• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Soccer

Far and away the most exciting and competitive game I've watched this season. I was pretty happy when Liverpool equalized (and that goal: wow) but Man City making it a title race again isn't such a bad thing.

The Premier League needs more games like that.

Liverpool lose to Man City, but the pragmatic side is, they played Manchester City, Arsenal, Manchester United, as well as Newcastle and Wolves within just over two weeks and walked away with 12 points in those games. All in all, Liverpool are still doing very well.

I find it interesting, that the mind fuck that was the Champions League final loss via a pair of unbelievable conceded goals by Karius has led us to having one of the best keepers on the planet in Allison Becker. That guy kept Liverpool in the game where their previous keepers would have conceded. The guy just has an incredible handle on the game and where he needs to be. And he is one of the main reasons I think Liverpool still have a great shot at the EPL title. Yes, they have a 4 pt lead, so this isn't exactly going out on a branch, but Man City is still an awesome side.

One interesting point that keeps being brought up on the Guardian Football Weekly is the atmosphere at the Ethiad (City's stadium). Apparently the crowd is quite comatose there, and the guys on the pod figure this has been a significant variable in their losses.

I mean.. how does a team who just handed Liverpool their first loss of the season lose to Crystal Palace? A bit of randomness, but it has to be two different teams in each game. So at this point the title race is almost as much psychological as it is about anything else. Both City and Liverpool have the pieces to win every time, so it's really a matter of which one can perform consistently enough to take the title.

At this stage of the season, the EPL has become a bit more interesting, not just in terms of the possible champion but the top six teams are fighting it out for the lucrative Champions League spots. A resurgent Manchester Utd have clawed their way back into contention after an incredible run of wins after "The Special One" was emptied and replaced by Ole. I watched Spurs grab a last gasp winner against Fulham. It's going to take nerves of steel in Manchester and Liverpool to win the title.

Liverpool starting to look nervy, dropping points against Leicester and West Ham. West Ham FFS !!

City also not looking as invincible as they were last year. They've dropped 4 in 25 matches played, where last year they dropped 2 the entire season. I wonder if something accounts for that difference, maybe teams are adapting to them? Or might just be statistically insignificant.

City go top for now. They have a tricky game against Chelsea next while Liverpool look to have an easier game against Bournemouth. If Liverpool drop points against Bournemouth, they have bottled it.

City go top for now. They have a tricky game against Chelsea next while Liverpool look to have an easier game against Bournemouth. If Liverpool drop points against Bournemouth, they have bottled it.
Technically, they are in the lull Man City were in earlier. So Liverpool is more leveling up with Man City. If City walk away with three against Chelsea, they'll have done what Liverpool did a month ago with their gauntlet. This is definitely a tight race.

My goodness, Chelsea were schooled on Sunday. I'm surprised Sarri wasn't sacked at half time.

Yeah, the Chelsea match up just has two words needed for a summary, "WTF Chelsea?!"

Tottenham huge win against Dortmund, 3-0. Incredible stuff. Real Madrid "squeeks" away with 3 points against a determine underweight Ajax.

Advantage to Citeh as Liverpool drop points in the Liverpool derby. And Totenham, oh dear, they are in danger of being overtaken by Man Utd. This has been the most interesting title race for a few seasons now.

5 or 6 games remaining in the EPL schedule. Liverpool and Manchester City are battling it out Rutherford v Mears style. I'll say that Manchester City have been winning like Champions while Liverpool have been... winning. Champions usually are the team that turn losses into draws and draws into victories. And Liverpool has been doing that, all the while giving their fans strokes and heart attacks. Luckily, this past weekend didn't require a brain fart emission in a GK's skull to win the game.

This week marks the start of the quarterfinals. Man City take on Tottenham in Tottenham's new digs. Liverpool take on Portugal's shining star, Porto at Anfield. Knowing Liverpool, it'll finish 0-0, but kind of hoping for 3-0. Tottenham have been suffering greatly in the win column. If they wanted to change things, beating Man City would be nice. Go Spurs!

Both teams play on Sunday, I think, with Man City first (evens the games played) until Liverpool again play. Manchester City take on Tottenham an unprecedented 13 matches in a row in the next couple of weeks, so that should be unique.

Meanwhile, Stoke City, a very popular team in England ;), have managed 6 consecutive clean sheets, which is about half the all-time record. Regardless, this unbelievable run has netted them 10 pts... :( ... seeing they themselves have only scored three goals in the 2-4-0 run.

Former Stoke City striker is all you need to say to explain this unbelievably bad offensive maneuver.
article said:
With the score at 1-1, Choupo-Moting's teammate Christopher Nkunku had produced a wonderful piece of skill to chip Strasbourg goalkeeper Matz Sels and his shot looked to be rolling harmlessly over the line.

Then Cameroon international Choupo-Moting needlessly took a touch and somehow diverted the ball onto the foot of the post from less than a yard out to prevent his side from regaining the lead.
Just shield that ball from the defender and you are up 2-1. Left Stoke City on a free transfer, after playing for one season in a three season deal.

With a play like that, we can see why.

Liverpool take the road less traveled (for them) and win convincingly 2-0. It isn't over, but Liverpool helped make the trip to Porto less of a nail biter. Still need to have a good showing.

Tottenham gave Man City all they could... and beat them 1-0, though Harry Kane might be out for the season with an injury. Man City missed a PK and that will make things more interesting. Tottenham's win means Man City must win by 2, or take it in PKs.

Man Utd quite fortunate to win today. Not a good performance at all, I don't rate Pogba at all. Man Citeh should go top on Monday. An interesting run in this season.

Record second place in EPL is 89 pts (Man United). Liverpool or Man City should comfortably break that. Which will be a crushing feeling to not win the Title with over 90 points.

City took out Palace and Liverpool handled Chelsea effectively. City now play Tottenham twice, in a row. Will City get back on the horse, or will Tottenham have their number. Then they face MU at Old Trafford with a crowd that won’t know how to cheer.

At this point only wins matter, Champions League and EPL.

Ajax returning to form of yesteryear, back when I was beginning to delve into European Soccer back when it wasn't often on television. They defeated Juventus in Italy, and I think they'll be a serious threat to either Tottenham or Manchester City... of whom play today.

Manchester United's repeat PSG dream went down in non-punnery flames as Barcelona blanked them to head to face the winner of Porto v Liverpool, who also play today and of which the Reds have a 2-0 advantage.

Liverpool v Porto - Porto had some control early, but then Liverpool picked it up and won comfortably.

Tottenham v Man City - OMFG!!! A poster named Liminus (sp?) used to post here and was a Spurs fan. I'm thinking he is quite happy at the moment. Unbelievable! Spurs in the Semi-Final. Incredible.

The question is will this galvanize Man City for their last of the three-fer with Tottenham this Saturday for the EPL match-up, or is Tottenham in Man City's head and Liverpool might move atop the table?

Back
Top Bottom