• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine - tactics and logistics

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
There’s another thread for “what should US response be, but this has obviously become much bigger, soo I’m creating a new place to ask queestions and discuss the military tactics, logstics and etc.

And I’ll start:

that 40 mile-long convoy of Russians headed for Kyiv - what have they not been bombed to smithereens by now? What logistics prevent it?

I kind of expected the molotov army, at least, to make a move. If not the anti-tank weapons. Are they still on the way and the Ulkrainian army has none?

But perhaps it is too far. Perhaps there is not enough cover?

Anyway, wondering why a 40-mile long, slow-moving thing hasn’t been pestered by guerillas.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
I'm very impressed that the Ukrainians are tracking Russian Troop movements by using their Grindr posts. Esp. considering that Putin keeps saying there are no gays in Russia.

And though women-gaslighting-invaders-to-get-intel is far older than gas lights, the fact that they're using Tinder to do it now? That's pretty nifty.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
There’s another thread for “what should US response be, but this has obviously become much bigger, soo I’m creating a new place to ask queestions and discuss the military tactics, logstics and etc.

And I’ll start:

that 40 mile-long convoy of Russians headed for Kyiv - what have they not been bombed to smithereens by now? What logistics prevent it?

I kind of expected the molotov army, at least, to make a move. If not the anti-tank weapons. Are they still on the way and the Ulkrainian army has none?

Anyway, wondering why a 40-mile long, slow-moving thing hasn’t been pestered by guerillas.
I'm sure that they are being harassed continuously. I'd bet that 25% will be taking out. I'm sure hoping for at least that amount. But I'm probably being optimistic. I'm hearing that women and children are lying in roads trying to impede them. But the issue is that there are just so many Russians who are willing to die for the Putin death cult. And the Ukrainians don't have control of their airspace. They are fighting. But it's David vs Goliath.

SLD

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
Probably because Russia has air supremacy. The first wave of attacks was likely designed to destroy Ukrainian air assets and air defense. That’s why they withheld the bulk of their troops. Now they’re moving them in since they can easily protect them.

It’s easy to see the narrative that Ukraine is putting up stiff resistance, but who knows what’s going on for sure. If they could pound this column, they would. That they haven’t bodes very badly for Kiev. Nevertheless, once they are trapped in an urban environment, air power becomes significantly less effective.

It remains to be seen whether Russia proceeds much west of the Dnieper. CSIS‘s assessment is that they don’t have the troop strength to do it. They will stick to the eastern part to create a pro Russian state, where Russian support is stronger. We will see.

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen
My guess is that if you asked the Ukrainians "do you know there's a 40 mile convoy heading towards Kyiv?" They'd say "yep."

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
My guess is that if you asked the Ukrainians "do you know there's a 40 mile convoy heading towards Kyiv?" They'd say "yep."
I know!

So I’m figuring (seriously now) that something iis preventive Ukranians from harming it, and I’m curious what it is. The convoy seems so exposed. I suppose guess # 1 is that the anti tank stuff hasn’t arrived or there is no cover to deploy along the road without getting fired on.

But dayum, those satellite photos sure make me wish for a drone or 12.

Tigers!

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Bible believing revelational redemptionist (Baptist)
That column work have a lot of radar covering to try to prevent Ukrainian aircraft from hitting it. The fact that it has not been hit suggests the Ukrainian air force is too weak and /or waiting until it gets closer.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
My guess convoy has not reached the place where nazis are waiting for them.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
But dayum, those satellite photos sure make me wish for a drone or 12
Ukraine has 12 turkish drones which turned out to be highly effective in Azerbaijan illegal invasion of Karabakh which West half-heartedly supported becasue it was by one definitely non-democracy supported by NATO member Turkey against poor democracy but which was kinda between the West and Russia. So it was hard to decide what to do for you guys.

Problem with these drones they are easy to jam, and even easier to shoot down.
No satellite link, just ordinary radio link. Not useful against more sophisticated army.

Very early report said russian forces shot down at least one of these drones. But there is indirect evidence that it was successfully deployed in one case.

The only chance ukrainian nazi have is your javelin thingy.
reality of the situation is that there is still very little actual war outside Eastern Ukraine.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I kind of expected the molotov army, at least, to make a move
I think all these brave women with molotovs were doing it for a camera shot.
Motivation to repeal these hordes of evil Russians is being greatly exaggerated.

Patooka

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
aaa
My guess convoy has not reached the place where nazis are waiting for them.
I hope they have snacks and a cushion because they're in for a fucking long wait.
Motivation to repeal these hordes of evil Russians is being greatly exaggerated.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thank you. I needed that.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
The photos, which were taken Monday and provided to Global News by American space technology company Maxar, suggest the convoy is nearly 65 kilometres (40 miles) long, stretching from near Antonov airport in Hostomel in the south to the northern-end of the convoy near the village of Prybirsk.

Ukrainian forces concentrated within Kyiv where they are needed most and the proper arms, Stingers and Javelins not in the right hands yet perhaps. Little logistic support for Ukrainian fighters in rural areas. Likely a number of factors. My concern is Kyiv getting starved out.

From the photos in the Global News article below, there looks to be plenty of wooded cover in which to fire from. Hopefully some of those trees start to move soon. My wishful thinking is there are Ukrainian forces to circle around behind the Russian convoy as it approaches Kyiv. If they could get them bunched up where movement is somewhat restricted, that would be great.

Global News

ExxonMobil has yet to sever ties with Russia. Shell has, of course. So if you need gas, do boycott ExxonMobil. Do your small part.

bigfield

the baby-eater
Basic Beliefs
yeah nah

One news report I vaguely remember mentioned echelons sweeping the countryside on either side of the column and basically driving off every civilian they find.

That suggests that the Russians are protecting their flanks at least a little bit, maybe enough to make it hard to get close enough to the convoy to start shooting missiles at it.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The photos, which were taken Monday and provided to Global News by American space technology company Maxar, suggest the convoy is nearly 65 kilometres (40 miles) long, stretching from near Antonov airport in Hostomel in the south to the northern-end of the convoy near the village of Prybirsk.

Ukrainian forces concentrated within Kyiv where they are needed most and the proper arms, Stingers and Javelins not in the right hands yet perhaps. Little logistic support for Ukrainian fighters in rural areas. Likely a number of factors. My concern is Kyiv getting starved out.

From the photos in the Global News article below, there looks to be plenty of wooded cover in which to fire from. Hopefully some of those trees start to move soon. My wishful thinking is there are Ukrainian forces to circle around behind the Russian convoy as it approaches Kyiv. If they could get them bunched up where movement is somewhat restricted, that would be great.

Global News

ExxonMobil has yet to sever ties with Russia. Shell has, of course. So if you need gas, do boycott ExxonMobil. Do your small part.
Yep. We should boycott any company that doesn't stop doing business with Russia. If 65 year old Ukranian grandmas have the courage to take up arms; we should have the decency to boycott any and all Russian related products. I'll bet that Exon gets on board within a day. Boycott Exxon until they do.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I agree, Russia should immediately start boycott of Russian oil-gas in Europe and in Ukraine for that matter. That 65 year old grandma is too cozy in my opinion.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I agree, Russia should immediately start boycott of Russian oil-gas in Europe.
Well, the Nazis in Russia started this war. The brave Ukranians are doing the fighting. The least the west can do is try to bankrupt Russia as much as we can.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Well, the Nazis in Russia started this war. The brave Ukranians are doing the fighting. The least the west can do is try to bankrupt Russia as much as we can.
No, war was started by Nuland. Russian nazis, according to wikipedia are all retired and drinking tea on their dachas.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
The question is about crossings. Got to wonder how many bridges and waterways there are to cross over. And how many have been secured by the Russians. Won't stop them, but can impede them.

Global News

Yep. We should boycott any company that doesn't stop doing business with Russia. If 65 year old Ukranian grandmas have the courage to take up arms; we should have the decency to boycott any and all Russian related products. I'll bet that Exon gets on board within a day. Boycott Exxon until they do.
I've been boycotting Exxon since Valdez.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
That column work have a lot of radar covering to try to prevent Ukrainian aircraft from hitting it. The fact that it has not been hit suggests the Ukrainian air force is too weak and /or waiting until it gets closer.
You need stealth and power. Russia, again, has all the cool toys. This is guerilla stuff for Ukraine. And the convoy also plays a ticking timebomb mentality with the Ukrainians. So again, trying to win first with fear.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I agree, Russia should immediately start boycott of Russian oil-gas in Europe and in Ukraine for that matter. That 65 year old grandma is too cozy in my opinion.
I actually agree with you. Too many of the non-puppet eastern European states were too complacent regarding Russia. Many of them never dreamed that Russia would invade their neighbors and have such low regard for civilians. But they are waking up my friend! Do not fret. I guaranty you that the anti-Russian military weapons (the Javelin!) are being made in mass numbers. And they will be distributed all over eastern Europe. And the Russian invaders will find much greater opposition in the future. You're not going to catch the next government by suprise again.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
and have such low regard for civilians
What exactly do you mean by that?
Russian army have been extremely accurate so far. They even warn people about targets they are planning to destroy.
Can't say the same about nazis in Eastern Ukraine. On the other hand they have been assholes 8 years now.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Russian army have been extremely accurate so far.
You can't shell "extremely accurately". If one could, the convoy would have already been destroyed. And you darn well know that.
Well, Ukrainians can't, but russians can. That's why I made my remark about russians being extremely accurate and warning in advance if there is a chance for civilians nearby.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
I think all these brave women with molotovs were doing it for a camera shot.

Yeah, they were probably going crazy with desire for publicity, wanting to be mentioned by a deluded Putinista on the internet.
After all, what are family and homeland compared to getting your face on RT?
Oh, the glory!
🤡

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
You can't shell "extremely accurately". If one could, the convoy would have already been destroyed. And you darn well know that.
Well, Ukrainians can't, but russians can. That's why I made my remark about russians being extremely accurate and warning in advance if there is a chance for civilians nearby.
I guess the laws of physics act differently for the Russians.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Speaking of randomly shooting at civilians.
Ukrainians launched a rocket into Russian territory. Fortunately it was intercepted

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Russians do have smart bombs like yours. Well, yours are even better. But russians are good too.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Nope. They are just lead by a madman, and there is very little check on his power. Hopefully this crisis will die down someday. The vast majority of Russians are good people. But the crimes that they commit today in name of their leader, will cause an entire generation to hate them. Putin has united an entire continent into hating Russia.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Nope. They are just lead by a madman, and there is very little check on his power. Hopefully this crisis will die down someday. The vast majority of Russians are good people. But the crimes that they commit today in name of their leader, will cause an entire generation to hate them. Putin has united an entire continent into hating Russia.
You are the one who is led by madmen.

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
But they are not warning anyone.

Jayjay

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
An accurate worldview or philosophy
No, war was started by Nuland. Russian nazis, according to wikipedia are all retired and drinking tea on their dachas.
When did he retire?

putin tea.jpg

Jayjay

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
An accurate worldview or philosophy
If Russians can avoid civilians, but shell civilian areas anyway, what does that tell you?

Russia indiscriminately bombed civilian areas in Chechnya and Syria. And given what Putin and you think about Ukrainians ("They are all nazis!"), there's no reason they won't do it in Ukraine.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The Damn Ukranian freedom fighters are at it again. This time they attacked a school in Ukraine:

1646151568669.png

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
If Russians can avoid civilians, but shell civilian areas anyway, what does that tell you?
"Can" does not mean it always happens. Americans can too, does not mean it always happens. You should visit more threads about american police.

The Ukrainian military said Monday that dozens of civilians were killed and hundreds
Does it occur to you they might be lying? And it was them who killed civilians during their own attack? The same way they (verifiably) lied about other incidents?

Russia indiscriminately bombed civilian areas in Chechnya and Syria
Not in Syria.
next question.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
The Damn Ukranian freedom fighters are at it again. This time they attacked a school in Ukraine:
Dude, you post random picture which nobody can verify. Nobody

You are insane if you think killing mostly russian or even ukrainian for that matter population is in russian interest.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

You are insane if you think killing mostly russian or even ukrainian for that matter population is in russian interest.
Yes, I apologize. I should be more like you and post clear, accurate and easily verifiable links for every assertion that I make on this forum.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist

Yes, I apologize. I should be more like you and post clear, accurate and easily verifiable links for every assertion that I make on this forum.
Yes, you should. And yes I do that, way more than you, because you never do that.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Yes, you should. And yes I do that, way more than you, because you never do that.
I blame all the Nazis that control my country for my poor education!!!

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
"Can" does not mean it always happens. Americans can too, does not mean it always happens. You should visit more threads about american police.

The Ukrainian military said Monday that dozens of civilians were killed and hundreds
Does it occur to you they might be lying? And it was them who killed civilians during their own attack? The same way they (verifiably) lied about other incidents?

Russia indiscriminately bombed civilian areas in Chechnya and Syria
Not in Syria.
next question.
Of course, in Syria, Russian Mercenaries attacked Americans and were cut down, and Russia didn't even blink over the incident.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Of course, in Syria, Russian Mercenaries
OK, what does it have to do with Russian army?
Russian Army used Syria for training. That's basically what it was - training for new tactics and weapons.
And they learned you don't open fire on the US positions. Great training plan. Probably could have just left that as a bullet point in training PPT presentation.

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
From all the analysis I heard it apears Putin thought just cro

And I’ll start:

The short answer is air superiority. Staring with WWI air superiority was a key.

Ukraine has no air force. In the news their pilots have no training in NATO jets, and there was thought to find Soviet era planes they could fly.

The Brits and ohters are sending shouder fired anti tank and anti aircraft weapons. During the Russian occupation of Afgahnistan we supllied Stinger Missiles that gave the Afgahns the ability to shoot down helicopters, it made a big difference.

We and I assume NATO have stand off weapons that can devastate a tank or supply convoy. Stand off means distance, you do not have to directly engage. They can be fired from artillery or dropped in canisters. The Ukrainians probably have no way to use them.

If NATO was engaged air launced weapons coud be fired from outside the Ukranian borders. We have advanced radar and survelance technology that allows us to see details from a distance. I expect we see exactly what is going on.

The reports are that Russian convoys have been destroyed.

Top Bottom