• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

School Basketball Coach Suspended After His Team Drubbed Opponents 92-4

Evidently what's sportsmanlike is culturally constructed and subjective, and people's views of it make sense to themselves but are not necessarily communicable to others...

I'd like to see the game in question. Somehow I doubt there was anything other than kids playing basketball and the losing team giving it their all the whole time. Basketball games usually don't make it to 94-4 without breaking into a fight if any malice was involved. Besides, a quick google search reveals this is not the first time a blowout like this happened. Why all of a sudden a coach is punished now if that's something not known to be done before? Sounds to me like someone's mommy or daddy is on the school board. :cautious:
Well, for the same reason that the first few times various posters brought up concerns about trans athletes, the threads were a little interesting, and the second time they were brought up a few years later from the same court they were fairly annoying, and then when they were brought up this last year or so by the same folks, they were grating and everyone could clearly recognize the orientation of the position.

One point is an anomaly, two points gives a suggestion of effect, three points gives a clear trend, and once a bad trend has been identified, any additional action on that trend requires response.

In short it takes a few instances to really generate a clear-enough case.
Except that it's not the same parties. In fact, the only thing similar is the blow-out. Different coaches different teams different school boards. What is it about this coach that sets him apart from the others? Is it written anywhere in the school board's rules for coaches to avoid blowouts? My understanding is, the coach (losing team) can just bench everyone forcing a forfeit & the referee would award the win to the other team only with fewer points. The forfeiting team getting penalized (up to disqualified from the tournament entirely if done too many times) doesn't help teams in this situation either. So for them to get all high and mighty about sportsmanship while having rules in place that force underperforming teams to grind through a game where their opponents are clearly holding back is actually more humiliating than going down like warriors.

Maybe I am just being an ass but I don't see how holding back helps anyone improve their basketball skills win or lose anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How in the heck is playing a team that you give up two baskets to (presumably) improving your skill on anything? If anything, you could work on ball control, killing the clock, passing, any number of things that doesn't involve humiliating your opponents.

After repeatedly giving up the ball you'll learn at some point to change tactics. You may not win but somewhere down the line, you'll find something that works. It's just unfortunate that the game is not only about passing as you'd have to do the same for defending & scoring. Maybe the losing team needs a new coach & captain. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd love to actually watch this game. I bet 92-4 was a combination of poor training, lesser athletic abilities, giving up on defending & not capitalizing on possessions by taking nothing but easy shots.
At a certain point in time, it’s just disheartening to be so outclassed. At that point, very little learning takes place. Remember these are high school
Students—adolescents. No one is suggesting the better skilled team does not deserve to win. A good team, under the guidance of a good coach, can manage to build skills without shooting baskets. The losing coach can also help his team by helping them learn from watching specific players or how certain players work together, etc. maybe even score a little more.

My assumption is that no one has NBA aspirations on either team. Maybe college ball for one or two players. But all of them, from the very best to the absolute worst, can learn from playing together. As a parent, what I wanted my kids to learn was to enjoy being active, to gain skills, and to learn something about being a good person. I liked their coaches who were good people. I really disliked the coaches ( and parents on the sideline) who showed poor sportsmanship.

Except that it's not the same parties. In fact, the only thing similar is the blow-out. Different coaches different teams different school boards. What is it about this coach that sets him apart from the others? Is it written anywhere in the school board's rules for coaches to avoid blowouts? My understanding is, the coach (losing team) can just bench everyone forcing a forfeit & the referee would award the win to the other team only with fewer points. The forfeiting team getting penalized (up to disqualified from the tournament entirely if done too many times) doesn't help teams in this situation either. So for them to get all high and mighty about sportsmanship while having rules in place that force underperforming teams to grind through a game where their opponents are clearly holding back is actually more humiliating than going down like warriors.

Maybe I am just being an ass but I don't see how holding back helps anyone improve their basketball skills win or lose anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How in the heck is playing a team that you give up two baskets to (presumably) improving your skill on anything? If anything, you could work on ball control, killing the clock, passing, any number of things that doesn't involve humiliating your opponents.

After repeatedly giving up the ball you'll learn at some point to change tactics.
92 to 4 isn't a "tactics" issue. It is similar to what the score would be if I played Lebron James in one-on-one. One team was AAA grade, the other was BBB grade, not remotely in the same league. Scores like that don't happen without an aggressive amount of disparity.
You may not win but somewhere down the line, you'll find something that works. It's just unfortunate that the game is not only about passing as you'd have to do the same for defending & scoring. Maybe the losing team needs a new coach & captain. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd love to actually watch this game. I bet 92-4 was a combination of poor training, lesser athletic abilities, giving up on defending & not capitalizing on possessions by taking nothing but easy shots.
Whatever you want to tell yourself. This was a result of two wildly incompatible programs "playing" each other.

Learning how to lose gloriously is a lesson I'm happy to have learned. Can't tell you how many times I got 100% owned on the basketball court with no coach, school board, or referee, and still showed my appreciation to the assholes for a wild ride. I used to enjoy talking about those moments I figured out their weakness (though they simply changed up) and was able to use what I learned against people in other towns. Losing in so many incredibly bad ways made me impervious to all lessor losses and earned me above average status on the streets of Central Islip NY Wreck center after learning from the roughest and toughest and most skilled in the neighborhood. I used to go to towns like Smithtown, Hempstead & Amneiville to wreak havoc on the no so hood hood over there. Fun memories. I was playing against a gang named "The Legion of Doom" (stupid name) where rap artists like Keith Murray were a member (played against him as well). What these kids got isn't all that bad because I got my ass literally kicked (broken nose, a concussion here and there) a few times for not backing off the defense. All that and losing to boot. :ROFLMAO:

I just really liked basketball until the Knicks made me kick the habit. I get it though, 92-4 is not a good look for high school games and sportsmanship. But what's there to do when they need that experience? As long as the winning team ain't breaking noses & being verbally abusive but are encouraging the other team to keep going and showing them respect for staying with it I see no foul.

92 to 4 isn't a "tactics" issue. It is similar to what the score would be if I played Lebron James in one-on-one.

I felt that. :ROFLMAO: But I bet after losing against LeBron for 32 minutes if you were able to play against the you before then you'd win (the you that Played against Lebron that is).

Learning how to lose gloriously is a lesson I'm happy to have learned. Can't tell you how many times I got 100% owned on the basketball court with no coach, school board, or referee, and still showed my appreciation to the assholes for a wild ride. I used to enjoy talking about those moments I figured out their weakness (though they simply changed up) and was able to use what I learned against people in other towns. Losing in so many incredibly bad ways made me impervious to all lessor losses and earned me above average status on the streets of Central Islip NY Wreck center after learning from the roughest and toughest and most skilled in the neighborhood. I used to go to towns like Smithtown, Hempstead & Amneiville to wreak havoc on the no so hood hood over there. Fun memories. I was playing against a gang named "The Legion of Doom" (stupid name) where rap artists like Keith Murray were a member (played against him as well). What these kids got isn't all that bad because I got my ass literally kicked (broken nose, a concussion here and there) a few times for not backing off the defense. All that and losing to boot. :ROFLMAO:

I just really liked basketball until the Knicks made me kick the habit. I get it though, 92-4 is not a good look for high school games and sportsmanship. But what's there to do when they need that experience? As long as the winning team ain't breaking noses & being verbally abusive but are encouraging the other team to keep going and showing them respect for staying with it I see no foul.
Difference is, you stepped into a hard court on a hard street accepting that it was hard, so as to learn hard lessons.

That's not what this game was.

In basketball players feed off each other and get better as a result. To play against another player holding back is doing you a disservice. That's all I'm saying.

Difference is, you stepped into a hard court on a hard street accepting that it was hard, so as to learn hard lessons.

And those are all the lessons of competitive sports. High school sports build character not from holding hands and singing kumbaya but through team efforts win or lose, keep going and try to overcome challenges. If they lose against the best team playing their best they learn how to defeat teams that are not as good. Heck next time around their chances of beating the best team increase as they feed off the experience and grow. But to ask a team to hold back is doing nobody on the court favors.

I wonder what the players have to say about that game.

And those are all the lessons of competitive sports. High school sports build character not from holding hands and singing kumbaya but through team efforts win or lose, keep going and try to overcome challenges. If they lose against the best team playing their best they learn how to defeat teams that are not as good. Heck next time around their chances of beating the best team increase as they feed off the experience and grow. But to ask a team to hold back is doing nobody on the court favors.

I wonder what the players have to say about that game.
There is more to winning than the point spread.

Nobody is suggesting holding hands and singing campfire songs. People are saying Don’t be a jerk if you can help it. Patronizing the other team is awful just as running up a score unnecessarily.

Even in the pros, players and coaches and fans appreciate generous players.

In basketball players feed off each other and get better as a result. To play against another player holding back is doing you a disservice. That's all I'm saying.
That is simply untrue. "Holding back" does not mean playing poorly, it just means not running up the score. You'd still have to try to move the ball against a superior defense and defend against a superior offense.

Defending and scoring against a player playing at 50% is learning from 50% of what's offered. Its like saying you learn as much from a punching bag as you do from a boxer in the ring.

OR: It had been discussed with the coach earlier that running up the score was unsportsmanlike and counter to whatever principles the school was trying to impart to its student body----and the coach ran up the score anyway.
Sure, why not? You have no evidence that this happened, but because the coach is an asshole, it is certainly consistent with that.

OR: It had been discussed with the coach earlier that running up the score was unsportsmanlike and counter to whatever principles the school was trying to impart to its student body----and the coach ran up the score anyway.
Sure, why not? You have no evidence that this happened, but because the coach is an asshole, it is certainly consistent with that.
My post was obviously speculation.

Blowouts happen in the NBA too. I mean not exactly 92-4 but large enough margin to suspend the coach for a game or two for the same reason.

Running as fast as you can is the goal of a race. Most runners understand that. It is not poor sportsmanship to embrace the goal of the sport. I find it fascinating you are unable to grasp this simple point. There would be no reason for them to feel humiliated.
I was humiliated to have my bottom of the barrel athletic ability put on such public display.
Winning by as many points as possible is not the goal of team sport. The fact you are either unable or refuse to grasp that good sportsmanship means not running up the score while others can, reflects solely on you.
The 'goal' of team sports is to win, and you win by playing to your utmost and scoring as many points as it is possible for you to score. Sometimes, all the points you can get isn't enough and you'll lose.

In some sports in some states, competition rules limit the scope (I mentioned some earlier), which indicates that there is a general acceptance of that sportsmanship in some areas to actually legislate it. Having played a number of youth and high school sports, and officiated high school and college sports, I know there are plenty of coaches who also embrace that idea of sportsmanship. I also know there are plenty who don't.

No one needs your understanding, permission or approval on this issue. You continue to do you - defend asshole behavior with progressively thoughtless questions and examples.
I didn't try to give my "permission". I'm discussing something on a message board.

My post was obviously speculation.
And as I said, since you have determined the character of the coach from the outcome of a single game (not just his behaviour in one game mind, his entire character of 'asshole'), I was merely trying to be helpful to our audience to show how you are able to infer other things that might have happened that are consistent with the coach being an asshole.

Back
Top Bottom