• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Shohei Ohtani - GOAT?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Now certainly, people have a tendency to always think history is happening in front of them. In the case of baseball, there is this guy Shohei Ohtani who pitches and bats. Yes, he is a DH, but he is a starting pitcher, so that can be forgiven. It is admittedly way too early to consider Ohtani the GOAT, which makes this thread clickbait, but the question is, if he continues playing as he is, is Ohtani the best player ever?

I'm not the most knowledgeable in baseball history, but I think Babe Ruth gets a possible nod as best ever, a slugger/pitcher (and a slugger well ahead of his time). Then there is Ted Williams, who had a Hall of Fame career while a WWII veteran! Willie Mays and Hank Aaron are also at the top of the GOAT list. But it hasn't been since Ruth that someone with Ohtani's pedigree has existed. We are talking viable pitcher and a very good batter. In fact, leading the lead in homeruns at the moment. That is multi-generational. Of course, his performance has to survive a couple things: 1) health 2) the massive payday. Ohtani is likely looking at getting paid roughly one US State a year.

So, I was wondering people's thoughts on Ohtani.

Watch him while you can. His current performance is truly unprecedented. Expecting it to continue indefinitely is probably a pipe dream. But if it does continue through a full career, yes he would be considered the GOAT by a lot of people.

Ohtani as GOAT? Who decides? For me it doesn't matter. I watch most Angels games and Ohtani is a pleasure to watch whether he is pitching or hitting. He is fast af and can beat out throws to first, steals bases at will and knocks home runs into the top tier. He is a phenomenal player. He will undoubtedly move on because he won't get a chance at the World Series with the Angels. Dodgers have been sniffing around so he may end up there.

I haven’t seen enough of him to reach a conclusion. His pitching and hitting prowess make him a bit of a unicorn, but not playing the field is a negative. I still think no one has been as dominant in all phases (except pitching, obviously) as Mays. Given a choice between the two, at this point I’d want to put Willie in my lineup every day.

Not playing the field is a negative until you consider pitchers never play the field either. I don't watch baseball, but this guy seems like, as you say, a unicorn. He has a career to finish out first, but it is incredible that a guy can steal, pitch, and bat.

Not playing the field is a negative until you consider pitchers never play the field either. I don't watch baseball, but this guy seems like, as you say, a unicorn. He has a career to finish out first, but it is incredible that a guy can steal, pitch, and bat.
I agree. He may not ever out-drink Babe Ruth, but I bet he could play a respectable outfield position if the need arose.

The point is that pitchers only pitch once every 4-6 games if they’re a starter. And pitchers definitely do play the field.

Last edited:
He's also the season leader in triples.

And has a shot at 63 hrs, currently on pace for 60.

Shohei is fast AF! I was at the Angels v Astros on Sunday. He hit a HR in the ninth but alas, it still ended in a defeat for The Halos.

It is fun to watch a new talent that has multiple strengths.

Ippei the scapegoat for Ohtani?

Surprisingly, no, looks like Ohtani not involved.

Federal authorities filed a complaint accusing Ippei Mizuhara, 39, of bank fraud, which can carry a maximum fine of up to $1 million and/or up to 30 years in prison, according to federal sentencing guidelines.

"I want to emphasize this point: Mr. Ohtani is considered a victim in this case," U.S. Attorney Martin Estrada said during a news conference in Los Angeles.

Estrada added that there was no evidence Ohtani had any knowledge of Mizuhara's gambling activities or use of his bank account to pay his debts. He said investigators combed through years of text messages between the two and found no discussion of gambling.

Phew 😅

Must be nice though, to not miss $16 million.

You know, after the first million, maybe you realize you aren't good at gambling?

Back
Top Bottom