• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

scientific proof of an idea i have

BH

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Muslim
Hi all. This question is economic as well as scientific in nature.

I have an idea and it is, at least in my area, most people can do most of the jobs available. how could this be proven scientifically?

By a controlled experiment with randomized participants.

This is a statistics problem, so your hypothesis can be supported by careful choice of parameters and definitions. While the definition of "job" is fairly specific, "most" is a very vague parameter.

Since there are always more convenience store clerks than brain surgeons, and a brain surgeon could certainly make change, any brain surgeon could work in a convenience store, but other clerks have no business being in an operating room.

Since you are concerned with your area, define the boundaries of your area and who qualifies as an area resident. Then determine an upper boundary for "most" jobs, in terms of skill, education, or whatever you like. Next determine how many people in your sample area could perform these jobs in a satisfactory way. You'll need to choose a percentage of the sample to qualify as "most".

There are those who do not consider economics to be science because any result can be obtained by judicious choice of data.

Skills take time and training, four year apprenticeships to become a mechanic or boilermaker, etc....you can't just take someone off the street to the work.

Skills take time and training, four year apprenticeships to become a mechanic or boilermaker, etc....you can't just take someone off the street to the work.
Part of my work was manufacturing and test engineering hich included methods and reducing skill level for tasks. I know.

Some people have a knack so to speak for mechanical work. Some do not. Nature vs nurture? Don't know. Motivation is an important factor. Somebody who does not take naturally to a skill who is motivated can learn and do well.

Pick anybody and give then training for welding, mechanics, or boilermaker and not all we be good at it.

Electronic technicians who have two tear degrees do not all perform the same. Some do poorly. Same with engineers.

I thnk a lot of it with mecnaical skills goes back to what people do as kids.

Hi all. This question is economic as well as scientific in nature.

I have an idea and it is, at least in my area, most people can do most of the jobs available. how could this be proven scientifically?

Sorry BH, but I totally disagree! I mean if someone is hungry enough, they'll do any job. However, some people are just more suited for a particular job than others. When I was a banker, I was what's called an "Relationship Manager". My job was really just to meet with clients or prospects all day long and keep them happy. I'd take them golfing, skiing, touring their plant, or really just hanging out. I loved it. I hated being stuck behind the desk. My assistant on the other hand, totally different. She hating doing any networking or meeting with clients. I'd take her as much as I could to meet with clients (to help with underwriting); but it was torture for her. But then she'd sit at her desk typing away all day long on a credit writeup. We're totally different. Mechanical engineers are totally different than scientists and/or musicians. There are some people who are born leaders. Some are followers. I found that I am more of a follower. I had a company. Sold the majority shares. No longer am the boss. Love it. I had an uncle who use to say that it's not true that we are all equal. The reality is that we're all unique. And we tend to find the job that fits us the most. Just my very unscientific opinion!

Last edited:
Part of my work was manufacturing and test engineering hich included methods and reducing skill level for tasks. I know.

Some people have a knack so to speak for mechanical work. Some do not. Nature vs nurture? Don't know. Motivation is an important factor. Somebody who does not take naturally to a skill who is motivated can learn and do well.
Personally, I think it's a combination. To excel requires the aptitude, training can't replace that, but it generally can make someone who is decent at the job.

I think the better questions are: which percentage of all jobs require special skills that only a minority of the population can, and must, do?

Of the remainder, what is the largest intersectional plurality of jobs for which "available workers" overlaps?

Is this the majority of jobs?

What happens when "approval sorting" happens wherein all jobs are filled with the least generally useful person capable of filling the job doing so, starting with the job for which there are the fewest options for to populate it with work?

I assume we would be left over with the population of the most skilled generalists, which would be useful for guaranteeing any position that opens may be filled competently as is possible.

But, what is the remainder, and then how would we socially see to the viability of this very important "failover" capability?

Does knowledge of math or science mean one is good at applying math and science?

All skills require a learning curve and experience. From what I have seen motivation is more important than natural ability whatever that means.

In basketball both Larry Byrd and Magic Johnson were known for spending hours shooting baskets throughout their careers. Regardless of the skill you have to be willing and motivated to make the effort.

Back in the 80s I was working in New Hampshire. There was a compamy Micro Precision Ball Bearing.

One of their products was a small ball bearing with very low friction. There were preople who leaned to polish the insides of the bearing race with a toothpick and a specialal tissue paper. Not everyone could learn to do it well.

In companies there were often such people who developed skill in a partcular task most could not do.

Back
Top Bottom