• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Should this "Karen" be locked up for falsely accusing an innocent Black?

De Blasio on Twitter Monday called the incident "racism. Plain and simple."
Smart move dipshit. Stoke those fires, Mr. Mayor.

View attachment 31036

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump accused the hotel of empowering the woman's accusations by asking Harrold's son to prove his innocence and called for charges against her.
You're an asshole. Now you're gonna get this poor manager fired for the sake of optics when all he was trying to do was take the most commonsense approach to defuse the situation.

Thinking you've lost your phone is a bogus feeling for anyone. It's probably a near panic situatiuon for a 22 year old girl. Adult trumpeter dad could have handled this better. Just show her the apps on the phone instead of being a dick and destroying this 22 year old girl with racism accusations. These were for all intents and purposes two kids with one adult between them. You could not have handled this worse, dad.

Good post. I'm still waiting to see the evidence that this girl is being racist. In fact, from the looks of her with her mask off, it seems she could even be part black herself. She doesn't look all that white, TBH. Or For all we know, she could have a black boyfriend/girlfriend.

In fact, if the dad was smart, he would have had his son show the girl his phone, so everyone there could see what a super bitch she was being. It might put a little shame and humility on her, so she doesn't overreact next time something like this happens. Maybe she would grow up a little and learn from the experience.

View attachment 31036

You're an asshole. Now you're gonna get this poor manager fired for the sake of optics when all he was trying to do was take the most commonsense approach to defuse the situation.

Thinking you've lost your phone is a bogus feeling for anyone. It's probably a near panic situatiuon for a 22 year old girl. Adult trumpeter dad could have handled this better. Just show her the apps on the phone instead of being a dick and destroying this 22 year old girl with racism accusations. These were for all intents and purposes two kids with one adult between them. You could not have handled this worse, dad.

That could be a fair statement.

On the other hand, I have a 22 year old daughter. Yes, if she lost her phone in that situation (alone, away from home) she might easily panic. And I think panic is this young woman's only mitigation.

What's a little odd is that she was asking for the case to be taken off the phone. In other words, it looked different to her phone in at least some ways.

Now, it could be that the boy was the first person she saw with a phone similar to hers and that she would have reacted/panicked the same way if it had been a white boy, or, there was some implicit racial bias going on in her head. Possibly. It's not clear. It's even less clear, imo, that there was any going on in the head of the manager.

So for that reason I think the statements you quoted (from the mayor and the lawyer) are a bit ott.

Apologies. I forgot the article: https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/30/us/keyon-harrold-iphone-incident-new-york/index.html

She claims she asked someone else to empty their pockets prior to. Will that person step forward, I wonder.

We should not assume any racial bias and there is none evident in her actions or the manager's. What is evident is she is on the floor with someone else making a "stop" motion with his hands.

I think we all have accommodated an, I'll say, overly excited person more than is required of us. This is what an adult does. I discount the odd "case" comment because people in an excited state may act irrationally. This would hold for her claim to having asked another to empty their pockets. A strange request indeed. I think this young lady was just very upset and acted somewhat irrationally. This is why I blame the adult at the scene. He could have handled this but chose not to.

Geez.

She lost her phone. It's on her to find it.

She is permitted to ask have you seen my phone but little else. No going off the deep end because she has some wild belief or fear.

The burden is not on the boy with his phone.

She falsely accused and she needs to fix that. He needs do nothing to help her.

Yes adults at the scene should recognize the condition of the distraught one. She needs to be restrained rather than be believed. No-one is entitled to accuse another of something without legitimate cause. Seeing someone with one of the most popular items being carried by anyone is not sufficient cause.

Full Stop!

As for young lady and adult at the scene. Both obviously racist. She's paranoid scared of daddy racist and the adult intervener is just chuck logic racist.

As for presuming one is racist that is par for the course these days since it's well embedded into law and social behavior to presume the worst of those of color. You use the color to charge you exhibit being racist.

Obviously there is no way to redeem oneself from such as falsely accusing another of something they did not do when that one is of another color in the US.

There is no nuanced parsing that would lead me to conclude other than I just did.

I leave purgatory and isolation to racist religionists.

How would he and his father know the stranger was not a lizard creature who would pull her skin suit off and snatch the phone with her 8 foot long forked tongue?
You can play the what if game all day, but most people acknowledge defeat when they are definitively proven to be wrong.

How do you know how this stranger would have reacted if the father and son had done as you advised?
I don't KNOW. I'm just playing the odds here and they are heavily in favor of her acknowledging the mistake once it is proven beyond reasonable doubt to be one.

And just a reminder here, revealing the mistake would literally take half a second.
They refused to let the intrusive situation tell them what to do, and the situation was eventually resolved. Incidentally, she was blaming a black teenage male FOR HER OWN CARELESSNESS. Apparently she didn't take seriously the possibility, "Woah! maybe I was so careless I left my phone in the Uber I just got out of.". Talk about an unreflective refusal to accept agency for one's own mistakes.
She apparently committed assault, and hotel security had to intervene to prevent further violence. The father showed restraint in not forcibly dragging her off his son. A father of a white girl being similarly assaulted by a man over accusations of thievery would be considered fully justifies in decking the dude.
I'm under the impression that the physical aggression alleged in this incident is the same physical aggression that was captured on camera by the dad as he walked out the door. The woman made a dash to snatch the phone as the dad and son were walking out the door and she is quickly shut down and shoved to the ground by a bench with the dad and son not relenting in their retreat. And I am under the impression that the dad WAS the party who acted defensively and put her on her ass. Is there another physical altercation involving hotel security that I'm not aware of? Because in the video I saw, she looked like she fared worse off in the end in the brief physical encounter.
I don't like the term "Karen" much, but I have seen it applied in non-racial situations and videos, such as female anti-maskers, and sometimes "Male-Karen" used for men. Even if the woman wasn't acting out of racist ingrained reflexes, she was being an obnoxious, officious jerk to complete strangers for no good reason. Such people do exist, such behaviour does exist. Documented and observed--unlike lizard people. And for people belonging to minority racist in any racist society, some of these people and some of this behaviour, is racist.

The full news story makes it clear that hotel security was called after the video.

You dodge the main issue: the obnoxious and mistaken jerk's reflexive "blame the black male teenager" reaction. The side making snarky comments on this thread about believe all women is on to something about gender in this situation and the ways it is being framed, but this side just erases from their understanding what happened to 14 year old Emmett Till (within my lifetime).
The aggressor in this case was a white woman, which prevents some people from seeing her clearly as an aggressor; and she took the pose of a victim of crime (a stereotypical way of viewing women) instead of the person responsible for her loss--if anyone was. And who did this incorrectly self-viewed-as-a-victim person target as the criminal? The person who by age race and gender would be most like to be stereotyped in America as an inexperienced (because he was not hiding "her" phone) petty thief.

And then she wanted the male members of a, "criminalized", black family to shuck and jive for her, just for a moment, she implied. You say they should have humored her aggression. I say they were under no obligation to, any more than a woman should have assume a deferential "feminine" pose to try to placate an strange irate male in the lobby of a hotel she was staying in.
The man and his sons were guests in this upscale hotel, and the father an award-winning musician, which helps make it news, for those who are querying that.
The son learned a lesson in preserving one's dignity.

View attachment 31036

Good post. I'm still waiting to see the evidence that this girl is being racist. In fact, from the looks of her with her mask off, it seems she could even be part black herself. She doesn't look all that white, TBH. Or For all we know, she could have a black boyfriend/girlfriend.

In fact, if the dad was smart, he would have had his son show the girl his phone, so everyone there could see what a super bitch she was being. It might put a little shame and humility on her, so she doesn't overreact next time something like this happens. Maybe she would grow up a little and learn from the experience.
Would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge?

Keyon senior is just a douche. Rather than help, he does what all these douchebags do, whips out the phone and starts recording and goes running to the press. Tool.

Thinking you've lost your phone is a bogus feeling for anyone.

Watching your 14-year-old son being accosted by a random adult woman accusing him of a crime--especially when you know this plays into prejudicial attitudes which already exist against him as a young black man--is going to be more than a 'bogus' situation. It's a situation that could have gotten quite bad for his son. His job as a dad was to protect his son. He did so, not just physically, or against accusation, but against letting people who had no right to demand evidence or go through his shit from pressuring him to let them do so--against people continuing to treat him like a criminal or like his rights don't matter.

At any point in time, the one with the most power and obligation to dial things back was the woman. She could have stopped short of making false allegations. She could have found a more reasonable way to determine if he had her phone. She could have stopped short of harassing a teenager. She could have stopped short of saying she wouldn't let the father and son leave and she certainly could have stopped sort of physically trying to stop them. All on her.

Was she so hysterical that she was incapable of thinking that clearly?

• If not, then why is the burden of her continued bad behaviour falling on the father of a son who is being harassed by her? Because he or his son could acquiesce to unreasonable demands and behaviour?
  • If so, then the one the manager needed to address was the woman, not boy. So what if the boy did show her the phone? Would that stop her hysteria? Stop her from accusing him, or from going after someone else? It doesn't resolve the root problem of her being hysterical.

Certainly, the manager was quickly put in a difficult situation, and I cannot fault someone for a less than perfect performance. Not as a manager--in which case it seems likely he done fucked up--, but as a human being caught off guard, perhaps. But that's not the dad's or the son's problem, neither is it their obligation to make excuses for a grown man and woman who, evidently, were wrong in targeting the teenage boy.

De Blasio on Twitter Monday called the incident "racism. Plain and simple."

View attachment 31036

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump accused the hotel of empowering the woman's accusations by asking Harrold's son to prove his innocence and called for charges against her.

girl? really. The feminists of my generation would have been all over your case for calling a woman a "girl", even if you are chivalrously trying to protect her. Sort of like the 21-year old "girl" who brought down Emmett Till.

Keyon senior is just a douche. Rather than help, he does what all these douchebags do, whips out the phone and starts recording and goes running to the press. Tool.

Nah. Recording makes sense so that there is a visual record of events. She'd already made one unfounded allegation against his son. He didn't capture everything, but seeing as things did get at least a little physical, he has a record that she came after them and not the other way around.

HTML:
I think we all have accommodated an, I'll say, overly excited person more than is required of us. This is what an adult does. I discount the odd "case" comment because people in an excited state may act irrationally. This would hold for her claim to having asked another to empty their pockets. A strange request indeed. I think this young lady was just very upset and acted somewhat irrationally. This is why I blame the adult at the scene. He could have handled this but chose not to.
she did not behave like a lady, and she was and is an adult.

Nah. Recording makes sense so that there is a visual record of events. She'd already made one unfounded allegation against his son. He didn't capture everything, but seeing as things did get at least a little physical, he has a record that she came after them and not the other way around.

Nah, the prick was taunting a distraught young woman and records for clicks. It's tedious.

She could have called the phone or used the "find phone" function. I don't see why anybody thinks she should be justified in suspecting anybody carrying an iphone as if they're so rare. As if everyone is supposed to empty their pockets and bags for inspection because this fool can't keep track of her shit. At the least she could have simply been nicer about it.

As it happens, she says she did ask someone to empty their pocket.

CNN said:
She says she then asked someone else in the hotel lobby to "empty their pocket," before ultimately confronting Keyon Harrold Jr., who she maintained had her phone in his pocket

LOL, what a piece of work. But this is even funnier.

After viewing surveillance video of the incident, investigators are considering charging the woman with assault and possibly grand larceny or attempted robbery, said Rodney Harrison, chief of detectives for the New York Police Department, on Tuesday.

She should have just apologized after she recovered her phone.

She's also claiming she was the one assaulted, yet oddly,

CNN said:
After she agreed to provide evidence that could help confirm her claim that she was assaulted, she stopped responding to CNN's phone calls and text messages.

There's hotel surveillance video so this may be all sorted out.

Anyone saying the dad was wrong to not give up the phone, I say you are the shitty parents. Fuck any dad for not standing up for their kid in this situation. As if everyone should submit to search and seizure to any random passerby who asks, like some authoritarian-bred sheep. I will never forgive you and hate you forever DAD!

But I will say the dad is an ass now, for doing this

The prominent jazz trumpeter spoke Wednesday at a news conference and rally near the steps of New York's City Hall, where he was accompanied by civil rights attorney Ben Crump and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

There's no need to bring race into this rather than that just calling it plain self-entitled, narcissistic assholism. And if you are going to bring race into it, I can't hear you when you stand next to Crump and Sharpton.

Nah, the prick was taunting a distraught young woman and records for clicks. It's tedious.

Ah, the woman who is the aggressor in this situation and is in the wrong is 'distraught'. The man sticking up for his wrongly accused son is 'taunting'. I can smell the shit you're full of from here.

Ah, the woman who is the aggressor in this situation and is in the wrong is 'distraught'. The man sticking up for his wrongly accused son is 'taunting'. I can smell the shit you're full of from here.

The prominent jazz trumpeter spoke Wednesday at a news conference and rally near the steps of New York's City Hall, where he was accompanied by civil rights attorney Ben Crump and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Keyon senior is a weapons grade prick. Deal with it.

The way to expose and preserve oneself against incorrect accusations of crime and out-of-control behaviour is to document them, particularly in a case involving people of different races and genders.
When it comes down to it, you finally cough up that you're concerned about black penis as some sort of out of control threat to young women, who seem fully excused by you for being over emotional and irrational. You chivalrously blame the victim of the false accusation, even though you know the accusation was mistaken. I don't think she would be getting so much sympathy here if it had been a young man "distraught" over the loss of his Iphone.
Another poster pondered what lesson the father was teaching his son--well, among other things that there are other ways of handling the situation of losing one's Iphone than getting distraught and going full obnoxious jerk over it

The way to expose and preserve oneself against incorrect accusations of crime and out-of-control behaviour is to document them, particularly in a case involving people of different races and genders.
When it comes down to it, you {snip}

call out douchebaggery when I see it. I won't indulge the prick like you and the MSM hacks that eat this shit up. #TeamKaren.

When it comes down to it, you {snip}

call out douchebaggery when I see it. I won't indulge the prick like you and the MSM hacks that eat this shit up. #TeamKaren.

Vacuous.

Mr Keyon responded with information, rather than violence. Kudos to him.
If he'd punched the attacker I'd think he responded badly. A little. But he didn't. She attacked his kid, he didn't respond with violence, he did very well here.

Under very trying circumstances.
If a guy punches out an attacker so hard they wind up in the hospital I'd totally get it. She was the perp and he was protecting his child. Sorry if he didn't do it perfectly, but neither would I. He didn't have the clarity of hindsight to guide him when some bitch attacked his kid.
Tom

Vacuous.

Why wouldn't I be ? Keyon senior is a weapons grade prick and that's about all there is to this non story. Defend him all you like, it's your time and bandwidth.

#TeamKaren.

Back
Top Bottom