's trying to use sophistry to hide the simple form of:

The state shouldn't tell a woman she can't have an abortion BUT (canned justification for democratizing womb slavery)

Back
Top Bottom