• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Seven Achievements by Joe Biden in 2021 That No One Is Talking About

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

1. Fighting Climate Change​

One of Biden's very first acts as president was to rejoin the Paris climate accord which former President Donald Trump had left.

2. Judicial Appointments​

While former President Trump's high-profile appointees to the U.S. Supreme Court are still making headlines, Biden has been quietly making a series of appointments to the federal courts.

The president has seen 40 federal judges confirmed so far—the most of any president in their first term since the late Ronald Reagan in 1981, and twice as many as Trump appointed during his first year.

3. The AUKUS Submarine Deal​

Though it caused significant anger in the French government, the AUKUS submarine deal between the U.S, U.K. and Australia can be viewed as a strategic success in efforts to confront China in the Pacific Ocean.

4. Pausing Federal Executions​

Former President Trump ended a 17-year pause on federal executions and 13 people were put to death between July, 2020 and January, 2021. Biden, an opponent of the federal death penalty, has reinstated the pause.

5. Transgender Service Members​

During his first week in office, Biden issued an executive order to end a ban on openly transgender people serving in the U.S. military. That restriction had been put in place by Trump.

6. Reuniting Migrant Families​

One of former President Trump's most controversial policies involved a zero-tolerance approach to undocumented migrants crossing into the U.S. through the southern border; policy that has been linked to an estimated 5,500 children being separated from their families.

7. Jobs, Wages and GDP​

While many Americans remain pessimistic about the U.S. economy amid inflation that's hit a 40-year high, Biden's first year in office has seen considerable improvements in jobs and wage growth.

The unemployment rate fell to just 4.2 percent in November—a 21-month low and jobless claims fell to their lowest levels since 1969 in early December.

Initial jobless claims for the week ending December 18 stood at a seasonally adjusted 205,000, largely unchanged from the previous week. This is below pre-pandemic levels and appears to indicate a strong labor market.

Wages and salaries paid by private businesses also rose 2.4 percent after inflation from January to October, while disposable income grew 3 percent.

Americans are also expected to receive the largest pay increase in over a decade next year, while U.S. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) rose by a revised annual rate of 2.3 percent in the third quarter, beating the previously estimated 2.1 percent.

While it remains to be seen how the new Omicron variant will affect the economy, broad indicators are positive heading into 2022.

Jobs & wages should be #1
It’s the the only item that is held dear by “swing” voters.

ETA: actually I just wanted to respond to this thread because this looked so pitiful with zero replies.:

FD5AFDE8-C388-477A-BACA-983B8EAA8713.jpeg

Jobs & wages should be #1
It’s the the only item that is held dear by “swing” voters.

ETA: actually I just wanted to respond to this thread because this looked so pitiful with zero replies.:

View attachment 36779
Your reply was only half an hour later and few on here will dispute the points anyway--the number of replies is far more about how controversial than how important.

What about the withdrawl from Afghanistan? Is the omission of that achievement from the list a tacit admission that it was a total FUBAR?

What about the withdrawl from Afghanistan? Is the omission of that achievement from the list a tacit admission that it was a total FUBAR?
Firstly, the vast majority of Americans wanted out of Afghanistan and didn't give a fuck about Afghanistan. Personally, I was of the Pottery Barn policy, but Biden has stopped taking my calls.

Secondly, what was a the FUBAR part? The one where the previous administration handed the nation to the Taliban? That the Afghan military collapsed instantly instead of over a period of months to year? That Biden did it immediately and got just about everyone we wanted and many of the Afghans that wanted out?
It was far from ideal, but it wasn't quite FUBAR as well. That would have included the Taliban holding US soldiers in front of cameras, asking for stuff... or just killing them. In a ridiculously perverse way, the Taliban assisted our retreat, least we have Trump to thank for that.

And come the 2024 election, almost no American is going to care about it. In fact, the only people that bring it up these days are the people that wanted us out anyway.

I would say, Biden managed to get Congress to pass an infrastructure bill (something that usually hasn't required an act of god to happen in the past) as well as a stimulus bill. The GOP has been almost entirely non-committal to governing, so doing these things was much harder than usual.

Overall, Biden has had a pretty good first year. The pandemic isn't going as planned, but that isn't because of issues coming from the White House. It is inertial from the previous Administration that sowed dissent regarding Covid-19.

Firstly, the vast majority of Americans wanted out of Afghanistan and didn't give a fuck about Afghanistan. Personally, I was of the Pottery Barn policy, but Biden has stopped taking my calls.

Secondly, what was a the FUBAR part? The one where the previous administration handed the nation to the Taliban? That the Afghan military collapsed instantly instead of over a period of months to year? That Biden did it immediately and got just about everyone we wanted and many of the Afghans that wanted out?
It was far from ideal, but it wasn't quite FUBAR as well. That would have included the Taliban holding US soldiers in front of cameras, asking for stuff... or just killing them. In a ridiculously perverse way, the Taliban assisted our retreat, least we have Trump to thank for that.

And come the 2024 election, almost no American is going to care about it. In fact, the only people that bring it up these days are the people that wanted us out anyway.
He was widely supported by nearly everyone (left and right), for finally pulling the trigger on getting the US out of Afghanistan, no doubt about that. But that's about it. He was widely panned for the logistics (or the lack of planning thereof) and speed of the withdrawl by nearly everyone (left and right). Even the mainstream lefty media finally stopped going soft on him at this point. Lots of military equipment and personnel left behind. The Taliban are parading around in US Army fatigues for Gawd's sake!

It would have been nice if he did the withdrawl in accordance with this guy's more sensible plan:

Gas is $5.00 a gallon, inflation is 7% and rising but the important thing is that transgenders can serve in the military.

Doing one helluva job. :hysterical::rotfl:

I can't think why people aren't talking about this amazing list more, it's fucking hilarious !! Did Corbett put this list together?

Lets Go Brandon !!!

He was widely supported by nearly everyone (left and right), for finally pulling the trigger on getting the US out of Afghanistan, no doubt about that. But that's about it. He was widely panned for the logistics (or the lack of planning thereof) and speed of the withdrawl by nearly everyone (left and right). Even the mainstream lefty media finally stopped going soft on him at this point. Lots of military equipment and personnel left behind.
Almost no personnel left behind. The equipment, the good stuff, rendered useless. The collapse of Afghanistan wasn't a surprise, but even the most pessimistic people thought it was going to be a matter of months, not minutes.
The Taliban are parading around in US Army fatigues for Gawd's sake!
You really upset about that verses them parading US Army soldiers in their fatigues and killing them?
It would have been nice if he did the withdrawl in accordance with this guy's more sensible plan:
The Afghan military collapsed sooner than anyone else thought. Biden moving forward with it, wasn't a surprise and Americans should have been getting out before hand. In the end, the evacuation was a mess much more for the Afghans than the Americans. And we still managed to get a bunch of Afghans out.

As far as withdrawals from failed occupations go, it wasn't anywhere as bad as it could have been.

I think the Beave has a point.
The withdrawal doesn’t crack the top 7 because it has been widely regarded as a debacle. Explaining why someone else is responsible for a debacle doesn’t often belong in a list of proud achievements.

Gas is $5.00 a gallon, inflation is 7% and rising but the important thing is that transgenders can serve in the military.

I can't think why people aren't talking about this amazing list more, it's fucking hilarious !! Did Corbett put this list together?

Lets Go Brandon !!!

I wonder if his poll numbers can drop to the 20s? This Weekend at Bernie’s re-boot is a hoot.

Yes. Lets Go Brandon.

First look: Biden inaugural to blanket airwaves today

The video is narrated by Tom Hanks,

FJjCV7nWYAEfjtJ

Lets Go Brandon !!!

I wonder if his poll numbers can drop to the 20s? This Weekend at Bernie’s re-boot is a hoot.
Biden's numbers are ten points higher than Trump's at this same time in his administration.

Lets Go Brandon !!!

Gas? I'm paying about what I paid two years ago. Why should I have a problem with it?

I'm not a Republican that has no memory beyond Faux Noise.

Lets Go Brandon !!!

Biden's numbers are ten points higher than Trump's at this same time in his administration.

Eh.

Quinnipiac poll shows Biden with 33 percent approval rating

HIGHLIGHTS
  • President Biden's overall approval average at this point in his term is 49.2%, 8.7 percentage points higher than President Trump's average of 40.5% at this point in his term.
  • Congress' overall approval average under President Biden is 23.2%, 6.9 percentage points higher than its average of 16.3% at this point in President Trump's term.
  • Since President Biden took office, an average of 36% of Americans have felt the country is going in the right direction, 2 percentage points higher than the average of 34% who felt that way at this point in President Trump's term.

Presidential job approval​

HIGHLIGHTS
  • President Biden's approval rating for the 51st week of his term was 42.6%, down 0.4 percentage points from the week before. President Trump's approval rating at the same point in his term was 39.8%, about the same as the week before.
  • President Biden's termwide approval rating average is 49.2%, with weekly averages ranging from 42% to 54.4%.
  • At this point in President Trump's term, his termwide approval rating average was 40.5%, with weekly averages ranging from 37.3% to 45.9%

The U.S. economy just set the record for the most jobs created in one year, but you’d never know it from the continuing doomsday economic coverage under President Joe Biden.

The new jobs report, released Friday, offered the latest evidence of the purposeful disconnect the media maintain, and specifically how journalists rely on consistently unreliable “expectations” for job report numbers in order to portray the results as “disappointing,” and to paint a picture of a faltering U.S. economy even as it shatters growth records.

The U.S. economy just posted 199,000 new jobs in December, during a pandemic surge. That sounds like a good thing, right? Especially considering that in December 2020, under Trump and during another wintertime pandemic surge, the U.S. lost 140,000 jobs. Instead, the press was uniformly pessimistic about Friday’s news.

It was a “major disappointment,” CNN announced, despite the fact employee wages hit record heights and the unemployment rate tumbled to 3.9 percent. (Last winter, the CBO predicted it would take five years for the U.S. to reach an unemployment rate that low.) NPR stressed the US added “only” 199,000 jobs. Hiring had “faltered” the New York Times reported. All because the key number failed to meet estimates.
“During one of the most volatile periods in recent memory, private and public-sector economists have a less firm grasp of what the labor market is doing,” the Wall Street Journal recently conceded. During 2021, economists cumulatively missed the jobs mark by well over 1 million jobs. And that’s in a year when the U.S. created more than 6 million jobs, the most since records began in 1939.

The expectations model often produces dubious journalism. When last November’s job report was released, NPR quickly announced it was a “bust” because just 210,000 jobs had been created. But back in January of 2020, NPR cheered that the U.S. economy was “revved up” because 225,000 positions had been added.
Why the drastically different NPR spin for the Biden and Trump years? Expectations. Trump’s 225,000 job gains surpassed that month’s modest expectations, while Biden’s 210,000 fell short of estimates.

Another key hurdle is that the government has shown for the last year that it chronically undercounts, by large margins, the job gains data that are released to the public, and when it goes back and quietly post revisions they’re mostly ignored by the media.

August was a perfect example. That month’s initial jobs report claimed 235,000 jobs were added, which prompted lots of “disappointing” news coverage based on the established expectations. That total was soon revised all the way up to 483,000 new jobs, a development that received little press attention. Look at last September. The initial report announced 194,000 jobs. (“Lackluster,” announced NBC News.) After two revisions, the job total nearly doubled to 379,000.
There’s also the lingering suspicion that the press simply likes to tell bad economic news — and hide upbeat newsflashes — during the Biden years. Just look at this pretzel-logic headline from the Washington Post yesterday, “2021 Shattered Job Market Records, But It’s Not as Good as it Looks.”

When last summer’s blockbuster July jobs report showed a jaw-dropping gain of nearly one million jobs, “NBC Nightly News” completely ignored the development. NBC did the same thing for the October survey, which announced a robust 531,000 jobs. It certainly feels like there’s a preferred media narrative in play.

The current approach for how the press handles monthly jobs reports isn’t functioning as it should. So why do journalists stick to the broken model?
Economy soars while press plays jobs “expectations” game

Biden also broke the record of slips while boarding Air Force One.

Back
Top Bottom