• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Should all voices be heard?

Are you sure your search results are relevant to your search phrase?
Didn't you read the OP?
A determined delusional conspiracy nut can make ANYTHING relevant and supportive of ANYTHING.
That's what's wrong with the information (and disinformation) overload universe we are living in. I showed how they would view the fact that a cop got shot right when the PM was giving him accolades, and how that would be viewed as suspicious when it showed up on page 1 in a search for [conspiracy theory du jour].

And note that the way Google counts matches doesn't mean there's any page that contains the whole search key. They are saying that there are 2 million pages that contain enough of a match to be counted--I rather suspect that most of them are on "controls the fbi" without either purple or wombat.

Using the key of "purple" "wombat" "fbi" to limit it a bit better I find the first hit appears to be a TV listing (it's not in English) that has the show "Secret life of the wombat" and I would presume somewhere (I didn't look) the show "FBI".

Adding "controls" to that list caused Google to give up, no hits, just some suggestions that didn't match all the required terms. Right there on the first page of hits is "purple wombat"--but it's from a computer science lecture.

Thus I conclude there is no purple wombats control the fbi conspiracy. (Although it won't take long for Google to actually return a hit--this thread.)

I'm responding to the "Should all voices be heard?" question.

Isn't it true that literally millions, billions, of voices are effectively excluded from Google / Youtube?

These sites might be accessible if you already know the exact web address and type that into the address box. But what about the billions of sites out there (or hundreds you want to find, on your topic) which can't ever pop up in the search? Instead of getting more and more new sites offered, you finally get repetitions of earlier ones (which apparently get preference, or privileged status), or you finally get a note saying there aren't any more.

So there's a vast virtual infinity of sites, or thousands you're trying to find, which are there to help give additional stuff you want, but they are effectively excluded, even if you type in the exact key words needed. Still they're excluded and you can't ever get them (unless you already know the exact address, which usually you don't or you wouldn't have to do the "search" for it).

This should be corrected, so that truly "all voices" are heard, or made available to any searcher. Maybe the searcher has to continue for hours, but it keeps going until they actually do run out of any further sites, because you were offered every one, even if it takes several days.

Since this would be a social benefit, for education purposes, and perhaps not profitable (too costly?), this is a kind of search engine which maybe should be publicly funded rather than a private for-profit service. So, a universally-inclusive search engine, including every single website publisher (no matter how small or unimportant) identified with the exact key words being searched.

Isn't it true that literally millions, billions, of voices are effectively excluded from Google / Youtube?
So fucking what? Where is it written that Google/Youtube is obligated to platform hate speech? This is a fucking pathetic argument. It would be like me arguing I was cancelled because I got banned from my local bar because of what I think about the Jews. Being heard and being immune from consequences is two fucking different things and nobody is entitled to the latter.

Universal key-word search, unlimited
Where is it written that Google/Youtube is obligated to platform hate speech?
No, my point is not about dubious sites being identified for something criminal/slanderous and being banned by the platform. Those are a very tiny percent of all the sites. I'm referring to literally millions (maybe hundreds of millions, or even billions) of sites, by legitimate publishers, non-hate-speech publishers who want to say something to whoever out there is interested. They are not targeted, but rather are EFFECTIVELY excluded (from the key-word search) because the platform has limits -- I'm not sure what the limits are, the technological limits. It might be a cost-limit problem.

There are millions of sites out there (billions?), not banned per se, having a web address / url which could be typed into the address box, and so which are allowed, not nefarious, and you can find them if you happen to know the particular address / url.

But, what if that site has something you want to find, and it's there, perfectly legal and legitimate and accessible to anyone knowing the url --- but you do not know the url? Why shouldn't you be able to find this site if you type in the needed search words?

Of course you can find some of them, or an unusual site in many cases, but there are far more sites you can't ever find. Suppose you type in 2 or 3 or 4 key words and get several hundred or thousand hits -- the reality is that there are many others, thousands, which you never get offered to you. Eventually the platform starts repeating previous hits again and again, which you've already checked and weren't what you wanted, or weren't good enough. Or the platform finally gives you a note saying there are no others. Which is false. There are hundreds or thousands more sites which answer to the key words you typed in. But there is some artificial limit to the number of sites offered, and all the others get excluded. The only way you can get through to those sites is by typing in the particular url, which you don't know. Because you don't even know the site exists.

I.e., you figure there's probably something out there which answers your search, but you don't know for sure, or don't know the address, and so you search for it by relying on the key words.

For the sake of those searching, and also the site publishers seeking visitors, why shouldn't there be a way the searcher can find that site by continuing on and on, even if it requires many hours, even days, of searching?

The sites are out there, but the platform apparently "runs out" of offers at some point, and so says there's nothing more, or it repeats the earlier offers again and again. Apparently those sites which are repeated had to pay a price of some kind in order to get this special status. Or it's a chance selection process -- maybe the platform takes the first 100 or 500 or 5000 sites which got in, and after that any new ones are excluded.

If the searcher types in 2 or 3 or 4 key words, why can't there be a technology to give that searcher every single site answering to those words, no matter how many? Even if it's millions, why can't it just keep giving more and more, as long as the searcher wants to keep trying? no repetitions of earlier hits? just new ones, on and on?

(Actually there should be a function for the searcher to also go back and find earlier ones (hits), if they remember it, or maybe repeat the same search over again. But also it should be possible to screen out the earlier hits and keep getting new ones, to search farther and farther.)

If it's a cost limit, because of the technology, there should be gov't-funded research to create the technology, and even a gov't-funded platform, so anyone can find any site offering what they're searching for.

This . . . would be like me arguing I was cancelled because I got banned from my local bar because of what I think about the Jews.
No, this isn't about a site being cancelled or banned because they're singled out by the platform as objectionable. It's about effective exclusion (de facto exclusion) of sites the platform ignores but which are actually included for the few visitors who happen to know of the site and its web address.

Last edited:
Agreed. The same thing can be said about the Phone Book. I just want to talk to Thomas.

Using the key of "purple" "wombat" "fbi" to limit it a bit better I find the first hit appears to be a TV listing (it's not in English) that has the show "Secret life of the wombat"
Again with the SECRETS!!!
I told you they were hiding it!

Seriously, the fact that it is possible to limit Google’s responses to actual relevant material, is itself irrelevant. Conspiracy nuts don’t do that.

Back
Top Bottom