• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Science: fulfilling the promises Jesus never has

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
CNN: How a 3-D printed arm gave hope to boy maimed in bomb blast
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/19/t...e-hope-to-boy-maimed-in-bomb-blast/index.html

Daniel was non-communicative when we first met. He stared, sullen and resigned, off into the middle distance. I gave him my tablet to play with while I worked, and he did what any other teenager would do: found a video game and started playing. Only he used his stumps instead of his fingers. Little by little, he began to trust me and started to show some interest in what I was doing. Every time I got frustrated, or something wasn't working right, I just had to look over at Daniel and nothing else mattered. I had to make it work.

After a few days, and a few failures, we managed to fit an arm on Daniel. He wasn't yet strong enough to make the motion that would make the hand clench -- that would come later -- but he could manipulate the hand to his mouth. I fitted it with a tin spoon and took him to the mess tent. We sat him in front of a bowl of goat and pumpkin stew.

It was here, for the first time in two years, that Daniel fed himself. He looked over at me and, slowly, a little smirk curled his lips. He turned back, looked at the small crowd that had gathered around him, broke into the biggest grin you'd ever seen, then went back in for more.

2014-1-13-Daniel.jpg

On the other side of the fence (or rather, on the other side of sanity):

Mark 16:17, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues."

Isn't it great to live in a universe where no gods actually show up, humanity can use reason before mythology to give health, quality of life and hope?

[Christian] But, that stuff didn't really come from "science," it came from God and the Bible, therefore Christianity rather than science deserves the credit for this! [/Chrsitian]

God guides the hand of the surgeon, and the mind of the scientist, while simultaneously not abrogating their free will. It's like wave particle duality. See above.

God guides the hand of the surgeon, and the mind of the scientist, while simultaneously not abrogating their free will. It's like wave particle duality. See above.

Plagiarism. They never give their religion's god credit for the works of bandits or politicians. In the absence of fulfilment of what he promise he would do, he gets credit for something he never even suggested he would. Of course, because the snakeoil salesmen who wrote those tales never imagined there would be something like science (medical and otherwise) that would spectacularly weave wonders, and which would have been irresistible to steal its thunder.

But the modern ones are not blind or idle to take advantage of the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom