• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Saudi Arabia: with friends like these, who needs enemies?

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Saudi Arabia Uncovered - YouTube

Great documentary. Narrated by a woman with a British accent, Tuppence Middleton. I checked on  Tuppence Middleton, and she is a British actress. From Hardcrash Production Ltd. 2016, produced for ITV Current Affairs.  ITV (TV network) is a British TV network.

Part of it was some undercover touring of that nation, complete with some video of some sword-beheading executions and of some demonstrations in the Shiite parts. Despite the nation's welfare statism, some parts continue to be very poor. Also highlights some dissidents.

Toward the end was discussion of promotion of Wahhabism and hard-like Islamism -- and Saudi Arabia's fighting the most extreme manifestations of that, like the Islamic state.

Can also be seen in light of the petrodollar.

That is a big part of it, I'm sure. Oil and democracy don't mix very well, and Saudi Arabia is far from alone in being generally wealthy, oil-rich, and undemocratic. This is known as the "resource curse", and the only countries that have escaped it are those countries with long traditions of democracy. Even so, there is some evidence that the US and Canada have not completely escaped it. Canada had Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and the US has the Koch brothers and their activism.

We don't need Saudi oil, but Trump has financial connections to SA. That's a large part of the problem, imo. The man doesn't care how disgusting any of the countries he has business ties to are. It's evident to anyone with half a brain. Just sayin'.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/07/trump-barrack-saudi-nuclear-deal-ip3

The Trump administration's coziness with Saudi Arabia—and willingness to kowtow to corporate interests—were thrown into sharper relief Monday, as a new House Oversight Committee report revealed the extent to which a private company and the Trump allies associated with it were able to use the administration to further their own financial interests in Riyadh. The new House report centers on how IP3, a private company described by one nuclear industry exec as “the Theranos of the nuclear industry,” has been attempting to circumvent the obstacles stopping them from transferring U.S. nuclear technology to the Saudis—with the Trump team's help. “With regard to Saudi Arabia, the Trump Administration has virtually obliterated the lines normally separating government policymaking from corporate and foreign interests,” the House report alleges. “The documents show the Administration’s willingness to let private parties with close ties to the President wield outsized influence over U.S. policy towards Saudi Arabia.”

The report, which is the second to be released on this topic and was based on a review of 60,000 documents, details how IP3 lobbied the Trump administration to relax their standards for any future nuclear agreement with Saudi Arabia. Typically, such an agreement would require the other country to agree to a “Gold Standard” that prevents the risk of nuclear proliferation, which the Saudis have already refused to comply with. IP3, which is assembled of companies wanting to build nuclear reactors in Saudi Arabia, is unhappy with this “total roadblock” to their plans to strike it rich in the Persian Gulf—and they have been making their case to the upper echelons of the Trump team. According to the report, IP3 officials were granted such “unprecedented access” to Trumpworld that they considered the administration an “extended team member,” and officials met directly with “President [Donald] Trump, Jared Kushner, Gary Cohn, K.T. McFarland, and Cabinet Secretaries Rick Perry, Steven Mnuchin, Mike Pompeo, Rex Tillerson, James Mattis, and Wilbur Ross.” This access, the report explains, “yielded promises from high-level government officials to support IP3’s efforts with Saudi officials.”

One particular figure who stands out in the House report is longtime Trump ally and former Trump inauguration chair Thomas Barrack, whom the report alleges was attempting to seek a position in the administration at the same time as he was “(1) promoting the interests of U.S. corporations seeking to profit from the transfer of nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia; (2) advocating on behalf of foreign interests seeking to obtain this U.S. nuclear technology; and (3) taking steps for his own company, Colony NorthStar, to profit from the same proposals he was advancing with the Administration.” (The New York Times reported separately Monday that federal prosecutors are looking into Barrack's foreign entanglements in the Gulf region and their connection to the Trump campaign.) Also implicated in the report is former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, who served as an adviser to IP3. In 2016, the report alleges, Flynn told business partners about upcoming interactions with key officials in Russia and the Persian Gulf—including Vladimir Putin—and “offered to use these contacts to further IP3’s business interests.”

Exactly. We will never be able to deal with them properly so long as the west is dependent on imported oil. (Not merely Arab oil.)

Around 10 pct of oil imported by the U.S. comes from KSA, but almost 30 pct comes from OPEC members. The oil purchases involve the petrodollar which is coupled with the military industrial complex, which profits from arms sold to other countries. Arms deals are also used for strategic advantages, which includes supplying arms to rival nations to ensure permanent warfare. Meanwhile, the same petrodollar is used as a reserve currency to maintain some control over the rest of the global economy.

That's why the U.S. has been buying oil from KSA by churning out petrodollars and then selling weapons or providing military support to the same, and then providing military support to Israel, too, and then threatening or attacking countries like Iraq, Libya, and Iran which have tried to or are moving away from the petrodollar.

While I disagree with the death penalty, I think if you are going to have it, then it should be public. And beheading seems humane enough.

While I disagree with the death penalty, I think if you are going to have it, then it should be public. And beheading seems humane enough.

Beheading isn't particularly humane.

Experiments were done during the French revolution, in which victims of the guillotine continued blinking for as long as they could, and arranged for friends to time how long they were able to do so.

Further experiments with french guillotine victims (the last french use of the guillotine for execution was in 1977) suggest that they are able to hear and respond (by opening their eyes and looking at the speaker) to their names. The fact is that beheaded people can apparently remain both conscious, and capable of voluntary motor action for at least thirty seconds - that's a very long time indeed for someone to be aware of massive and invariably fatal injuries.

It seems highly implausible to me that this is a fairly painless last half minute.

https://www.damninteresting.com/lucid-decapitation/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/business/us-oil-exports-saudi-arabia/index.html

Move over, Saudi Arabia. America is about to steal the kingdom's energy exporting crown.

The United States will surpass Saudi Arabia later this year in exports of oil, natural gas liquids and petroleum products, like gasoline, according to energy research firm Rystad Energy.
That milestone, driven by the transformative shale boom, would make the United States the world's leading exporter of oil and liquids. That has never happened since Saudi Arabia began selling oil overseas in the 1950s, Rystad said in a report Thursday.
"It's nothing short of remarkable," said Ryan Fitzmaurice, energy strategist at Rabobank. "Ten years ago, no one thought it could happen."

No. We really don't need Saudi oil. Trump just has financial ties with SA so it doesn't matter how disgusting the kingdom is, as long as Trump gets his money. Besides, we need to use less oil and move toward more renewable fuels, which won't happen until Orange man is gone.

30 seconds isn't long to suffer.
That's easy for you to say
Killing people in any fashion involves some violence.
...which, if true, is a good reason not to do it.

It's probably not true though. Anaesthetic or sedative overdose is almost certainly far more humane than decapitation, and there are a lot of options to do that.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning and other forms of asphyxia which do not involve Carbon Dioxide concentration increases in the body are also painless - anoxia is described by those who survive it as being quite pleasant.

Decapitation and hanging are barbaric, and I would suggest that even if one were supportive of the death penalty, it would be immoral to support it via those means.

Filling a prisoner's cell with carbon monoxide while he sleeps would be entirely non-violent.

Saudi Arabia Uncovered - YouTube

Great documentary. Narrated by a woman with a British accent, Tuppence Middleton.

Isn't that a great name? She should be doing commentary and then sign of with "and that's my tuppence worth."

I have not seen the documentary. I probably will, later. But some preliminary thoughts

1. KSA is not a "friend". They are an ally, and often quite an uneasy one.
2. KSA is strategically important due to its location and due to its oil reserves. That is not easily thrown away.
3. Kashoggi (who was more of a Muslim Brotherhood apologist than a real journalist, let's face it!) murder notwithstanding, MbS has done some reforms, like loosened restrictions on women.
4. The rulers of KSA are less radical/religious than the populace. If the Saudi monarchy were to fall, what replaces it will probably be even more Islamic, a lot worse for human rights, and would be hostile to us. Iran is the opposite. The rulers are more radical/religious than the populace. Should the Iranian theocracy fall, what replaces it would probably be more secular, better for human rights and more friendly towards us.

Canada had Prime Minister Stephen Harper
A lot better than the current occupant who gives Islamic terrorists a 10 million dollars (Canadian) reward for building IEDs and throwing grenades killing American medics.

We don't need Saudi oil,
As far as actual deliveries we don't, and much of it has to do with the fracking revolution.
Guess who is opposed to fracking and building pipelines to move all that . A hint: it ain't Trump.
That said, should something happen to the oil currently being pumped form Saudi fields, the entire world oil market would go haywire, and US would not be spared, no matter how little oil we physically get from KSA. Physical oil and oil as a commodity on financial markets are not congruous.

but Trump has financial connections to SA. That's a large part of the problem, imo.
He is an international businessman, and expected to have financial connections . I believe he should have been forced to divest before taking office, but I do not think this has anything to do with it, imo. Saudi Arabia has been important for many decades.

The man doesn't care how disgusting any of the countries he has business ties to are. It's evident to anyone with half a brain. Just sayin'.
Neither have previous presidents who have dealt with KSA. Under a hypothetical President Hillary, she'd have to deal with KSA just as much as Obama. Bushes or her husband. It's just Realpolitik.

As to Saudi seeking a nuclear weapon, that is because Iranian mullahs are getting ready to build one.

Last edited:
Filling a prisoner's cell with carbon monoxide while he sleeps would be entirely non-violent.
Now i lay me down to snooze,
I pray my appeal it doesn't lose,
If i should die despite my petition,
I pray the show, Cops, reruns my episode.

30 seconds isn't long to suffer.
That's easy for you to say
Killing people in any fashion involves some violence.
...which, if true, is a good reason not to do it.

It's probably not true though. Anaesthetic or sedative overdose is almost certainly far more humane than decapitation, and there are a lot of options to do that.

Seconded.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning and other forms of asphyxia which do not involve Carbon Dioxide concentration increases in the body are also painless - anoxia is described by those who survive it as being quite pleasant.

CO isn't exactly a pleasant way to go. Nitrogen is fine.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/business/us-oil-exports-saudi-arabia/index.html

Move over, Saudi Arabia. America is about to steal the kingdom's energy exporting crown.

The United States will surpass Saudi Arabia later this year in exports of oil, natural gas liquids and petroleum products, like gasoline, according to energy research firm Rystad Energy.
That milestone, driven by the transformative shale boom, would make the United States the world's leading exporter of oil and liquids. That has never happened since Saudi Arabia began selling oil overseas in the 1950s, Rystad said in a report Thursday.
"It's nothing short of remarkable," said Ryan Fitzmaurice, energy strategist at Rabobank. "Ten years ago, no one thought it could happen."

No. We really don't need Saudi oil. Trump just has financial ties with SA so it doesn't matter how disgusting the kingdom is, as long as Trump gets his money. Besides, we need to use less oil and move toward more renewable fuels, which won't happen until Orange man is gone.

According to the EIA, shale oil won't last because it has low energy returns. That's why the industry had to incur significant levels of debt, burn through cash flows, lay off thousands of personnel, and sell off assets to deal with low oil prices. KSA will follow given higher water cuts in Ghawar.

Back
Top Bottom