• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Shots Fired near the White House

ElectEngr

Basic Beliefs
vulcan
No links but, MSNBC reports shots fired near the White House.

Press hunkered down.

Later sources said gun man shot himself. Probably SEVERAL self inflicted shots from LONG RANGE

Just saying...

We're eighteen years overdue for a good Presidential assassination attempt.

Just saying...

Later,
ElectEngr

No worries...Trump can handle it, doesn’t even need a gun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Press hunkered down.

Later sources said gun man shot himself. Probably SEVERAL self inflicted shots from LONG RANGE

Just saying...

Just saying...

Later,
ElectEngr

What a terrible thing to imply. You wouldn't want to live in a country like Russia where that sort of thing actually happens.

What a terrible thing to imply. You wouldn't want to live in a country like Russia where that sort of thing actually happens.
we were a country where that happened. The pattern was established, and bets were placed.
Every 20 years, the pres gets shotted to death,
Until Reagan in 1980, and Bush in 2000....

we were a country where that happened. The pattern was established, and bets were placed.
Every 20 years, the pres gets shotted to death,
Until Reagan in 1980, and Bush in 2000....

Well, in Reagan's case not for lack of trying.

Also who was assassinated in the 1940s? Or 20s? Before Kennedy, the last president to be assassinated was McKinley.

Press hunkered down.

Just saying...

Just saying...

Later,
ElectEngr

No. We are 2-6 years short of a good presidential assassination attempt. The ones elected in years ending in zero are the ones that die in office.

I think the "zero year curse" has more to do with dying in office because Roosevelt past away in April 1945 and Warren G. Harding in 1923.
Well Roosevelt was cheating because he served for 22 years (and thus was bound to be elected in a "zero year") and was a Polio survivor, increasing his chances for early death.

I think the "zero year curse" has more to do with dying in office because Roosevelt past away in April 1945 and Warren G. Harding in 1923.
Well Roosevelt was cheating because he served for 22 years (and thus was bound to be elected in a "zero year") and was a Polio survivor, increasing his chances for early death.

Wut

If you keep being president a long time you guarantee you will be elected in a year ending with 0 (zero year curse) and you increase your chances of dying in office. You increase them even more if your constitution is weakened by polio.

You can't be US President that many years and your simple arithmetic is wrong.

You can't be US President that many years and your simple arithmetic is wrong.
Well FDR could. I am aware that the Constitution was changed and that it is no longer possible, but I was talking about FDR. So my arithmetic is certainly correct. If you can't work it out in your head use a calculator.

Are you contradicting me just for the sake of contradicting?

Well Roosevelt was cheating because he served for 22 years (and thus was bound to be elected in a "zero year") ...

Wikipedia said:
Franklin Delano Roosevelt (/ˈroʊzəvəlt/;[1] January 30, 1882 – April 12, 1945), often referred to by his initials FDR, was an American statesman and political leader who served as the 32nd President of the United States from 1933 until his death in 1945.

1945 - 1933 = 12

1945 - 1933 != 22

Derec said:
...my arithmetic is certainly correct. If you can't work it out in your head use a calculator.

Your arithmetic is wrong.

FDR served for 12* years as President, not 22.

* give or take, depending on the exact dates up to 13 years depending on those specific dates, but certainly not 22!

Your arithmetic is wrong.
FDR served for 12 years as President, not 22.
Ok, you got me, I misremembered when he first got elected. Still, the longer you are president, the more likely you are to have a zero year election. And in his day there were no term limits.

Ok, you got me.

Your response:
Derec said:
If you can't work it out in your head use a calculator.

I guess you did. :) My mistake was not checking up the years in Wikipedia. I somehow misremembered that he was in office a really long time.

But my bigger point still stands. Had FDR been limited to two terms like later presidents, he would not have run in a zero year and he would not have died in office either. Using his to bolster the "zero year curse" is thus a stretch.

Back
Top Bottom