• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

SCOTUS further restricts racial preferences

What do you mean by ‘inferior degrees?’
If academics at an institution gets watered down because the admitted student body can't keep up, then the college is offering "inferior degrees". See my experience at a metro Atlanta college I described above. They are offering inferior degrees compared to themselves just a few years ago!
On one hand you acknowledge that it will now be easier to discriminate in favor of the wealthy but then you go say ( as you have in the past) that schools use affirmative action to discriminate (in favor of of minorities.). Can you explain?
I think he means that without SAT/ACT it is easier to discriminate in favor of the wealthy (essays etc. are easier for them to game). Not that ending "affirmative action" makes it easier to discriminate in favor of the wealthy.
There: you've hit it: If a university admits students who can't keep up then the status of the university declines.

SAT/ACT scores are not as predictive of future success as they were intended and promoted as being. Universities have an enormous amount invested in ensuring that students admitted will be successful at that university and in their future careers. They are not shooting themselves in the foot so much as recognizing that reality. SAT scores are not the be all/end all at predicting student academic success. If they were, universities would not be dispensing with them as an admissions tool.

At the same time, the number of students aged 18-19 who typically comprise the bulk of incoming freshmen is dwindling sharply. For the next several years, admissions/the world will be dealing with students whose K-12 education was compromised by COVID-19–they are not as well prepared. I am expecting to see at most public universities, anyway, smaller student bodies and more remedial classes. Professors have already begun eliminating a lot of more rigorous mathematics—or mathematics from their classes to accommodate those students.
Idiocracy has arrived. The correct move is not to remove SAT testing or other standards but to simply graduate less qualified students. If that then causes too few quality people in the workforce then capitalism will fix (through higher wages) the incentive more students to increase real skills and capabilities to become quality candidates colleges should look for.

Otherwise the world enters idiocracy where standards become so low no one can function with past technology already invented. Humanity regression....
Well, according to your 'logic', dispensing with the SAT as an admission tool WILL result in less qualified students being admitted, so success!

In California for example black enrollment declined. But that just means that it was overinflated before the affirmative action ban.
I believe the black population in California is on the decline so that may have something to do with it.

Waah, waah, a SCOTUS ruling did not go my way, so the court is illegitimate.
Congressional Black Caucus chair condemns Supreme Court ruling on affirmative action

Some of the reporting would have you thinking that this ruling was aimed specifically at stiffing blacks out of a college place by neglecting to mention that it was about the blatant discrimination against Asians.

You got the title of your thread wrong. It should be, “SCOTUS Restores Racial Preferences for Slow, Lazy White Kids, Especially Legacy Dipshits”
You are wrong. Not having racial preferences is not having racial preferences. And people of any race can be legacy dipshits.
As to slow and lazy, what does it say when somebody even slower and lazier is admitted because of their skin color or because their ancestors come from a Spanish-speaking country?

There: you've hit it: If a university admits students who can't keep up then the status of the university declines.
You agree with this but still want objective metrics removed in favor of subjective ones?
SAT/ACT scores are not as predictive of future success as they were intended and promoted as being.
They are not perfect, but then again, nothing is.
These scores are a much better predictor than essays or personality scores. Or, for that matter, race. And yet you want race to be considered but not SAT scores.
Universities have an enormous amount invested in ensuring that students admitted will be successful at that university and in their future careers.
Not necessarily. Many colleges these days are more interested in "equity" than academic rigor. I already mentioned the local college in Atlanta whose standards have slipped precipitously over the last few years.
They are not shooting themselves in the foot so much as recognizing that reality. SAT scores are not the be all/end all at predicting student academic success. If they were, universities would not be dispensing with them as an admissions tool.
They are not be-all, end-all, but then again, no single metric is. They are still a very useful metric.
The universities are dispensing with them because of ideology, not because they lack predictive power for performance. Objective metrics can't be gamed. Subjective ones like essays and "personality scores" can be gamed easily by adcoms.

You got the title of your thread wrong. It should be, “SCOTUS Restores Racial Preferences for Slow, Lazy White Kids, Especially Legacy Dipshits”
You are wrong. Not having racial preferences is not having racial preferences. And people of any race can be legacy dipshits.
As to slow and lazy, what does it say when somebody even slower and lazier is admitted because of their skin color or because their ancestors come from a Spanish-speaking country?

No, but, you see, in reality, as opposed to your Faux News fantasy world, whites have always been racially preferred, and now will be so again as a result of this ruling. As to legacy dipshits, are you seriously going to tell me that there are many, if any, black legacy admissions? Also, when you characterize people of color as ”slower and lazier” than white people, you should think carefully about your self-revelation. It’s not a good look.

You agree with this but still want objective metrics removed in favor of subjective ones?
SAT/ACT scores are not as predictive of future success as they were intended and promoted as being.
They are not perfect, but then again, nothing is.
These scores are a much better predictor than essays or personality scores. Or, for that matter, race. And yet you want race to be considered but not SAT scores.
Universities have an enormous amount invested in ensuring that students admitted will be successful at that university and in their future careers.
Not necessarily. Many colleges these days are more interested in "equity" than academic rigor. I already mentioned the local college in Atlanta whose standards have slipped precipitously over the last few years.
They are not shooting themselves in the foot so much as recognizing that reality. SAT scores are not the be all/end all at predicting student academic success. If they were, universities would not be dispensing with them as an admissions tool.
They are not be-all, end-all, but then again, no single metric is. They are still a very useful metric.
The universities are dispensing with them because of ideology, not because they lack predictive power for performance. Objective metrics can't be gamed. Subjective ones like essays and "personality scores" can be gamed easily by adcoms.
Who do you think is going to be a more successful student at an IVY league school? Someone who did well in school and did well on the SATs (but not scoring a perfect score) or someone who achieved a perfect score because their entire life was about building the perfect resume to gain admittance to an Ivy League school? And who took extra cram courses to score well on a test, rather than took classes to learn and to learn what it is that they actually liked?

What benefit do you imagine schools gain if they admit students who are unlikely to do well in their classes?

I've certainly spent more time talking to admissions counselors and professors at schools and have sat in a lot of classrooms myself, not to mention having raised kids who went on to college. I have an idea of what does and does not make someone a successful student. Perfect GPA isn't as predictive as you might think, even if the student took all the AP classes available to them. Perfect SAT scores are not, either. All a perfect SAT score means is that someone is good at taking that particular type of test. SATs are much better indicators of socioeconomic status of the student's parents than of the student's actual academic ability.

This is not the 1950's anymore. Universities and businesses across many different specialties are discovering that increased diversity increases productivity in everything from IT to medical research and practice.

When you have a more diverse group in a school, a business, a classroom, a team, you gain multiple perspectives instead of the groupthink that comes from only admitting students who all took exactly the same courses and scored exactly the same perfect scores and..that's all there is to those students.

SAT scores and GPA do not indicate maturity, which IS a big predictor of academic success although that is difficult to measure or assess. SAT scores do not tell you if the student is suffering from acute depression, is able to think and act independently, is able to get along well with others.

More recent studies show that GPAs are more predictive of future academic success compared with SAT or ACT scores. Other studies show that the best predictor of academic success at a university is parental income.

On one hand you acknowledge that it will now be easier to discriminate in favor of the wealthy but then you go say ( as you have in the past) that schools use affirmative action to discriminate (in favor of of minorities.). Can you explain?
When you water down the classes you water down the value of the credential they get for completing the classes.

I don’t object to getting rid of the ACT/SAT. I know the intent behind the tests but I also know how applicants with enough money to take classes to ace the test and to take many practice tests have an unfair advantage over students who don’t have access to such extra prep—for a test! Not for actual achievement in future academic achievement.

Moreover, I’ve read multiple interviews/articles by various admissions people who point out the limitations of those tests in predicting future academic success.
Getting rid of them actually favor the wealthy because the test scores are harder to game than the other things.

And we must eliminate predatory student loans and do more for student loan forgiveness.
What is a "predatory student loan" exactly? And I do not think even more student loan forgiveness (that decision is forthcoming, most likely this morning) is the way to go. If somebody took six figures in loans for a BA degree at some fancy private college, then why should people who went to a state school charging 1/10 of the tuition (or did not go to college at all) pay for that spoiled student's college education through our taxes?
Predatory student loans are a real thing. There have been a lot of scam colleges that exist to get the student loan money and pass the students, not teach them much of anything. The degrees from such places are pretty much worthless.

No, but, you see, in reality, as opposed to your Faux News fantasy world, whites have always been racially preferred, and now will be so again as a result of this ruling. As to legacy dipshits, are you seriously going to tell me that there are many, if any, black legacy admissions? Also, when you characterize people of color as ”slower and lazier” than white people, you should think carefully about your self-revelation. It’s not a good look.
Once again, you are in effect saying that disparate outcome proves discrimination.

I don’t object to getting rid of the ACT/SAT. I know the intent behind the tests but I also know how applicants with enough money to take classes to ace the test and to take many practice tests have an unfair advantage over students who don’t have access to such extra prep—for a test! Not for actual achievement in future academic achievement.

Moreover, I’ve read multiple interviews/articles by various admissions people who point out the limitations of those tests in predicting future academic success.
Getting rid of them actually favor the wealthy because the test scores are harder to game than the other things.
Nope.

When you water down the classes you water down the value of the credential they get for completing the classes.
What is your data that supports that dispensing with SAT and ACT as part of the admissions process will cause universities to water down their degrees?

In another post, you assert that dispensing with the ACT will favor the wealthy. Are you asserting that wealthy students are less well prepared than not wealthy students? Because that seems like a remarkable shift from your earlier positions in other threads about the SAT.

No, but, you see, in reality, as opposed to your Faux News fantasy world,
I do not watch Fox News. I might retort with a reference to your MSNBC fantasy world, but that may be too generous. I suspect you prefer less mainstream outlets. Mother Jones, The Intercept, etc.
whites have always been racially preferred, and now will be so again as a result of this ruling.
I agree whites were preferred in the past. But for the past 50 years, blacks and hispanics have been preferred.
With this ruling, there should be no racial preferences, one way or another.
I suspect though that your worldview is so skewed that you view neutral policies and a lack of preference for blacks as "preferring whites". And you are still ignoring Asians.
As to legacy dipshits, are you seriously going to tell me that there are many, if any, black legacy admissions?
Yes, I am. Do you have any evidence that there are no, or not a significant number, of black legacies?
Also, when you characterize people of color as ”slower and lazier” than white people, you should think carefully about your self-revelation. It’s not a good look.
You characterize white (and presumably Asian) people with better stats than admitted blacks as "slow and lazy". What does that say about people who were admitted because they had the right skin color?

Who do you think is going to be a more successful student at an IVY league school? Someone who did well in school and did well on the SATs (but not scoring a perfect score) or someone who achieved a perfect score because their entire life was about building the perfect resume to gain admittance to an Ivy League school?
I think both of these students are likely to do very well. Who is less likely to do well is somebody who got in with SAT scores well below those of the rest of the student body simply because of his or her race.
Let's look at Harvard stats again, shall we. I took the graph I posted previously from Harvard Crimson. Here is an excerpt:
Harvard Crimson said:
A Crimson analysis of the previously confidential dataset — which spans admissions cycles starting with the Class of 2000 and ends with the cycle for the Class of 2017 — revealed that Asian-Americans admitted to Harvard earned an average SAT score of 767 across all sections. Every section of the SAT has a maximum score of 800.
By comparison, white admits earned an average score of 745 across all sections, Hispanic-American admits earned an average of 718, Native-American and Native-Hawaiian admits an average of 712, and African-American admits an average of 704.
This shows that not even Asian students generally have the perfect score. But they do, on average, very well on the SAT.
767 is 99th percentile for reading and writing and 96-98th for math. White average, 745, is 97-99th and 94-96th percentile respectively, still a very good result. When we get down to blacks, 704 is 93-96/91-93th percentiles. A good score for most universities for sure, but they would never have gotten a second look at Harvard if not for their race.

And who took extra cram courses to score well on a test, rather than took classes to learn and to learn what it is that they actually liked?
Why do you assume those who got admitted with mediocre stats but preferred skin color are more likely to take classes "to learn and to learn what it is that they actually liked"? This thread is about racial preferences.

What benefit do you imagine schools gain if they admit students who are unlikely to do well in their classes?
The benefit to the bigwigs is that their student body has a more politically correct racial breakdown. Even if they have to dumb down classes somewhat. In the case of Harvard, they give such a huge boost for being black, that their freshman class is 15% black. That is even more than percentage of blacks in the population at large!

As to not being able to keep up with the curriculum, some colleges plan to hide that by getting rid of some grades. In the name of "equity" of course.
To help new students adapt, some colleges are eliminating grades
NPR said:
"These efforts are meant to improve learning outcomes, as well as to be fair and advance equity, especially for new students and transfer students," Lewis said.
You eliminate SATs so you get crappier students. To hide that, you eliminate grades. Hooray for "equity"!

Perfect GPA isn't as predictive as you might think, even if the student took all the AP classes available to them. Perfect SAT scores are not, either.
Who is talking about perfect GPA or perfect score?
But a good GPA and a good SAT means that the student is more likely to succeed than a student with a mediocre SAT and GPA. That student would be more likely to succeed at an institution that is a better fit for their aptitude. It's not Harvard or bust. There are many good schools a notch less selective than the Ivys.
All a perfect SAT score means is that someone is good at taking that particular type of test. SATs are much better indicators of socioeconomic status of the student's parents than of the student's actual academic ability.
It's difficult to disentangle a student's actual academic ability from the family socioeconomic status. A student with successful parents is beneficiary not only of the family's greater financial resources, but he or she inherited parents' genes (nature) and was raised by them (nurture). It would be interesting to see how for example a family who won the lottery compares to a family that is successful through professional employment in their offspring's SAT scores.
This is not the 1950's anymore. Universities and businesses across many different specialties are discovering that increased diversity increases productivity in everything from IT to medical research and practice.
Why is diversity hailed only for mainstream universities but not HBCUs? With HBCUs the lack of diversity is a selling point. A bit of a hypocrisy there.
I do not have a problem with diversity. I have a problem with racial discrimination and the idea that less capable students should be admitted in order to achieve a desired racial breakdown (in the case of Harvard, even above parity).
Universities should not have banned black students in the past. Harvard should not have discriminated against Jewish students in the past. That was as wrong as the current discrimination they practice.
When you have a more diverse group in a school, a business, a classroom, a team, you gain multiple perspectives instead of the groupthink that comes from only admitting students who all took exactly the same courses and scored exactly the same perfect scores and..that's all there is to those students.
So what is your opinion of very non-diverse HBCUs. Is groupthink not a problem there? And again with "perfect scores". You do not need to restrict yourself to "perfect scores" to recognize that a student scoring 750 shows more aptitude than somebody scoring 700.
Groupthink, btw, can manifest itself other ways. Like hiring almost exclusively "progressive" faculty.
SAT scores and GPA do not indicate maturity, which IS a big predictor of academic success although that is difficult to measure or assess.
Neither does race. Nobody is saying SAT/GPA measure everything. But they are very good objective metrics of a student's academic performance.
SAT scores do not tell you if the student is suffering from acute depression, is able to think and act independently, is able to get along well with others.
Neither does race. So why do you insist race should be used, but SATs should not be.
More recent studies show that GPAs are more predictive of future academic success compared with SAT or ACT scores.
And both together are best. High school coursework is much broader and takes into account all four years of high school. But it suffers from significant differences between schools, so the numbers are not directly comparable. SAT is a test taken on one day, and measures a thinner slice of knowledge and skills, but it is equal for all test takers, and thus more comparable. These two metrics meausure different things, and both are very valuable.
Other studies show that the best predictor of academic success at a university is parental income.
Again, nature and nurture. Academic success is correlated (not perfectly, of course, but significantly) with income. And academically successful parents are more likely to have academically successful children. Both due to genes and due to the values and habits they pass on. Nature plus nurture, a powerful combo.

Predatory student loans are a real thing.
I understand that they are a real thing. But I wanted Toni to tell us what she understands predatory loans to be.
I suspect she thinks all, or most, of student loans are 'predatory'.
There have been a lot of scam colleges that exist to get the student loan money and pass the students, not teach them much of anything. The degrees from such places are pretty much worthless.
Right.

Back
Top Bottom