• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Should bakers be forced to make gender transition celebration cakes?

She actually said it was a birthday cake and she wanted to celebrate her transition on her birthday.

So, according to Scardina the cake requested had two messages. Both "Happy Birthday" and "Transition Celebration".

That makes sense, given the court documents. Phillips said the request was for a trans celebration cake. Scardina said the request was for a birthday cake.

Personally, the message I got from this nonexistent cake is "Because I'm a Lawyer and I can FUCK you up."

Yeah that cake had lots of messages attached, even if you can't personally understand them.
Tom

What a bunch of crap.

Such bullshit.

Got it. You didn't address a single one of the items I mentioned, didn't counter any of them, and are still handwaving away.

No, he just addressed the unadulterated bullshit that precipitated it all. And that was really the more important thing for him to address, as any argument built on such a shaky foundation is certain to collapse when that foundation is demolished.

She actually said it was a birthday cake and she wanted to celebrate her transition on her birthday.

So, according to Scardina the cake requested had two messages. Both "Happy Birthday" and "Transition Celebration".

A cake doesn't have the message "Happy Birthday" until you write it.

A cake used to celebrate a birthday is a birthday cake but the use gives it the message. The message isn't part of the cake. Unless you write it out.

A person can pretend a cake is something.

And guess what?

That cake is that something.

To that person.

That is not a message from the cake.

I can pretend a tree is a dragon.

The tree does not suddenly have a message.

And guess what?

To that person.

The message on that cake was from Scardina.
"I'm a lawyer and I can FUCK you up."

Are you suggesting that you don't think that message was clear?
Tom

And guess what?

To that person.

Tom

This was all controlled by the baker. All he had to do was follow the law, bake the cake, ask gawd for forgiveness and all is well.

This was all controlled by the baker.

Really?
You think the baker tracked down the lawyer to give the message, "I'm not baking your transition celebration cake."

Seriously?
Tom

All he had to do was follow the law,

Back when Jim Crow was the law, discrimination against black people was not just legal, it was required. I don't consider US law a moral arbitor. Never have.

Maybe it's because I'm gay and recognized early on that the law is not my friend. It's just as subject to criticism as any other human opinions.
Tom

The Supremes have refused to hear a case brought by a florist who was fined for refusing to provide flower arrangements for a same-sex couple:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...367a62-db3b-11eb-bb9e-70fda8c37057_story.html

The usual suspects (Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch) wanted to hear the case, but four justices are required. The florist was even a friend of one of the couple, but refused because of here "relationship with Jesus Christ". I think JC would probably dump her.

SCOTUS appears to be leaning towards Civil Liberties over Religious Infringement of them, but there are a couple tests. It'd be nice if they'd create some tests.

And guess what?

To that person.

Tom

This was all controlled by the baker. All he had to do was follow the law, bake the cake, ask gawd for forgiveness and all is well.

Give on to the Pharaoh what belongs to the Pharaoh but give God what belongs to God (some shit like that). I have a feeling this Baker worships a different god.:diablotin:

Back
Top Bottom