• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Should this "Karen" be locked up for falsely accusing an innocent Black?

Charge her, for tackling the teen. Hold her accountable, legally, for her actions, and apply the law the same way as any other adult. IMO the false charge should carry an additional charge, but AFAIK the law doesn't cover this. Send the video to her employer if possible.

These contrived incidents are just tedious now. It's the same format every time.

Yeah. Imagine being on the receiving end of such an accusation.

I'm sure there are at least 42 million people in the US alone who would be delighted if they could regard such incidents as 'tedious.'

Karen stories are not national news.

If they’re White they are; no matter how trivial. That’s the point. We’re living in a Tom Wolfe novel.

Charge her, for tackling the teen. Hold her accountable, legally, for her actions, and apply the law the same way as any other adult. IMO the false charge should carry an additional charge, but AFAIK the law doesn't cover this. Send the video to her employer if possible.

Tar and feather her, then have her run through the streets naked chased by a pack of dogs !! That will her learn her !

Tar and feather her, then have her run through the streets naked chased by a pack of dogs !! That will her learn her !

What's wrong with her facing legal & professional consequences for unacceptable behavior?

#BelieveWomen is about fucked up shit that happens to women when they report rape/ sexual assaults or speak up about it. What exactly are you agreeing with?

Bullshit! #BelieveWomen is about demanding that women be automatically believed no matter the evidence.
Prime example being Crystal Magnum's false accusations. Not only the media and this forum, but the victims' own university (Duke) took the false accuser's side. Of course, Magnum had the fortune of having both race and gender on her side. This Karen only had one advantage in the progressive stack.
Your example proves the point - the accusation was about rape. #BelieveWomen is about believing the story in order to verify it.

I thought conservatives were about "law and order". False accusation of a crime is itself a crime. Therefore this person should be locked up for falsely accusing someone of a crime.

What's wrong with her facing legal & professional consequences for unacceptable behavior?

The Karen Law ! I like it.

The Karen Law ! I like it.

There are already laws on the books against physical violence against other people outside of legal justification. Why not apply them? You haven't given a good reason to exempt her from the legal or social consequences for her behavior.

These contrived incidents are just tedious now. It's the same format every time.

Yeah. Imagine being on the receiving end of such an accusation.

I'm sure there are at least 42 million people in the US alone who would be delighted if they could regard such incidents as 'tedious.'

Pretty sure about 42 million people would be thrilled not to be national news. For example: I'm pretty sure that Breonna Taylor's family would be delighted if she remained obscure--and alive. Ditto Tamir Rice's family and Botham Jean's family and George Floyd's family and a lot of other families would be delighted if their family member were obscure and alive.

Pretty sure about 42 million people would be thrilled not to be national news. For example: I'm pretty sure that Breonna Taylor's family would be delighted if she remained obscure--and alive. Ditto Tamir Rice's family and Botham Jean's family and George Floyd's family and a lot of other families would be delighted if their family member were obscure and alive.

By why should any of that make this trivial incident national news?

In this scene, the accuser demands to see the phone, but the accused refuses, and insists that he's being unjustly accused because he's Black. Wasn't there a way he could prove that it was his phone?

The law of the land in which this occurred (USA, maybe you have heard of it) is that the accused is presumed innocent, and it is incumbent upon the accuser to prove their accusation.

Why can't a person falsely accused simply take a moment to prove that he's not a thief, if the proof is right there, plain for anyone to see? Is it always necessary for an accused person to refuse to prove his/her innocence? What's wrong with just proving you're innocent of the accusation, if it's so easy?

Because our founding fathers were smart enough to realize that accusation is easy, anyone can do it at any time. That is why they put the onus on the accuser.

How is this different from a suspected shoplifter who is asked to show what's in the bag, or to show their receipt? There are many incidents like this, and they are usually resolved by the accused one taking a moment to disprove the suspicions.

It's not any different than a suspected shoplifter. Most stores know they better have proof of shoplifting before approaching a shoplifter and making an accusation. Stores that accuse random customers of shoplifting, and demand that they prove their innocence don't stay in business long, either because no one wants to shop there, or they get sued into oblivion.

This woman needs to be charged with assault and battery, as there is way more evidence of her having committed that crime than the crime she was accusing her victim of.

For some reason, I think charges of assault and battery seem overkill here. This woman was in the wrong by a lot. But acting like an asshat is not a crime. She did not call the police, so she did not file a false police report.

I would feel better if she just sincerely and humbly apologized to the teenager and his father, and then volunteered to do 100 hours of community service. But I doubt that will happen without charges. Just seems like a waster of the criminal justice system.

For some reason, I think charges of assault and battery seem overkill here. This woman was in the wrong by a lot. But acting like an asshat is not a crime. She did not call the police, so she did not file a false police report.

I would feel better if she just sincerely and humbly apologized to the teenager and his father, and then volunteered to do 100 hours of community service. But I doubt that will happen without charges. Just seems like a waster of the criminal justice system.

I have no doubt that in the reverse situation, the young black man would have been arrested and charged, so I think it only appropriate that she face the same consequences. People have been charged with assault and battery for far less, and with far less evidence. The criminal justice system has felt free to waste my time on a number of occasions, I could care less if a bit of their time is wasted here and there.

I don't think anyone should feel obligated to prove their innocence. But I do think that in this situation choosing to do so would have been simultaneously fast, easy, safe, charitable to a stranger in distress, and a self beneficial alternative to enduring the continued rude pestering of that same stranger. You lose so little, and gain so much. People have been shot dead in the streets of the US for much less.

How would he and his father know the stranger was not a complete racist trolling nutjob, who would simply use the revelation of the phone to escalate her false accusations? It was a judgement call. How do you know how this stranger would have reacted if the father and son had done as you advised? They refused to let the intrusive situation tell them what to do, and the situation was eventually resolved. Incidentally, she was blaming a black teenage male FOR HER OWN CARELESSNESS. Apparently she didn't take seriously the possibility, "Woah! maybe I was so careless I left my phone in the Uber I just got out of.". Talk about an unreflective refusal to accept agency for one's own mistakes.
She apparently committed assault, and hotel security had to intervene to prevent further violence. The father showed restraint in not forcibly dragging her off his son. A father of a white girl being similarly assaulted by a man over accusations of thievery would be considered fully justifies in decking the dude.

For falsely accusing him, no--it doesn't rise to the level of beyond a reasonable doubt needed for a criminal conviction.

For attacking him about it, yes. That was a clearly criminal act.

I don't think anyone should feel obligated to prove their innocence. But I do think that in this situation choosing to do so would have been simultaneously fast, easy, safe, charitable to a stranger in distress, and a self beneficial alternative to enduring the continued rude pestering of that same stranger. You lose so little, and gain so much. People have been shot dead in the streets of the US for much less.

How would he and his father know the stranger was not a complete racist trolling nutjob, who would simply use the revelation of the phone to escalate her false accusations? It was a judgement call.
How would he and his father know the stranger was not a lizard creature who would pull her skin suit off and snatch the phone with her 8 foot long forked tongue?
You can play the what if game all day, but most people acknowledge defeat when they are definitively proven to be wrong.

How do you know how this stranger would have reacted if the father and son had done as you advised?
I don't KNOW. I'm just playing the odds here and they are heavily in favor of her acknowledging the mistake once it is proven beyond reasonable doubt to be one.

And just a reminder here, revealing the mistake would literally take half a second.
They refused to let the intrusive situation tell them what to do, and the situation was eventually resolved. Incidentally, she was blaming a black teenage male FOR HER OWN CARELESSNESS. Apparently she didn't take seriously the possibility, "Woah! maybe I was so careless I left my phone in the Uber I just got out of.". Talk about an unreflective refusal to accept agency for one's own mistakes.
She apparently committed assault, and hotel security had to intervene to prevent further violence. The father showed restraint in not forcibly dragging her off his son. A father of a white girl being similarly assaulted by a man over accusations of thievery would be considered fully justifies in decking the dude.
I'm under the impression that the physical aggression alleged in this incident is the same physical aggression that was captured on camera by the dad as he walked out the door. The woman made a dash to snatch the phone as the dad and son were walking out the door and she is quickly shut down and shoved to the ground by a bench with the dad and son not relenting in their retreat. And I am under the impression that the dad WAS the party who acted defensively and put her on her ass. Is there another physical altercation involving hotel security that I'm not aware of? Because in the video I saw, she looked like she fared worse off in the end in the brief physical encounter.

...Or, rather than falsely accusing and physically attacking the black teen she could hgave used any one of several available methods to find or ID her lost phone that don't involve assault.

She could have called the phone or used the "find phone" function. I don't see why anybody thinks she should be justified in suspecting anybody carrying an iphone as if they're so rare. As if everyone is supposed to empty their pockets and bags for inspection because this fool can't keep track of her shit. At the least she could have simply been nicer about it.

Woman: He stole my phone!
Hotel Worker: What is your phone number?
Woman: *gives him number*
Hotel Worker: *Pulls out his phone, calls number*
*teen's phone doesn't ring*

END OF FUCKING STORY! Least evasive way to address the situation.

I'm curious how she thought he stole it in the first place. Black teen with a nice phone sort of issue?

Back
Top Bottom