• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine - tactics and logistics

The reason Americans die earlier than Europeans is because a lot of money that could have gone to healthcare for the poor instead goes to weapons, for the benefit of the entire free world.
The entire free world may benefit from the USA's policy of maintaining a military juggernaut rather than using the money to healthcare of the poor is not motivated by defending the free world against the threats of evil powers. It is motivated by defending economic interests, specifically the economic interests of the elite.

Sure. These are not mutually exclusive. If American military expenditure didn't also aid the elites of USA, they of course wouldn't bother.

In his May the seventh speech Putin manages, somehow, to blame the west for him attacking Ukraine. This is so weird. It's like an abusive husband trying to defend why he's been beating his wife by blaming the annoying neighbour. How does this make sense to anyone? Barbos, can you explain the logic behind this? I don't get it.

The logic is that Putin can spout of any bullshit he wants, and he'll be proven right after he wins. Might makes right.

The moral bankruptcy of Russia is clear to anyone, but in the end the war isn't about moral victory, it's about military victory. And Russia seems to be edging towards that, albeit slowly. This weekend they captured Popasna and are close to cutting off Ukrainian supply lines to Severodonetsk. Russia is also preparing an attack from Kherson. Ukraine has been able to block Russia in some places, like Izyum, but it isn't in a position to do counter-attacks yet.
The Russian Hitler says he's fighting for the motherland. Pure crock of shit. he's fighting for Putinland, if anything. Fact is he isn't fighting at all. If he was fighting he'd be dead already.

The U.S. and Ukraine are doing well militarily and politically. I don't think Putin can maintain the battle, however long it drags on. Either he will be dead or he will be out of power. I certainly hope Ukraine regains all of its territory or is compensated for it financially if Putin keeps it. If he doesn't pay for it then Ukraine has every right to fight a protracted guerilla war, and will.

An intercepted phone call between a Russian soldier and his mother describing the tortures he's inflicted on Ukrainians.

Not for the squeamish.

Someone launched a bio-weapon into the Russian embassy in Finland. They dumped a can of surströmming into the courtyard.

Hopefully the tide will soon turn in Eastern Ukraine. Didn't someone hearld the drying out of Ukrainian soil so Russian tanks could better move forward? But it's my understanding the Ukrainians have more tanks than the Russians now. I guess the soil is just as dry if they need to move back.

The Howitzers are in. The Ukrainian army is studiously training in Germany and going back to train others in their use. The fucking things probably have SAE fasteners. I hope Ukrainians can pick up on fractions (America's secret weapon) well enough.

Biden signed the Lend/Lease Act today. Armament aplenty. And not just for Ukraine.

And Russia has pretty much run out of professional soldiers. And should be running out of a lot of stuff that came to a halt a couple months ago.
Everything going forward is going to be politically painful for Putin and economically so for the billionaires who have fleeced Russian society over the years.

And soon Finland's armed forces and Sweden's boy scout troop should officially request to join the club.

It is said they are running low on guided missiles.

In the end in WWII Germany and Japan could not hope to match the economic capacity of the Allies.

Russia has stepped up its cruel, cowardly missile attacks against the citizens and historic city of Odesa, a very Russian-speaking city. Somehow, these cruise missiles are only supposed to kill the families of russophobic Ukrainian Nazi "Banderites", who are trying to oppress Russian-speaking Ukrainians. So many of the cities being leveled are former "hero cities" of the Soviet Union, and the people being destroyed are descendants of those who fought in the Great Patriotic War against Nazi Germany. This took place on a day all over Russia that was devoted to celebrating the surrender of Nazi Germany.

Odesa under further missile attacks

Putin my be the next Saddam Hussein.
Or Mussolini. He ended up dead hanging naked from his feet by the Italian people.

I wonder if Putin is incompetent or has reduced mental capacity and does not know the specifics of what the military is doing. Either that or he is a vicious psychopath killer.

Or Mussolini. He ended up dead hanging naked from his feet by the Italian people.

I wonder if Putin is incompetent or has reduced mental capacity and does not know the specifics of what the military is doing. Either that or he is a vicious psychopath killer.
I heard there is a video of Putin in his St. Petersburg city administration days commenting on crime problem in the city. His solution was that if criminals kill a police officer, the police should round up and execute two criminals.

True or not, that sums up his outlook. Not sure if it makes him a psychopath, probably not, but to him deaths are just numbers.

Hopefully the tide will soon turn in Eastern Ukraine. Didn't someone hearld the drying out of Ukrainian soil so Russian tanks could better move forward? But it's my understanding the Ukrainians have more tanks than the Russians now. I guess the soil is just as dry if they need to move back.

The Howitzers are in. The Ukrainian army is studiously training in Germany and going back to train others in their use. The fucking things probably have SAE fasteners. I hope Ukrainians can pick up on fractions (America's secret weapon) well enough.

Biden signed the Lend/Lease Act today. Armament aplenty. And not just for Ukraine.

And Russia has pretty much run out of professional soldiers. And should be running out of a lot of stuff that came to a halt a couple months ago.
Everything going forward is going to be politically painful for Putin and economically so for the billionaires who have fleeced Russian society over the years.

And soon Finland's armed forces and Sweden's boy scout troop should officially request to join the club.
It is said they are running low on guided missiles.

In the end in WWII Germany and Japan could not hope to match the economic capacity of the Allies.

I think your optimism is misplaced. Russia is shooting guided missiles at Odessa every day. And other cities as well. Doesn't seem like they're running out. Meanwhile, Ukraine is having severe shortage of fuel. It's civilian economy is on the brink of collapse. I don't think a few Howitzers will help.

Putin is not going to face justice for his crimes.

For those who feel that Putin may somehow be out of the loop on what is happening in Ukraine, let's not forget the  Russian apartment bombings, which Putin used to catapult himself into power. Even Biden was pretty clear that he knew that Putin was a killer. It doesn't take a "genius" like Trump to figure out that Putin does not have an ounce of compassion for those countless numbers of people from all walks of life whose lives he has destroyed. He isn't just a psychopath. He is a sociopath. He will kill his own people without a second thought, and it is easy for him to order the mass murder of innocent civilians who happen to be living in a country that so publicly rejected his rule in a historic revolt against the leader he managed to help install in power. The Ukrainians humiliated him in 2014, and he has been after his revenge against them ever since that watershed rebellion.

For those who feel that Putin may somehow be out of the loop on what is happening in Ukraine, let's not forget the  Russian apartment bombings, which Putin used to catapult himself into power. Even Biden was pretty clear that he knew that Putin was a killer. It doesn't take a "genius" like Trump to figure out that Putin does not have an ounce of compassion for those countless numbers of people from all walks of life whose lives he has destroyed. He isn't just a psychopath. He is a sociopath. He will kill his own people without a second thought, and it is easy for him to order the mass murder of innocent civilians who happen to be living in a country that so publicly rejected his rule in a historic revolt against the leader he managed to help install in power. The Ukrainians humiliated him in 2014, and he has been after his revenge against them ever since that watershed rebellion.
Exactly. He's a petty man who holds a grudge. This is also why Zelensky will have to watch over his back for the rest of his life. Ukraine is a country, an abstract entity, but Zelensky is a person who, by not running away, rallying the western leaders, and by beating Putin in the information warfare almost daily, is someone who Putin could hold personally responsible for this whole mess. Even if Putin were to die, I'm sure he'll give orders to FSB or GRU to keep Zelensky on top of their kill list.

I heard there is a video of Putin in his St. Petersburg city administration days commenting on crime problem in the city. His solution was that if criminals kill a police officer, the police should round up and execute two criminals.

True or not, that sums up his outlook. Not sure if it makes him a psychopath, probably not, but to him deaths are just numbers.
This is the reason organised crime isn't a problem in fascist countries.

But you do realize that organized crime in Russia is a very state-run enterprise, don't you? This bond between the government and criminals went back to the Soviet era, when the Communist Party spawned a huge underground economy by suppressing the ability of citizens to engage in private enterprise legally. The Black Market became a fact of life for those who had to endure decades of an incompetent "planned economy" that simply had no idea of how to plan an economy. The KGB itself became instrumental in smuggling Western goods into Russia for very lucrative profit. They were the ones who had the opportunity to engage in foreign travel, so they had access to the source. In modern Russia, the security services no longer have that kind of monopoly, but criminals with connections are often given license to operate internationally, if they leave Russian enterprises alone. The Russian government finds organized crime a useful tool.

But you do realize that organized crime in Russia is a very state-run enterprise, don't you? This bond between the government and criminals went back to the Soviet era, when the Communist Party spawned a huge underground economy by suppressing the ability of citizens to engage in private enterprise legally. The Black Market became a fact of life for those who had to endure decades of an incompetent "planned economy" that simply had no idea of how to plan an economy. The KGB itself became instrumental in smuggling Western goods into Russia for very lucrative profit. They were the ones who had the opportunity to engage in foreign travel, so they had access to the source. In modern Russia, the security services no longer have that kind of monopoly, but criminals with connections are often given license to operate internationally, if they leave Russian enterprises alone. The Russian government finds organized crime a useful tool.

Yes. A fascist government behaves themselves as a maffia. That's why. No maffia wants competition, and with the resources of a national government behind it, and no ethics to take into consideration, crushing ones enemies is easy. The Russian maffia had been allied to the Soviet government since Brezhnev. If I remember my contemporary Russian history correctly, when the USSR collapsed and the Yeltsin government sold out the state companies they prevented foreigners to buy controlling shares of Russian companies. Since the only people who had any money at that point where the maffia, the Russian maffia became part of the Russian elite. The ruling class of Russia today are ex-KGB officers in alliance with maffia funded oligarchs.

A western form of liberal democracy does not appear possible for Russia.

Stating what has been widely reported for years, Putin and his government is a criminal enterprise. In the news stolen Ukrainian wheat is showing up in the Mediterranean region. Imagine Trump with the dictatorial powers he wanted.

Putin came out of nowhere in becoming the head of Russia. His primary qualification was being reliable in not prosecuting Boris Yeltsin and his family for corruption.

Case in point:

Six figures with ties to the Kremlin have died since Vladimir Putin launched Ukraine war

And that figure does not include the family members, wives, children. Clearly these deaths are not murder suicides, particularly when there are no finger prints on the murder weapons or blood spatter on the oligarch who hanged himself after hacking his two daughters to death. No prints on the gun when he shot himself. This is Putin's world. It's Hitler's world.

Back
Top Bottom